All Topics / General Property / NRAS Investments

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Profile photo of dspemikdspemik
    @dspemik

I registered just to reply to this one.

wealth4life.com wrote:
    This smells like housing commission to me because you are renting the properties to people who are desperate and probably will not look after the property … no thanks.

You might want to check the minimum income requirements to be eligible to rent these places. The last time I checked, a single person can rent them out if he/she earns over $41K. Surely people earning that much aren't all desperate ratbags are they?

wealth4life.com wrote:
    The properties are located in crap areas with terrible growth and toooooooo far away from bus, train, westfield, hospitals, schools etc … once again no thanks.

The properties are located wherever the builder chooses to build. NRAS properties are not confined to crappy woop woop land. I have also heard that they wont approve properties for NRAS if they are clumped up in a group so as to avoid ghetto effect.

This are just what I have heard so far so please correct me if i'm wrong with any of this as I am willing to learn the facts
    Could this be a flop or a good investment?  I dont know, but I can tell you right now that with any proposition, I try to approach it with an open mind and LOTS and LOTS of questions  ….rather than just shooting off my own opinions and ASSumptions …especially without the backing of experience

Regards
    Dennis

Profile photo of pullypully
    @pully

re NRAS, would any of the builder/developers like to tell us what inducements were offered by the govt to participate in this venture?
    was it cheap land for example, or something similar?

certainly the new builds appear to be on small blocks or are in high density type of arrangements.

some have suggested that some properties seem to be priced higher than market value too.

we are being told some of the potential benefits for investors,but just curious about some other aspects of this scheme.

the fact that the investor cannot choose the property manager is a concern too.
    so far a win for the govt, potential tenants and builder/developers. remains to be seen the benefit to investors. 

Profile photo of dspemikdspemik
    @dspemik
    pully wrote:
    some have suggested that some properties seem to be priced higher than market value too

I am curious about too.  I have seen some NRAS properties in some new estates. It might be a good idea to ask the builder how much some lots in that estate cost, and see if that is any different to the NRAS property right next to it.

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung

There is an article in the latest API magazine re NRAS properties.  The figures look compelling.  I'm going to contact the 3 builders mentioned and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Aztec Developments, Awesome1 Property and Surat Basin Homes.

The most attractive thing about these properties is that they are cash flow positive from day 1.  Even if capital gain is not great in the first few years, I'm sure that over a long period ie 10 years, that they will do well. The other big attraction is the depreciation allowances as all the properties have to be new,

Profile photo of garybatzgarybatz
    Participant
    @garybatz

Hi Wuzziemoo,

Just wondering how your NRAS property has worked out so far – tenant quality, property managers etc. Do you feel the purchase price was reasonable in hindsight?

Reading this & other posts there seems to be a lot of misinformation & confusion about NRAS so any direct experience you can share would be most helpful.

Cheers

Gary

Profile photo of wuzziemoowuzziemoo
    @wuzziemoo

Hi Gary

The property was completed at the end of November and was built to a good standard. The tenant has been great so far, no problems with rent, their employed and they keep the property clean( a little early to make a full judgment).

The developers have been helpful and understanding all the way through (issues with banks). They seem to be doing a good job as property managers and don't have any complaints yet.

The property price seem comparable to other new builds in the area. It is a bit more expensive than existing properties.

There are starting to be a fair few companies offering this scheme. There are a few i wouldn't go near but there are some, like the one i went with that i believe are worth giving a go. The way I looked at it was that i would probably have bought this property without the NRAS so it's just a bonus.

Wuzziemoo

Participant
    @garybatz

Thanks Kane, glad to hear it is working out well so far.

Was it Paramount that you are with in Tas? I’ve seen their website & they seem to have a few still on the go.

Wondering who the ones are that you say you wouldn’t touch – happy for a PM if you’d rather not post publicly.

Gary

@wuzziemoo

Hi Gary

It was paramount i went with. There are other ones i wouldn't touch but that was mainly because too much of the development was dedicated to the NRAS scheme. There wasn't a good mixture of home buyers, private investor and NRAS. I personally feel that these types of development could end up as a bad area. Especially the apartment blocks.

Kane

Participant
    @garybatz

Hi Again Kane,

I’m leaning towards going ahead with an NRAS purchase as well. You mentioned issues with banks. My mortgage broker has already suggested it’ll be hard to find a lender for NRAS. Could you advise what the main issues were from the lenders & how you resolved them? Was it one of the main banks you went with in the end?

Thanks

Gary

@wuzziemoo

Hi Gary

I didn't have any problem with the Banks due to the NRAS but i did have issues with valuations. Some valued the new property low and some valved my PPOR low (for the LOC). Ended up with the NAB. They valued the new property at the going price, paramount said the vauler they use is on the panel for the NAB . They valued my PPOR 10k low, the valuer did a site visit after the loans had been drawn up and reassessed his paper valuation and came up with the same figure i had. The rest of the problem was with the commonwealth, they had lost some paper work that held us for about 3 weeks.

Kane

Participant
    @garybatz

Thanks Kane. My broker is suggesting NAB anyway so sounds like it will be ok.

Cheers, Gary

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I still don't understand why people want to buy NRAS property just because of small tax advantage.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    god_of_money wrote:
    I still don't understand why people want to buy NRAS property just because of small tax advantage.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong

The tax advantage is not small.  It is currently $8600 per year, indexed to inflation. It is this payment that usually makes these properties, cash flow positive.  Where else can you get a cash flow positive property in a great location close to 2 major cities?  I've recently signed up for a NRAS property in Loganlea.  The builder said that they would only be approved if the property was close to transport, schools, shopping and hospitals . Well this property is about 1.5 kilometres from a major hospital and train station, it is a 2 minutes drive to a university and TAFE, across the road from a large shopping centre, and walking distance to primary and secondary schools.  It is also very close to the motorway which can get you to the Gold Coast in 40 minutes and to Brisbane CBD in about 25 minues. 

A lot of people don't realise that a family can earn up to $91,000 and still qualify as a tenant in one of these properties so you are not necessary housing low income earners and unemployed.  The government is very conscious of ghettos so will only allow, in most cases, a maximum of 30% NRAS in each new development. 

I've signed up for a second property in Chinchilla where again I'll be cash flow positive.  I'm still investigating all the pros and cons of NRAS but am at the moment convinced that they are a great investment

Profile photo of gooseheadgoosehead
    Participant
    @goosehead

I have been considering the NRAS schemefor some time now due to the properties being positve geared but I am worried about the following interpretive decision.  Has any one factored this into there calculations?  If mine are correct it takes away a lot of the advantage and the properties will end up negative geared.

ATO interperative decision ATO ID 2009/146

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?Docid=AID/AID2009146/00001&PiT=99991231235958

I have talked to a few different groups that insist they have found a way to get around the decision, just wondering what is happening with the guys that actually own properties?

Participant
    @garybatz

Hi Goosehead,

I had the same concern as I found that ruling as well. However, there is more information on the general ATO website. The key issue is that the individual dwelling owner needs to enter into the lease directly with the tenants, not the property manager (i.e. the community housing agency). The agency can act as the property manager though. See this page on the website:

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/00225605.htm&page=23&H23

Hopefully someone currently in the scheme can further reassure us.

Cheers

Gary

Profile photo of StevePasStevePas
    @stevepas

Hi All
    I have been looking at  an NRAS property for a client of mine and have produced a cashflow analysis tool in Excel.
    In every example i run the NRAS produces a better cashflow than the same property done as a standard investment property.
    In and after year 2 is where the NRAS really makes a big difference. One should expect to be up to $100,000 better off with an NRAS property over the 10 year period, not to bad..
    OK there are extra cost and rules to consider, yet if you are really in it as an investor ( going to keep it for 10 years or so) as opposed to a speculator then it looks pretty good.I havent had any problems with the lenders I use for my clients getting finance. Mind you there are some banks out there that do not understand NRAS yet  and as such you may not get what you want from them. Still if you know how to present it to the banks   one does not have a problem getting the finance, provided the rest of the customers details are in order.
    As with anything do your homework, like most things in life it is not everybodys cup of tea.

Profile photo of JPS25JPS25
    Participant
    @jps25

NRAS no need to worry about the new tax ruling 2009/147 as that is being sorted out as the whole idea of this scheme was to get investors involved to boost housing. This is a letter that I recently recieved:-

Mr Mike Myers Chief Executive OfficerQueensland Affordable Housing Consortium Ltd. Dear Mike,I am writing on behalf of the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs to confirm that the Government’s intention is that investors receive their full entitlement to the NRAS Incentive.The Hon Tanya Plibersek MP, Minister for Housing wrote to QAHC on the 24 December 2009 to address the consortium’s concerns related to whether investors are entitled to receive the full value of the NRAS incentive and to address any perceived ambiguity created as a result of the Australian Taxation Office’s ATOID 2009/146, in particular its reference to NEJV and participation in NRAS.  The Minister and Treasurer committed to a workable solution through an initial administrative solution and longer term to a legislative fix.  As advised in the letter of 13 January 2010 the Department has worked with the ATO to finalise an administrative solution to resolving the tax issues for non-entity joint ventures who may be affected in the 2009/10 financial year.  Regulatory and legislative amendments will be introduced in 2010 to effect a permanent fix for future years. An administrative solution has been agreed and is in the process of being implemented and will address the issue where, under current arrangements, certain entities participating as members of joint ventures involving head leasing and sub leasing arrangements may potentially have their NRAS Incentive taxed. The ATO has advised the Department that, depending on the legal form of the certificate, Incentives may be received tax free by the lead agency/approved participant; but they cannot be passed on to other members of the joint venture such as the investor/owner of the dwelling without a potential tax liability being passed onto the investor/owner.  When the lead agency passes on the incentive to the dwelling owner, income tax could be applied to the payment. The administrative solution will resolve the issue by issuing tax offset certificates directly to the investors/owners and in a format that will meet the ATO’s requirements to enable the offset to be obtained by the NRAS investor/dwelling owner without tax applying. The lead agency will also receive a consolidated copy of the certificates with dwelling schedules, as is current practice, for their records. The ATO has confirmed that this approach will meet their requirements. This approach is a short term solution to give practical effect to the Scheme’s policy intent that investors receive the full entitlement of the NRAS Incentive. I hope this letter is of assistance in clarifying the approach to the administrative solution and look forward to working with you to ensure the success of this solution. Yours sincerely Susan FinniganBranch ManagerAffordable Housing Branch8/02/2010

So as you can see the government is working with the ATO to fix the problems that have arisen.

The tax incentive started off as $6000 fed government and $2000 state indexed linked at the moment it is just above $8600. This amount is in your hand untaxed and will not be taxed so is actually worth a lot more depending on your tax rate. It is obvious that a lot of the reply's on this subject are by people who have not looked in detail as to what the government is trying to achieve. These properties are to a high standard and have to fit certain criteria as to where they are built, such as high need area's. They are meant for single working people earning over $40000 to families earning up to $90k+ . They sign a lease for 1, 3 or 5 years so you have stability. The tax incentive covers the shortfall in rent due to lower returns of between 20-25.1% plus it also covers most if not all of the property fee's this depend on how much the rent is. This is why they are classed as cashflow and secure.   

Profile photo of tonywwptonywwp
    @tonywwp

Just be aware with NRAS that mortgage insurers will not go near it so you are limited to which lenders will fund. As far as I know max LVR is around 80%. This may not be attractive to investors later down the track if you ever want to sell.
    Best Regards
    Tony Born
    Senior Mortgage Consultant
    [email protected]
    0407 617 141

Profile photo of rinniarinnia
    Participant
    @rinnia

Hi
    I have been investigating NRAS properties in South East Queensland. I have struck a problem with the bank (NAB) I know someone else here said they went through NAB. Bank wants to charge me $500 to look at the documents and then they are just as likely to reject it.  They do not seem at all keen.  Has anyone else struck this? Any suggestions?

thanks

R

Profile photo of Think TankThink Tank
    @think-tank

From the news headlines:

The federal government's $623 million plan to boost the number of affordable rental properties has hit another stumbling block, after the Tax Office ruled that mum-and-dad investors were not eligible for tax breaks under the scheme.The ruling leaves hundreds of small investors – who had already bought properties approved under the scheme – in limbo about the promise of a $8600 annual tax break over a decade.

It is the second shock ruling from the Tax Office to hit the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS), which aims to add 50,000 new low-cost rental homes by mid-2012.The Tax Office ruled that companies and non-profit groups with NRAS approval could not transfer the tax break to individual investors.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.