All Topics / Help Needed! / developing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of ANDREW BAXANDREW BAX
    Participant
    @andrew-bax

Hi all

I have got a couple of rentals and i have seen a good property for sale that would be good for developing. I would like some help where to start, Before i jump in with buying the property i would like to know who i could contact to find out the cost in regards to developing and maintaining.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Andrew

Profile photo of Yuppy Hippy 101Yuppy Hippy 101
    @yuppy-hippy-101

Hi Andrew

– Contact local builder for ESTIMATE of what you require. Allow another $50K-$60k per dwelling on top of builders price as an estimate.  Most builders don't include absolutely everything in their quote.  Read the fine print. 
    – Contact local council for DA requirements and fees for whole development.  The answer will probably be very vague as there are more than one department who deals with a development.  You will probably do the transfer merry-go-round. 
    – Contact a private town planner for fees if you don't want to deal with the council directly.
    – Allow 30% extra money as a "safety buffer" on top of final prices.
    – Contact a draftsmen for plan fees.
    – Contact a surveyor for fees
    – Contact an engineer for fees.
    – Cost for demolishing building if any?

All of the above are very hard to quote on a hypothetical.  Alot of developers do a feasability test  which involves getting the Development Approval and floor plans and getting quotes from builders after they have the floor plans.

I have done one 4 unit development.  Had no idea what I was doing.  Employed a builder who I felt I could trust and communicate well with.  Choose a well known builder, don't get the cheapest.  It is worth paying the extra for less headache.

I built 4 units in Toowoomba (west of Brisbane) for $580K which included absolutely all fees, just to give you a bit of an idea.

I have bought investment properties (still have them) in the past, done well out of them but I did alot better developing.  If the figures look good, go for it.

DIYPM

Profile photo of ANDREW BAXANDREW BAX
    Participant
    @andrew-bax

DIYPM
    Thanks for the infomation i will start to look into it.

Regards
    Andrew

Profile photo of ShellymapleShellymaple
    @shellymaple

That is good that you have the business in hand.

To get the best deal and the prevailing rates find an professional agent for this purpose

Profile photo of bernstarbernstar
    Participant
    @bernstar
    Bfree2live wrote:
    Hi Andrew

I built 4 units in Toowoomba (west of Brisbane) for $580K which included absolutely all fees, just to give you a bit of an idea.

Hello

Which builder did you use to get these done in Toowoomba? Im looking for a block there now.

Cheers.

Bernard

Profile photo of Yuppy Hippy 101Yuppy Hippy 101
    @yuppy-hippy-101

Ardenvale Homes, Hugh Begg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.