All Topics / Value Adding / Duplex costs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of whitebaitwhitebait
    @whitebait

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience in the total costs of duplex development, except the purchase of the land? I’ve seen sites with prices on their designs but it’s hard to tell what they include and what gets added to the bill.

Typical design would be a 1 story, 2-3 bedroom. Built around the hunter area if that would increase costs.

Any information of relevance would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Alex

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hi Whitebait
    We are builders in Qld and build a lot of duplex's.
    Duplex product is really not much different to a single house.
    If the product is built to strata title levels there is an amount of $3 – 5000 extra.
    This said the cost should be equal to a standard home as there is the saving of one wall due to the use of the party wall.
    I am not up to speed with NSW costs.
    If you are looking to purchase the duplex off the plan in  a back to back contract, you also save on stamp duty.
    Regards
    Bluegrass

Profile photo of whitebaitwhitebait
    @whitebait

Thanks Bluegrass. What sort of figure would you be building duplexes in QLD for on average?

Would a Duplex build including all costs (minus cost of land) be achievable for say $200,000 in NSW?

Regards,
    Alex

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hi Whitebait
    A full turnkey price with commissions would be 930 – 1080 m2
    The higher amount for less m2

Profile photo of kaleidoscopesskaleidoscopess
    @kaleidoscopess

Hi All

I have a similar question.

I have never previously built – but have a vague idea of the building process.

I am perplexed to the massive variations in quotes for building a duplex in Sydney – asked a builder mate and they quoted between 600-800k for a 2 storey brick veneer duplex with around and gross floor area of 250m2. This seems incredibly steep and not realsitic?

Then I see project-home builders quote for aorund 200k for a decent looking single storey house. Given a duplex would be a larger house (with double everything and common wall), I though the price would be closer to maybe 300k?

I understand that a builer as a principle contractor for a project would charge heaps more than say an owner/builder using a foreman to manage the difficult parts?

Is this right?

I'm just trying to crunch down the numbers on numerous projects I see – and when I hit the constructin cost area the numbers go through the roof?!?

Bluegrass- I'm not sure if those numbers would apply here in Sydney, but they seem much more reasonable.

Anyone builidng a duplex/similar development in Syd can give me some advice/costs prices?

I may consider studying for a builders license if that would make the process more feasible.

Any advice, would be much appreciated

Cheers

Profile photo of mandystojmandystoj
    @mandystoj
    kaleidoscopess wrote:

Hi All

I have a similar question.

I have never previously built – but have a vague idea of the building process.

I am perplexed to the massive variations in quotes for building a duplex in Sydney – asked a builder mate and they quoted between 600-800k for a 2 storey brick veneer duplex with around and gross floor area of 250m2. This seems incredibly steep and not realsitic?

Then I see project-home builders quote for aorund 200k for a decent looking single storey house. Given a duplex would be a larger house (with double everything and common wall), I though the price would be closer to maybe 300k?

I understand that a builer as a principle contractor for a project would charge heaps more than say an owner/builder using a foreman to manage the difficult parts?

Is this right?

I'm just trying to crunch down the numbers on numerous projects I see – and when I hit the constructin cost area the numbers go through the roof?!?

Bluegrass- I'm not sure if those numbers would apply here in Sydney, but they seem much more reasonable.

Anyone builidng a duplex/similar development in Syd can give me some advice/costs prices?

I may consider studying for a builders license if that would make the process more feasible.

Any advice, would be much appreciated

Cheers

Hi, I'm building a Duplex similar to your 250sqm size, with above standard inclusions and a pool. Our Builder is doing it all (driveways, pool and everything) for 800k. This was higher than I had imagined but all the quotes ranged from 700k-1mil. Double brick was even higher!

The price given to lock-up stage was around 500k (they didnt give exact quote as we only wanted approx).

Profile photo of Sailesh CSailesh C
    @sailesh-c

We build around 10 duplexes a year in Brisbane at a turn key price of around $930 per sqm for a 4 bedroom duplex with dlug. This price includes plans an approvals and some extras such as ceiling fans, air conditioning stone bench tops, etc Our rate for houses are very similar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.