All Topics / Finance / Insurance Bonds & Investment Loans

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Trying to think out of the box here.  Lots of assumptions, so bear with me.

Firstly, do insurance bonds (with deferred interest/zero tax payable after 10 years) still exist?

If I could free up say $100k equity from a PPOR (not that I have it), is investing in an insurance bond at say 4-5% classed as an investment, hence is the cost of borrowing deductible against the (deferred) interest recieved? I am assuming that investing in a bond as it pays a return is still classed as an investment even though it will not generate a return for 10 years. I know that this would result in a guaranteed loss of say $2-3k pa (difference in interest rates) – hedging my bets & using a little arbitrage.

Assuming that the bonds still exist (and still can be purchased), can I use one as security for a loan – whether it be via a bank guarantee issued against the bond or 100% mortgage against the bond? It is cash afterall hence very little risk to the lender. Would consider the capital guaranteed option if still available (lower risk with lower return).

If I then find something severely cf positive (ie not residential possibly retail/commercial – The deal that I am theoretically considering would return an IRR of 30% over the ten year timeframe), can I then legitimately use as much as I need from the bond as a deposit, get a cf positive deal & at the end of the ten years get my insurance bond money + interest tax free + any unrealised capital gain?

Or is the above scenario a) too much like hard work; b) not practical; c) not legal; d) not an approved scheme by ATO?

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely
    Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Thanks IP, that's the sort of thing I was looking at but I need to understand more about the product. Do I need to wait 10 years before I can borrow against these savings (or can I lob up and ask a bank to hold it as security prior to the 10 years)?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Thx Crosby, I noticed an article in May 09 Money Magazine hence the interest in the tax free status as well as trying to get a little creative in using the bond in lieu of a deposit (ie alternative security).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.