All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Strata Management Agreement – Help Needed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

The strata management agent has given me a new Strata Management Agency Agreement to sign on behalf of the strata owners.  After trying to plow through the document I feel very reluctant to sign something I do not totally understand even though it appears to be a fairly standard form (found one on http://www.smstrata.com.au/pdf/2008_StrataAgency_for_Corporate_Members.pdf).  I would prefer to take it to someone to check it but don't think I should bear the cost alone.

What is usual in this scenario?  Who do I take it too?  Is it usual to have an agreement checked by say a solicitor, and then have the cost born by the owners?  Do I need to seek their permission first?

It is a small strata of just 4 units and most owners live elsewhere or are otherwise not even interested in attending the twice yearly meeting.

Anyone experienced in this side of things?

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The appointment of the strata manager goes to a vote at the AGM (with proxies for those unable to attend). The cost of having the document reviewed would be borne by all owners and paid for from the admin fund (not the sinking fund). A solicitor could review and explain the document for you (or you may try the strata managers association or REI).

Generally, you would hold one meeting per year with all of the owners and monthly or what ever other interval which suits with the executive committee and strata manager.

Grab yourself a copy of the Strata Management Act & the regulations for your state (should be available on the net).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.