All Topics / General Property / Acrylic or Enamel paint for Bathroom?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I've bought enough Acrylic paint to paint the whole place I just wanted to check if Acrylic is OK for bathroom areas?

Can anyone advise…

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

enamel would be better. it is waterproof, easily cleaned, mould resistant and harder wearing.

acrylic would soon be covered in mould, marks & stains in a bathroom. (especially if a cheap brand)

but if you are not keeping the place, acrylic will be fine.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

What in the world would possess you to use an enamel paint inside a building? Use acrylics. In a wet area like a bathroom, use semi-gloss (gloss if you must) with an anti-mould additive.

Oil-based Enamels are very old school and should only be used externally where you require hard wear properties (subject to full sun/weather etc), even the newer acrylic enamels should generally be used externally (or for features like architraves/skirtings/handrails/furniture which have high wear or subject to abuse).

SNM

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Well this Reno is just a low to average standard finish and is going to be a rental in the low low end of the market, so if I take the paint to the paint shop can they add an anti-mould?

Is Gloss something that can be added as well? It does not really bother me if it does not look glossy.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Gloss is in the makeup of the paint you select the level ie low sheen, flat, semigloss or gloss. Low sheen hides defects, gloss highlights them. Flat paint is generally very difficult to remove marks from if damaged (used for ceilings).

Antimould can be added just prior to mixing (on the job) – comes in a little jar.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Right! Thanks crashy and Scott. It's interesting info.

Profile photo of GopinathVijayGopinathVijay
    @gopinathvijay

My apartment renovations are grinding to a halt…the bathroom had no extraction fan and previous owners put acrylic paint over ceiling and walls. The substrate was enamel paint atop plaster walls/old plasterboard (1940s) ceiling. Its now flaking and when scraping, chipping through to the palster board in some places. Am very keen to egt the acrylic off ASAP. Its a real job every few days more flakes appear. Can I use a heat gun or will that be very bad for the plaster? Alternatively should I strip it back with some sort of chemical? Sanding is taking far too long, as the enamel wasn't that smooth before they painted over it. Do I need to just scrape as much off as possible then resurface it with jointing compund then paint over the top again?
    Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated. Cal.

Profile photo of fatboy1730fatboy1730
    @fatboy1730

Can comment on the paint. We use a water based paint called Aquanamel. In our bathrooms. It comes in gloss and semi gloss dries quickly.
    Bunnings would have it I imagine.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

aquanamel is crap…..soft as. and it says its high gloss but its more like semi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.