All Topics / General Property / Architect vs Project home

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of SnowballSnowball
    @snowball

Hi Everyone

My husband and I have just purchased a block of land with great potential for ocean views, and very close to the beach.  Although I have never used one, I would like to involve an architect to design a house around the views and then project manage it myself working with a builder, but my husband would probably prefer to modify a project home.  He doesn't feel there is value in using an architect.  The block is quite unique and the views are not that straight forward, as we need to work around a building in front, between us and the beach.  

The land is in a very exclusive suburb and we have an onsell price of approx $1,600,000, my fear is we won't get it right modifying a project home, and it will look like a project home, which I don't want to happen, we have a budget to build of about $500,000.

Has anybody had a similar experience !! Or do you have any suggestions !!

Snowball

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I love a line our building teacher run off in classes one day. It was a simple line but it rang true and also made me laugh in class because i sensed the sarcasm in the way it was said.

"Architects think we can build these plans."

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If the suburb's median is $1.5M then an architect's fee is an investment not a cost however you will need to rule with budget etc. You won't get much for $500k as a one-off. You may need to go to one of the top end project home builders like Krslovic in Sydney to get something which will work ( but still over $500k)

Profile photo of SnowballSnowball
    @snowball

Thanks for your reply,

We have spoken to Krslovic, but unfortunately they don't build on the Central Coast……

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It may be worth looking at Binet homes as an alternative

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

What information could you inquire about from people that have built similar houses not to much distance away along the coast?

@snowball

Sorry Jaffasoft

is that a question or a suggestion ?? 

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Yes i put it to you to serve couple of  purposes!

For me, I am curious to learn as you unfold with this as it's interesting and something i know nothing about as well as putting the question out there for anyone else that might answer it for you. 

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hi Snowball
    As a builder in Qld may I suggest you look for a builder that has an in-house drafty.
    We have one and all the odd blocks 'sloping etc' can be built on and too a budget if you let the builder know right from the start.
    Find a builder who is hands on.
    The project guy will charge like a wounded bull and it will be one of his supervisors doing the work.
    Regards
    Kevin

@snowball

Thanks Bluegrass

Thats the path Im going down at present…..

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

You may say I am bias being as I am a designer/architect but the benifits of using an architect over a project home company are many and like most things you pay for what you get, and if you get a good architect you will not regret it.

Its not just about what the house will look like that you should be considering or be concerned about. There are many issues that an architect is trained to address that a project home builder will not such as;

1.  A design that is designed for the site
    2. Considers enviromental  issues such as views, heating, energy efficency, protection from summer sun and winter weather.
    3. Functionality of sapce, simple uncluttered planning, efficient use of space, well considered use of the latest materials and finishes etc and a coherant well considered design down to every detail.
    4. An architect can provide you with a better quality of life, a much improved lifestyle and add value far beyond a generic project home that is always almost the same as the next one.

I guess you need to ask yourselve what are you trying to acheive, a genenic home on a budget or a home.

If you want anymore info you can email me at [email protected]

grant

Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Event Horizon wrote:

Its not just about what the house will look like that you should be considering or be concerned about. There are many issues that an architect is trained to address that a project home builder will not such as;

1.  A design that is designed for the site
    2. Considers enviromental  issues such as views, heating, energy efficency, protection from summer sun and winter weather.
    3. Functionality of sapce, simple uncluttered planning, efficient use of space, well considered use of the latest materials and finishes etc and a coherant well considered design down to every detail.
    4. An architect can provide you with a better quality of life, a much improved lifestyle and add value far beyond a generic project home that is always almost the same as the next one.

Grant, I'd conceded easily with points 1 and possibly 4 however when you are looking at non-volume project home builders such as Krslovic (they limit themselves to less than 20 houses per year albeit over $10M t/o), they do employ an in-house architect or are aligned with an architect, others such as Binet are designed (& built) to a high specification. Purchasers at this end of the market are often seeking a designed solution without having to separately engage an architect/engineer etc.

Generally, I have found that many 'project homes' at this end of the market are well designed (meeting/exceeding basix), they are not aimed at the FHB market, considerable effort has been expended in achieving a consistent result (ie QA or 'high end building for dummies') and consequently are aimed at a more informed buyer not someone just looking to get 'bang for their buck'.

Profile photo of KuradjiKuradji
    @kuradji

Look at a draftsman – can be more willing to work with what you want than an architect.

From bitter personal experience, I suggest you avoid building with an outfit “The Home Team” once based at Northmead.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.