All Topics / Value Adding / Where should you start first in a bathroom reno?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of lizzie0185lizzie0185
    @lizzie0185

Hi everybody

My partner and i have just bought a property which needs a little bit of work done. I havnt done this before and we would like to do as much as we can.
    First off all before we start ripping the vanity, shower, bath, bathroom walls and tiles out do we get a sparky and plumber in to cap off taps, takeout toilet and powerpoints etc first. It would be great if any one could write a small list on the order things should go in. 
    Also were going to put a new kitchen in using flat pax from bunnings. I've noticed that there oven cabinets dont have a hole in the back of them…would we need to cut one in? Should you get the sparky in before the cuboards go in to put the cables for the oven and cooktop as well as the powerpoint for the retractable rangehood. Same for the cuboard that has the rangehood in it.

Thanks guys!!!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hmmm….

I would demoish what I could and strip things back and then get the trades in to fit off.

Yes, with the kitchen, get the sparky in to junction box the mains to the stove, as it will be easier to do this with the old kitchen gone then trying to do it with a half-installed kitchen.

Hope all goes well,

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of daviddeannodaviddeanno
    @daviddeanno

Hi,
    I have recently completed a full bathroom renovation. Did everything myself  i.e. demolition, electrical, plumbing, tiling etc…
    Simply turned off water supply @ front of property, turned off power @ mains.
    1. Ripped out all existing materials.
    2. Sorted new plumbing and electrical (depends how handy you are and how good your advice is).
    3. Replaced walls, rebuilt bath support (very easy with few Hebel blocks) and install new bath.
    4. Replaced floor and wall tiles.
    5. New toilet, vanity, window and door frames and cornices.
    6. Replace all bits and pieces i.e. taps, shower head, towel racks etc.

This is a rough run down, but should give you a basic idea. Don't be scared to give it a go, not as hard as it seems.
    I have a beautiful modern bathroom for around $3000 all up!!!

Google everything-great source of information. Cheers

Profile photo of RenovataRenovata
    @renovata

I would not recomend doing plumbing and electrical works yourself. They are the only 'licenced' trades and for good reason. 240 volts can kill you and worse yet you can't see it ! A leaking pipe behind a wall can take a long time to notice and by then it will be very costly. 

Everything else you can do yourself with a bit of knowledge. If you know any builders or carpenters maybe they could give you a quick run down.  

Hope it goes well for you.

Profile photo of lizzie0185lizzie0185
    @lizzie0185

this seems to be the only room that is troubling me at the moment. I think we might leave it till last.  I will definately get some tradys in to do the plumbing and electrical work. Hopefully we can do as much as possible.
    Thanks for ur advice

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Hey DavidDeanno – do you have any before and after pics you can share?  We are thinking of doing a bathroom reno and the budget is about $3000 too.  Not that I would want to copy but it would be inspirational to see the difference in your place.

Lizzie  I think most of the stuff you could do yourself with a bit of forethought with the exception of needing a sparkie.  Getting a sparkie in would be essential to prevent any dangerous situations and it would also allow you to sleep at night.

Profile photo of lizzie0185lizzie0185
    @lizzie0185

Yes definately, my father is a plumber so thats a plus. Havnt asked for his advice yet, just gonna wait until the property settles and we will start makin plans then. Just tryin to get ahead before we move in.
    Good luck with ur reno boshy!!

Profile photo of daviddeannodaviddeanno
    @daviddeanno

Boshy888,
    I will get some pics up for you soon. Will only be after picks as the befores were done on 35mm and who knows what box they're packed in…

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Terrific.  Hehehe. Know what you mean.

Profile photo of kesfinekesfine
    @kesfine

Hi
    i have just taken the tiles up from my bathroom floor which is on a concrete slab leaving a very uneaven surface.Could you tell me how far down i should go so as to re tile.Also should i use a levelling cement or regular sand cement mix to level the floor
    as i intend to use tile glue to lay the tiles rather than set the tiles into the cement.

Russell

Profile photo of RenovataRenovata
    @renovata
    kesfine wrote:
    Hi
    i have just taken the tiles up from my bathroom floor which is on a concrete slab leaving a very uneaven surface.Could you tell me how far down i should go so as to re tile.Also should i use a levelling cement or regular sand cement mix to level the floor
    as i intend to use tile glue to lay the tiles rather than set the tiles into the cement.

Russell

Hey Russ,

Don't use regular sand and cement as it will break up over time and you will be re-doing your floor within a year. Self leveling is definately the way to go. don't forget the floor should be waterproofed aswell. 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.