All Topics / Finance / Uni payments tax deductable?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Istvan051Istvan051
    @istvan051

Hello,

I am currently studying fulltime and i am wondering are my uni payments tax deductable? Just had that thought as last year i paid 5000 !!!

thanks guys

Stephen

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

If itis hecs, then no.

Profile photo of Istvan051Istvan051
    @istvan051

No, its not hex….

Hex is basically when you are borrowing money from the gov because you cant afford to pay it yourself. Then you have to
    pay it back with pre-tax income (I Beleive) once you start working.

In my case i have savings so i just pay the lot as i go.  That way i am not paying any interest to the gov.

My question is can i tax deduct these payments?

Anybody Please??

Stephen

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

All undergraduate education at university (for Aust Residents) is paid via the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS). It is not tax deductible.
    You are a full time student, not working in a field related to your studies – it is not deductible.
    The course that you are doing qualifies you to gain employment in a new area – it is not deductible.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Agree with Scott No Mates,
                                                  It's like say you are currently a clerk and go to university to be a geologist. You can not claim since you are currently a clerk so can claim say maybe an accountancy course, but not a geologist course since you are currently not paying tax as a geologist but a clerk.

Profile photo of rugratrugrat
    @rugrat

Further to this, by paying your fees in full upfront, you should already be benefiting from a 25% discount.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

If you are a full fee paying student, you MAY be able to deduct your fees, but only if it relates to your current income.

Profile photo of rugratrugrat
    @rugrat
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    All undergraduate education at university (for Aust Residents) is paid via the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS).

It doesn't have to be HECS. It my be HELP, FEE-help or full-fee paying.  It sounds as if this is full-fee paying.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.