All Topics / Finance / Equity as deposit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of PropertySeekerPropertySeeker
    Participant
    @propertyseeker

Hi all,

i am about to buy an investment property valued at 300k and need to put down a deposit of 10%, i.e 30k….I have been told I can use equity in my home for the deposit. If I were to do this, is my new loan $270k? or is it $300k?

Thanks
    PropertySeeker

Profile photo of Chris-SydChris-Syd
    Participant
    @chris-syd

You would need to get a loan against your current home to get access to teh equity 30K. Then borrow $270k  for the rest.
    So in total your loans would be $300k.

Don't forget about legals and stamp duty and other fees etc.

So you will be going for  90% loan against the investment property $270k and the depost + fees from you equity.

Profile photo of PropertySeekerPropertySeeker
    Participant
    @propertyseeker

so that 30K from my equity is also consider "borrowed" money and I have to pay interest on that as well?

Thanks
    PropertySeeker

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi PS

Yes you do as you will need a total amount of $300K (Ignoring acqusition costs) to settle the purchase.

In this example $270K is secured on the new IP and the $30K on your PPOR or other property.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Richard, would you consider that as cross collateralisation? Or would you suggest that PS have a LOC against his house for the deposit & out of pocket expenses?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes in an ideal world I would establish a LOC against the PPOR and a totally separate standalone loan against the new IP.

If 1 loan is taken out for the total amount the loans will have to be crossed and not my favoured way.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.