All Topics / Help Needed! / RE Agent contradicting himself?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita

Hi all,

Saw a house we are thinking of buying as our PPOR. Rang week ago, couldn't see then as tenants we "moving" so waited till today.

Meet up with agent who takes us to house which is still rentedto tenants.

Get out of car and agent says to pretend we are investors as the tenants don't know they're being kicked out, but tenants went for walk anyway. Noticed boxes around like they were packing. Asked if they were on periodical lease, agent says yes.

Went to look at land in area to possibly build, conversation comes back to first house. Asked agent how long tenants have been there…5 weeks. OK, boxes now looking like they were UN-packing, not packing, and agent now says depending on whether we give an offer depends on whether he can let the tenants know they have to move (thought they were being kicked out unbeknownst to them).

Another issue regarding price…agent says he's made a deal with the owner r.e. commission if he gets a certain price so probably won't go below such and such a price. (apparantly owner wants to walk away with a certain amount).

Anyone have any thoughts, warning signs here? We do, just looking for opinions.

Cheers

Karl and Rita

Profile photo of ajaydee73ajaydee73
    Participant
    @ajaydee73

A dishonest salesman. Not atypical.

Profile photo of AndrewBuysHousesAndrewBuysHouses
    Participant
    @andrewbuyshouses

Unfortunately all too common.

Remember if you know he is lying to someone else, why wouldn't he lie to you??

However, I'm not at all concerned about the deal with the owner re: commission – I'm quite happy with that idea if it's true.  However, given everything else that's occured that could be crap as well.

I'm pretty big on honesty, so I would probably not buy the house just to avoid pleasing the agent!  I'd also probably leave an anonymous tip in the letterbox telling the tenants what he's doing!   However, if you do want the house and think you can get it for a price you want, then as long as you check everything he tells you there should be no problems. 

One thing we like to do with agents who are prone to say whatever crosses their mind at the time, is write down what they say about a property as they say it, and then ask him to sign that piece of paper as a record of everything he's said.  If they're honest then it won't be a problem for them.  If they've lied through their teeth for 15 minutes, watch them change their whole story on the spot!

Andrew

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1
    AndrewBuysHouses wrote:

One thing we like to do with agents who are prone to say whatever crosses their mind at the time, is write down what they say about a property as they say it, and then ask him to sign that piece of paper as a record of everything he's said.  If they're honest then it won't be a problem for them.  If they've lied through their teeth for 15 minutes, watch them change their whole story on the spot!

Andrew

As an agent I couldn't agree more. Keep ém honest, accountability is one of the must haves in this business..

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Absolutely stupid question, if I may? What does the contract say? Is it subject to tenancies or vacant possession? That alone will give you the required information regardless of what the agent has stated.

In NSW, if the tenant is under a lease, they cannot be terminated prior to expiry (unless the place burns down etc).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.