All Topics / Value Adding / Floorboards different colours – how to fix?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of recrec
    @rec

i was looking at a house for sale – built in 1880 (i haven't bought it yet)
    one thing that looked very ugly was that in each room a couple of the floorboards had been replaced – the new and old floorboards were VERY different colours – the floors looked like they had recently been varnished.

the different coloured floorboards made it look very cheap and tacky – like the homeowner had done it themselves

i was wondering how do you fix this problem?

Some thoughts I had were:

– rip out the new boards and replace them with second hand (old) boards to match the original ones?

– sand the whole floor back & stain it (would the stain take differently in the different coloured boards)?

OR – do you have to replace the whole floor????

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of luigiluigi
    @luigi

Hey mate,

I'm a Carpenter and my opinion is to rip up the replacement boards and try to find something similar from the wreckers, than re polish the whole floor. but at the end of the day it is very unlikely to match perfectly this will just hopefully blend in a bit better.

also stain a small off cut of the boards u get before u put them down to make sure u got a close match or u will be back where you started.

hope i helped

Luigi

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Great tip, thanks Luigi.

Have you considered carpet? Or perhaps putting a floating foor on top of the old boards?

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of chris hugheschris hughes
    Participant
    @chris-hughes

Hi Rec,

I am a Carpenter as well and I have also had allot of experience sanding and polishing and unfortunately the chances of getting a match are slim to none-trying to stain to match is difficult with old boards…I would reccomend what Steve says cover up either with carpet. or floating floors. Carpet in the bedrooms and maybe boards in the hall and living room is also quite popular.  I know a really cheap supplier of floating floors in Sydney I would be happy to pass the number on.

Let me know and good luck!
    Chris

Profile photo of chris hugheschris hughes
    Participant
    @chris-hughes

Hey Rec,
    Just had another thought.  You might want to see if it is possible to remove some boards from another area in the house that would be easily covered up.  Maybe if you  consider carpeting the bedrooms you can remove the good boards and replace them with any flooring (as it will be covered) and then reuse them in the areas of the house where they need replacing.
    This is probably your cheapest option.
    Chris

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.