All Topics / Value Adding / Brick interior walls

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Maybe its just me, but I hate these. Whats the best option for doing something about them? Generally speaking is doing something (like say putting up plaster over them) a value add, or not really just a personal preference?

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Exactly… simple and easy. If it's making the rooms cold I'm not sure if plaster acts as an insultation. I have a double red brick wall on one side of the building and it seems to be coldish down Victoria so i have planned sometime to either plaster and or insulate it with something!

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

You might price it several ways – render or  plaster. Render is tougher. According to one renderer I spoke to a few weeks ago who does a lot of heritage work, best to render with the gray stuff, then wait 2 weeks then add colour coat.  S'pose it depends if you're going to live in it or it's an investment property.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

plaster is cheaper and a better finish for inside, smoother etc, cant make comment about if it adds value or not as it depends on the type of house/architecture.

For example people who painted the outside of federation brick homes, exposed the brciks in old terraces,rendered there 50s bungalows, stuck sun rooms on there terrace balconies, paved 70 bricks over there porches, all in the name of fashion of the day seriously devalued there homes.

Just something to consider.

Profile photo of mel_d01mel_d01
    @mel_d01

Hi Bjaust,

Yes, I do think plastering would add value, you'll be surprised how much brighter the room becomes (esp painted in neutral white tones) and if your trying to sell people can easily visualise painting a different colour compared to re-plastering. Rendering internally was popular in 90s, something to think about is quiet a lot of work (sanding) is req if you decide to change your mind down the track. Although rendering could possibly be a cheaper option placing directly over bricks.

Mel

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

I was just reading an article about a lady who collects hair from women's hairdressers to make her home render for her house restoration. Apparently human hair is very strong :-)

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Thanks for all the responses. I guess at some point brick walls could come back in favor, but by the same light I dont think plaster walls will ever go out of favor. Looking at a block of flats, old 70s brick boxes basically. Structurally ok, kitchens need an update, but with the walls between the flats being bare brick on each side.

Profile photo of neetyneety
    @neety

I know what you mean.  I have 2 properties that are besa block.  I definitely wont buy them again, there a pain even to put a screw in the wall.  I bought a little hotel unit in Surfers and doing it up at the mo'.  Ive used no more nails on the gibrock.  Its expensive tho' cause I use one tube for only 2  sheets of plaster.  I personally think it makes the room warmer , rather than just to a skim render.  Im wall papering over the gib.

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

You can do one of three things, you can plaster the walls, you can render the walls, or you can texture coat the walls, texture coating is actually very durable, it trowels on like render or plaster and you finish it with a float, you can get it coloured so there is no need to paint it after.

Profile photo of voussoirvoussoir
    @voussoir

I assume you are mentioning "face brick" walls?

You will have to remove and replace the cornice.  Solid plastering involves a lot of cement and quite messy if you intend on keeping the floor coverings. Float one day, set a few days later.

You can drywall with 6mm sheet. The gyprocker can also put in new cornices while he is there in one hit. One trade.
    Less mess.

Drop sheets, drop sheets and drop sheets. Keep on top of the mess by assisting in the clean up.

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Another option is to "bag" the walls with a sand and cement slurry applied with a broom. Then it can be painted over, or if you're adventurous use a light coloured sand and off white cement (with some waterproofer) and leave it.

Bagging is a bit "rustic" but it's also cheap and effective. I believe the term came from the practice of using hessian bags to apply the sand and cement.

Profile photo of torrentetorrente
    @torrente

I recently bagged walls in my lounge room and it turned out great, I have huge deep motor cracks and took a lot to fill but wanted to maintain that brick wall look. I ended up adding sand as the standard bag mixture was too runny. I hope to paint it in the next week or so. I thought of dry wall but then had the issue of blending it with a vermiculite ceiling so… bagging was not only the easy way out for me but the preferred overall finish.

Profile photo of Lplate101Lplate101
    @lplate101

Did anyone know of a builder that could help me with that kind of thing in Brisbane?

Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call

We had a room the dimensions of a perfect cube-12'x12'x12' with very ugly bricks floor to ceiling, including an area where an old internal brick chimney had been removed leaving uneven broken brick in one section and soot stained/heat damaged bricks in another.  We Gyprocked the lot.  basically the method was get a hammer and bash the walls to scuff the brickwork every 1-2 feet apart.  The gyprockers whacked plaster in these scuffs and then just glued the sheeting to the walls.  Once dried, the filled the cracks between sheets as per normal and put up fancy cornice, then I painted it all as per normal (plus added a frieze etc etc, boring decoration details).

But it was no more expensive than sheeting a bare room with stud walls except for the 12' ceilings.

Thoroughly recommend it.  Great "normal" finish

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.