All Topics / Help Needed! / painting without undercoat

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of calvincicalvinci
    Participant
    @calvinci

hi, because my painter didn't turn up, I end up painting my new render brick wall myself with dulux aquaenamal high gloss paint. Then only I realised I need to have undercoat 1st, what's sort of problem I will have without undercoat, can I paint it again with 4 in 1 paint now? Bunning has this undercoat, seal and primer 4 in 1 paint where you can paint straight away without undercoat..

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Being new cement render it should have been sealed with an undercoat first. (Read the can before painting). It may not peel next week however there is a greater likelihood that it will not last the distance. Did you do any prep work at all (like getting a broom to remove all of the loose sand from the wall?).

Why would you be using an enamel paint over cement render (except possibly in a bathroom)?

Profile photo of calvincicalvinci
    Participant
    @calvinci

hi, I am new to painting.. I just bought whatever I can get from bunning and paint it straight away, didn't know about undercoat until it's done. The render wall looks like uneven, some area is rougher and some is smooth, and it's not perfectly flat, is that renderer's fault or my fault of not using undercoat?

Scott No Mates wrote:
    Being new cement render it should have been sealed with an undercoat first. (Read the can before painting). It may not peel next week however there is a greater likelihood that it will not last the distance. Did you do any prep work at all (like getting a broom to remove all of the loose sand from the wall?).

Why would you be using an enamel paint over cement render (except possibly in a bathroom)?

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

This is more symptomatic of having used gloss paint unfortunately – it highlights any defects in the substrate. Gloss is not suitable for cement render – it is specifically for flat surfaces such as timber (wall boards, architraves, skirtings, furniture or metal) however it can be used successfuly over set plaster. The use of a semi-gloss (for bathrooms/laundries) is generally OK.

I would consider sanding the wall back entirely, sealing and then using the appropriate finish coats (but not gloss). Ask the sales staff at Bunnings how you can fix the problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.