All Topics / Help Needed! / To sell or not to sell

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of CornelBassonCornelBasson
    Participant
    @cornelbasson

Hey Guys,

Have not been on here in a couple years and it's time to make a return with a long post :)

I have one investment unit and about to turn our house into a rental as well while we go rent somewhere else. I do have a question on how long is to long to hold onto a property? My unit is pretty much neutrally geared at the moment with the low interest rates. The house will be negatively geared by about $200 a week, we are locked into a high rate for the house and can't change by the looks of things unless we cop a huge penalty but the broker is working with the banks to try and make a deal. If we can get out problem solved and we will go from 7.8% to 5.2% no dramas but I don't think it will be that easy.

I have had the unit for a good 5-6 years and the rent has increased every year but the place is not getting any younger. I have recently spend some money and redone the bathroom and kitchen to modernise things. Bathroom was falling apart and leaking etc etc so most of those things I can claim back but my tax return from the unit is getting smaller and smaller every year.

We owe a fair bit on the house and also on the unit still and we are going to be moving to one income in about 3 months and by looking at the budged we will just scrape through but it will be hard and we will have to make some big changes in our spending. When times get really tough do you sell the unit or the 2 year old house or do you make another plan to keep them both?

Thanks

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Sounds like things are going to be tight for you financially, without anything unexpected coming in – which could be the case with an older unit.
    Based on your summary – I think selling would be the go, unless you can explore other options with the Investment Property such as a rent to buy? to make it work better for you?

Profile photo of CornelBassonCornelBasson
    Participant
    @cornelbasson

After doing more sums last night till midnight I think I will hold on for the time being and see what happens. Thanks for reading

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.