Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of HoBeHoBe
    @hobe

Hi,
    I am selling one of three units in my investment property. The buyer is an elderly lady with a small dog and the REA is asking if this would be a problem. I am renting the other two units and don't want to scare off my tenants. I am planning to sell the other two units in the next couple of years. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should sell to the dog owner or wait for someone else? 

Many thanks /HoBe

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Is it in body corporate rules that she can't have a pet? Sorry I am failing to see the problem – is there no yard?  Not all small dogs are yappy – we have one here that is extremely quiet

Profile photo of HoBeHoBe
    @hobe

Currently, I am the BC as I own all three units. I havn't put any rules regarding pets in the by-laws. However, none of my tenants have a dog or a pet (as far as I know). Personally, I have no problem with a dog at the property. I guess what I am asking is what is the likelyhood that my tenats move out just because a dog moves into the block.
    There is a yard, but it's not partitioned between the units. Thanks for the tip about the by-laws, I will add a clause about the rules of keeping pets.
    I have no idea if the dog is yappy :-).

Profile photo of AndrewBuysHousesAndrewBuysHouses
    Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

Interesting one this…

A few years ago my father went to one of his houses to fix the shower and was greeted at the door by the tenants large dog in the house!  This was a surprise as we had a strict "no dogs" rule.  The tenant apparently thought Dad was just the maintenance guy, and told Dad that the agent said "What the landlord don't know, won't hurt him!" lol.

Anyway, if they're particularly good tenants, or you're the one place in Australia with large vacancy rates, have you considered asking your tenants what they think of dogs?

As for yappy dogs, it's my experience that small dogs are normally yappy if they're outside dogs.  If a lap dog is going to be yappy, it's generally only while the owner is away.  If the owner is a senior citizen, she may be the type that takes the dog with ehr everywhere anyway, and no-one will ever hear the dog.

In the end, it's really up to you.

Andrew

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

There is also council regulations on animals barking
    Not sure what law it is in your state but in Victoria it is
    Domestic (Feral & Nuisance) Animals Act 1994
    The law makers created a law that your dog is not allowed to bark and that you are not allowed to have a dog as a guard dog !
    This was suppose to stop dogs attacking children and people.
    In the current news in the west suburb of victoria this law doesn't work at stopping dog attacks as two children have been attacked .
    Maybe they should have involved some dog owners in what causes dogs to attack as barking doesn't mean a dog is going to attack you.
    It is more of a warning signal of a guard behavior that is in the dogs nature.
    So if your other tenants log when the dog barks they can complain to the council and the dog owner gets fined.
    It only takes one complaint even though your other neighbours don't mind your dog barking.

Profile photo of HoBeHoBe
    @hobe

Thanks for the great stories and comments. I just can’t believe that someone would actually legislate against dogs barking! Did they write the rules in dog lingo so that the dogs would get it?

Andrew, as i am currently overseas myself, I don’t even dare to think what’s really going on at my property :-). I am going to take my chances with this lady and her dog. I’ll take some precautions and put down in the by-laws that the dog has to be quite after 6 pm ;-).

Anyway, my tenants asked me to build a higher fence, because a big scary dog from the neighborhood was coming into the yard. Who knows, maybe the small yappy dog will keep it away :-).

Many thanks for your insights.

HoBe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.