All Topics / Help Needed! / first house to be as an investment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of coretexcoretex
    Participant
    @coretex

Hi Guys,

I haven't had a chance to speak to my account as yet i wanted this forums suggestions first.

i have purchased my first home which i will be renting out as an investment property to pay the loan off, currently this isn't structure to be offset or anything. Now when i recieve my rent as a landlord it extra income what kind of tax am i paying on this? what can i claim?

i have heard about negative & positive gearing is this applicable to me?

cheers

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Hey Coretex – congrats on the property. I am a novice at this too, but my first suggestion is you need to get a quantitive surveyor to do a report on your property for depreciation. You can claim the cost of the report as a deductible on your tax return.

I maintain a basic excel spreadsheet for all my incomings (rent) and outgoings (interest on mortgage, maintenaince, insurance, bank fees etc). If you like I can email it to you my email address is [email protected] Did you make your loan interest only?

Cheers Maree

Profile photo of coretexcoretex
    Participant
    @coretex

Hi Maree

my loan is with westpac flexi first principle & interest i do eventually one day move into my house to live and have 1 or 2 IP interest only loans.

Cheers

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Switch the loan from principal & interest to interest only and utilise and 100% offset account as soon as you can.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of coretexcoretex
    Participant
    @coretex

is it worth switching if i most probaly be moving in as my PPOR within 2yrs?
    I definatley want my next property to be a full offset interest only

thanks Richard

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Definately worth changing – Yes

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.