All Topics / General Property / Advice for First Home Buyer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of kn_19_htkn_19_ht
    @kn_19_ht

Hi everyone,

I am a first home buyer in Western Australia, so currently we are eligible for the 14k First Home owners grant if we buy established, or 21k if we build new. Stamp Duty is also waived for properties up to $750,000.

Iam looking to purchase a property up to the $400,000 mark, and am torn between two decesions..and need advice..

1.) Buy a new 3 x 2 unit on strata title, around 12 – 15kmout of the city,  in areas like Cannington, Canningvale etc with everything and move straight in..

2.) Purchase an older property on a larger green title block that is around 8km of the City, that has subdivision approved/granted and move in as normal..with a view to demolishing the house and subdividing down the track into two and building newer units on the block.

I have got advice from friends, family etc. but would really appreciate anyones advice, especially if they have been in a similar position as to myself..

Regards,

Chris

Profile photo of merimbulamerimbula
    @merimbula

Before you go ahead and buy the older block,check with the council in the area about subdivision costs,also when the older house is demolished all the old existing underground pipes such as plumbing,stormwater drains, gas if any, and sewer pipes are all ripped up,also take into account the cost of the demolition, the cost of just prepairing the land for construction can be double,that of a similar land that is already subdivided and ready to build on, such as new land realease areas.
    The cost of subdividing  and established land here in Victoria can be as high as $6000 as a town planner is neede to do the plans and applications, If you are just looking for a house to live in, there might be better houses and deals in the outer suburbs.
    But if you are looking to invest,do your home work and research and also ask other investers who have experience in this area,

Regards
    merimbula

Profile photo of kn_19_htkn_19_ht
    @kn_19_ht

Thankyou for ur advice merimbula..I will check that information and do more homework..in the area iam looking in..

It sounds like a daunting yet interesting task for me..to really get the most of it..and be happy with the decesion i make.

I'll let u know how i go..

Chris

merimbula wrote:
    Before you go ahead and buy the older block,check with the council in the area about subdivision costs,also when the older house is demolished all the old existing underground pipes such as plumbing,stormwater drains, gas if any, and sewer pipes are all ripped up,also take into account the cost of the demolition, the cost of just prepairing the land for construction can be double,that of a similar land that is already subdivided and ready to build on, such as new land realease areas.
    The cost of subdividing  and established land here in Victoria can be as high as $6000 as a town planner is neede to do the plans and applications, If you are just looking for a house to live in, there might be better houses and deals in the outer suburbs.
    But if you are looking to invest,do your home work and research and also ask other investers who have experience in this area,

Regards
    merimbula

@kn_19_ht

hi everyone..

still in the process..of looking at where to purchase my first home..

now im looking @ the newer developments out of the city..but along the freeway..as they are all new..nicely planned..have good ammenties like train..and freeway access..

any thoughts on these new developments like aubin grove..success..beelair parklands..etc?

i am keen to know whether i could rent the house out..in about 2 years or so..

please let me know your thoughts.

Chris

quote=kn_19_ht]Thankyou for ur advice merimbula..I will check that information and do more homework..in the area iam looking in..

It sounds like a daunting yet interesting task for me..to really get the most of it..and be happy with the decesion i make.

I'll let u know how i go..

Chris

merimbula wrote:

Regards
    merimbula

[/quote]

Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Have you bought yet?

I am in Perth and I too was faced with the exact same situation you have right now. Do I buy land close to the city and subdivide down the track or do I buy new but far away? I had found a great block in Bayswater that was a triplex potential land with a free house on it. But dispite a thorough due diligence and due to the fact I would HAVE to live in it (cos of using the first home buyers grant) I gave this one a miss. It would offer no holding money as no one in their right mind would pay rent to live there after I had done the minimum home buyer live-in-it time.

Another thing worth mentioning was that a friend of a friend had also bought in Bayswater and was currently undergoing subdivision, but he was having TREMENDOUS problems to the point where he is now living with my Best friends currently whilst he is getting it all sorted out. I dare say there was a lack of due diligence and research that contributed to this occurring but who knows – I have never had a conversation with him to find out exactly.

I did have the option of purchasing in some of the newer estates throughout Perth (I work for a large land developer) but in the end chose a 2 bed, 1 bath newly renovated villa closer to my current home, in a suburb that has shown good performance, close to my family, 5 mins to city and close to work. It has been an investment property for the agent who is selling it to me, and it is in a good location so I feel I have taken a conservative and comfortable decision and feel happier to take a more aggressive approach in my next property purchase (perhaps something like the triplex block I found in Bayswater) that I wont necessarily have to live in.

At the moment I personally have my eye on a couple properties that my boss is keen to handover possession of before June 30. In another post I have detailed that these are close to the beach, close to transport, in a new estate, qualify to use the $21k grant and include front landscaping and fence rebate. Per my calculations these are cashflow positive/neutral and I would have loved to have purchased this instead as it is green titled, alot bigger plus new and easier to maintain. But I have already signed on my new home and am due to settle next week. Also, personally, I would have had a problem with travelling further to work.

Lastly, One thing that was brought to my attention by my boss was that if I wanted to buy and build thus using the 21k grant, I needed to sign up by the end of May because plans needed to be approved before the grant expires. You may want to keep that in mind, and if you have left it too late this may sway your decision to getting something closer to the City, using the 14k grant.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I am just trying to share my thoughts and ideas of how I came to my decision. I am keen to hear what you decide! Good luck!

@kn_19_ht

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!
    That is the key..i did however go looking for blocks within 10km of the city..but some were quite dodgy..in dodgy areas..

From there i focussed my attention on those suburbs 22kms+ out of the city..like the new developments in jarrahdale..like new haven..etc etc..all very nice..well planned..but..just so far out from everywhere else..

i then checked the suburbs along the freeway..like success etc..and didnt feel right..it was just rows and rows of houses..and parks..thats it…a nice place..if you are starting a family..

so now..im back to step one..which is look somewhere within 10km of the city..

thanks so much for ur valuable insight..will keep you updated!!

Profile photo of howardcmhowardcm
    @howardcm

I have just brought my first home. Moved in about 6 weeks ago.

I had trouble at first as well with where I wanted to buy and found myself checking 50 suburbs every day. I started around Vic Park and Rivervale, looking for a Villa. I had always dreamt of living near the beach so then moved further South towards Secret Harbour looking at 3×2 houses. I had planned on having a friend or 2 moving in with me so had to consider if they would move so far South and decided against it.

As this property will become an investment down the track, I started looking at where I would want to live if I went to Uni. I ended up finding a really nice 2 bed townhouse in Mosman Park for $340k, 500m to the beach, 2 mins to the train and a short distance to UWA. The place has plenty of potential as it needs a bit of improvement but perfectally liveable as it is.

You sound young so think about if you really need that bigger house or if you would prefer to live near friends/family, the city and in a better location as I went for. Very happy with my decision

@kn_19_ht

Thanks for replying howardcm..

Congratulations on the purchase of your first home! I bet you must be excited!

It sounds like we are almost on the same page..as I was thinking about the same thing…I was just telling a colleague today that I might focus on areas close to uni..as im sure there will always be high demand for rental there..as opposed to other areas..

Your Mosman Park place sounds nice..i'll keep searching on realestate.com.au and reiwa.com..

Living near friends/family..close to the city..and other ammenities is what im looking for. Friends used to tell me that I am wanting too much in my first home..but there are the "essential" things or wants that im looking for..Who doesnt want their place to appreciate right?

If theres any nice ones you see around, i'd be very keen to hear about them…

Keep in touch..and thanks again for your comments..

Regards,

C

howardcm wrote:
    I have just brought my first home. Moved in about 6 weeks ago.

I had trouble at first as well with where I wanted to buy and found myself checking 50 suburbs every day. I started around Vic Park and Rivervale, looking for a Villa. I had always dreamt of living near the beach so then moved further South towards Secret Harbour looking at 3×2 houses. I had planned on having a friend or 2 moving in with me so had to consider if they would move so far South and decided against it.

As this property will become an investment down the track, I started looking at where I would want to live if I went to Uni. I ended up finding a really nice 2 bed townhouse in Mosman Park for $340k, 500m to the beach, 2 mins to the train and a short distance to UWA. The place has plenty of potential as it needs a bit of improvement but perfectally liveable as it is.

You sound young so think about if you really need that bigger house or if you would prefer to live near friends/family, the city and in a better location as I went for. Very happy with my decision

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

In some ways, the question explored here comes down to buying for now, or buying for later. Although there may not be a need or desire to become a "developer" right now, the land itself holds this promise. Urban sprawl will continue, but for the foreseeable future the development potential of new estates is pre-considered, whereas older areas closer to town are being renewed and the density of these areas reconsidered.

In thinking about what to buy and where there are many considerations, but if profitability is important within those considerations then the ability for the land you are purchasing to yield further dwellings should be paramount. If you think you may wish to develop your land later, either for investment or immediate profit, the potential of the land to support this intended use is important.

With family types changing I believe there will also be a change in ownership models whereby a property may be owned "across generations" allowing for parents to shift (landed) wealth to their children without giving up their home. For example, a parent might choose to gift part of their land to their children to allow them to stay in an area they might not otherwise be able to afford.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.