All Topics / General Property / How to do your own settlement when you’re the seller?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of lmmartinlmmartin
    @lmmartin

Hi everyone, I just want to know as I'm selling my land, do I need a settlement agent or can I do my own settlement? As I'm quite tight with my budget right now and if I can do my own settlement that would be great. If I can do my own settlement as the seller, how do I go about doing that and what are the steps involved?

Many thanks!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Nothing to stop you acting for yourself when selling the property however for a small outlay in engaging you will be legally protected if anything goes wrong.

As the Vendor you are responsible in drawing up the purchase contract, providing your buyer with answers to all of their search requests, organising the settlement date and discharging any mortgage you have on the land.

Must admit i have bought and sold well over 250 properties in the last 12 years and I still wouldnt do my own conveyancing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I'm a lawyer by trade and I have never done my own conveyancing.  Yes you can do it yourself, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could get yourself in all sorts of trouble.

You are better off paying a few hundred dollars and making sure that you get the job done properly (and if it isn't done properly you can sue the conveyancer).

Cheers

K

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.