All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Purchase of Vacant Land. Expenses deductable?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of mantismmmantismm
    @mantismm

Hi everyone,

I purchased an vacant unimproved lot adjacent to my primary residence this year. I may sell it one day for profit, on which I would certainly pay CGT. My question is: can I deduct the legal and title fees I incurred in buying the property, since it is an investment?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

mantismm,
                        Not until you sell it or until you build on it and rent it out.

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec
    mantismm wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I purchased an vacant unimproved lot adjacent to my primary residence this year. I may sell it one day for profit, on which I would certainly pay CGT. My question is: can I deduct the legal and title fees I incurred in buying the property, since it is an investment?

Thanks,
    Kevin

No – the costs will be included in the cost base of the land for CGT purposes.  If you build on it and rent out the property, the costs remain non-deductible.  You effectively get a "deduction" when the land is eventually sold.

However, depending on the size of the block, you may be able to incorporate the land into your main residence, which would mean its future sale will be tax-free (still no tax deduction for the legals and title search though).  Land up to 2 hectares (including your house) can be treated as your tax-free main residence.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.