All Topics / Creative Investing / What constitutes newly constructed home?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

What constitutes a newly constructed home under the regional Victorian res building code?

What is the smallest size dwelling you would be aloud build without going to extremes?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally speaking it is a house/unit that has never previously been occupied eg new construction or refurbishment if major works have been carried out on an older block of units (completely refurbished block and all units sold off with new strata plan). You can even get away with it (sometimes) with the redevelopment/refurbishment of old motels with the conversion to strata resi.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with any of the peculiarities for the Victorian grants.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Thank you.

Is there any Draftpersons in here. Have you put small designs through Council and what's the smallest type of low cost finish dwelling that could later be expanded upon such as carport, shed, deck etc making separate Building Applications as you go. Will Council take plans drawn from an owner but not an owner builder.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally councils will accept drawings prepared by anyone provided that they meet the guidelines required by council for assessment ie must be a scaled drawing, show the entire lot/block, be fully dimensioned, show relative setbacks from boundaries, have a north point, show the height, reduced levels etc. You will also need to provide information about location of adjoining premises (if suburban) including position of neighbours windows, distance from boundary, length of building, shadow diagrams. You will also need to provide neighbour notification plans – shows the buidling envelope, setbacks etc (about 6 copies, sometimes more).

Best to speak with the duty planner (in person) to get the full list of requirements.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

The last time i consulted a private town planner and drew the plans to which this town planner had been an employee of the Council previously and stated that they would be fine! Then to have them sent back twice until i had to seek a Draftsperson to draw them up pretty much the same as i had done at $1320 delaying the project couple of months. I was told that Council would just not accept from people as they have to cover there arse.

I was wandering if it was different for a Resi block and the owner having a house built by a registered builder.

Profile photo of l_b29265l_b29265
    Participant
    @l_b29265

I think there was lady around the melbourne area  who built a 35sq.m(approx from memory) home (with a bathroom and bedroom in the roof space – sort of like a loft space) , not so long ago. She built it from mud bricks – and owner built it herself.  It coost her $20 K to build! So that is the smallest house I have heard of. (and the cheapest!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.