All Topics / Help Needed! / Defence Housing

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of Defence Housing AustraliaDefence Housing Australia
    @defence-housing-australia
    pitto wrote:

2.  Rent – It is valued on 31/12 of every year by a supposedly independent valuer.   Our initial rent was $375 and in 2008 it was increased to $410.   This was way below par and we invoked the appeal process under the contract.   Our valuer came back at $480 per week and we eventually agreed to $465 a week.   The process was relatively easy but cost me $375 for the independent valuer despite the fact that we were right.   Just got our new rent valuation which they reckon has gone up a whole $5 per week to $470 a week (many people in Brisbane will be astounded to know that rents have only increased by 1.05% over the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) .  No doubt we will be appealing again as my property type is achieving rents in excess of $500 per week.   It is my opinion that DHA try to keep rents down and you need to keep a close eye on them and I suppose this is natural when they have 11,000+ properties.  We keep all evidence of rents advertised during the year (once again we are assisted by the fact that there are only 3 types of property within the complex which makes direct comparison easy) from http://www.realestate.com and http://www.domain.com.au.

You need to watch the rent reviews closely and make sure that you have a good knowledge of the local rental market as you cannot trust DHA's so called independent valuer.  This is the only downside though so all in all a good investment brought about be being a bit lucky with the purchase price.  
    Cheers

Pitto

Dear Pitto,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your qualified comments. In reference to rent review I'd like to share with the forum our commitment with an owner:

The rental income of DHA properties is reviewed annually, according to market valuation, by a licensed 'independent' valuer appointed and paid for by DHA on behalf of the owner and tenant. Their analysis takes into account the property’s features and amenities, the weekly rental of comparable properties, and research of local market conditions.

DHA manages in excess of 11,000 properties on behalf of investors. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of rental valuations, due to the volume of transactions, it is likely that a small percentage of errors may occur (rental over valued and/or undervalued). Accordingly:

1.    Investors have the right to enter a formal review process whereby they appoint their own licensed valuer to determine the weekly rental and a compromise is reached (the terms and conditions of this process are stipulated in the property’s lease). Depending on the financial situation of the investor(s), this expense may be claimed as a tax deduction (professional taxation advice should be sought to confirm this);

2.    Some editions of the lease include a rental floor for the life of the lease, whereby rent is reviewed annually but never reduced below the starting rent in the event the market drops; and

3.    Other editions of the lease allow for the starting rental to be upheld until the second review date where the valuation is less than the starting rent at the first review.

As demonstrated in your case, DHA’s lease aims to ensure investors are suitably remunerated at market value (or higher in some instances). Further, provided the terms of a review process are met and evidence suggests an error has occurred, DHA strives to work with all parties to reach a mutually beneficial outcome.

We find that the majority of owners are happy with their rents. From the recent review exercise less than 1% of owners have sought review at this time. This is a favorable outcome as it means 99% are likely satisfied.

DHA has no interest or mandate to contain or restrict rent growth within the portfolio we manage. The rent valuation establishes the rent the tenant pays and is a pass through to the owner. DHA operates from the money we receive from fees on this transaction. Indeed if rents are higher DHA recieves more property management fees. DHA has an equal tension from the tenant and the owner in the establishment of rents. We want both parties to be happy.

The valuers we use are independent of DHA, selected by public tender, licenced, and do not recieve any guideance, reward or otherwise to do anything but provide an accurate rent assesment.

I am glad the review process worked for you. Thanks for being our customer!

Regards,

Defence Housing Australia

Profile photo of pittopitto
    @pitto

In answer to Defence Housing's justification of their valuation process I understand that on a superficial basis the valuation process is independent, however, anyone that believes that a valuer with a contract to value such a large number of homes each year is not subconsciously biased towards their client (in the hope of retaining the large & lucrative contract) is living in la la land.   I further find it extremely difficult to believe that the Defence Dept. do not place some pressure on DHA to minimise the rental cost paid by them as opposed to the subsidised amount paid by the tenant.    

Yes a review process is offered but unless you keep an close eye on rental values how would you know whether to appeal or not.    It also costs money $375 last year and $440 this year to hire your own valuer.  Further it is not easy with most properties to gain direct comparison as I am able to.   Here is what the valuer from DHA used this year to value our property:

3 bed unit Jindalee – inferior type                                     $410

4 bed home Sumner – comparable  type                        $445

3 bed unit 17 Mile Rocks – superior   type                       $570

Not 1 property from within the same complex or even suburb.  This is despite there having been upwards of 8 units within the same complex rented during the year.  Direct comparison units were available, I was able to find them but a licensed valuer obviously wasn't or didn't care enough to look.   For the record all of these from the same complex as mine and directly comparable:

3 bed units – inferior type                                              $450, 450, 470, 460   (4 advertised)

3/4 bed townhomes – exactly same type                   $520, $560                    (2 adevrtised)

4 bed detached homes – superior type                      $595, $595                   (2 advertised)

DHA then offered me $470 a week  a rise of $5 for the new year.  I could list last years as well but the low rent jist is the same.  At least the valuer last year got properties from within the complex, they just valued our unit based on prices lower than the inferior type units were being rented at.  

I REPEAT MY WARNING TO ALL PROPECTIVE DHA PURCHASER'S.   2 YEARS IN A ROW OUR VALUATION HAS BEEN AT LEAST $50 PER WEEK SHORT OF THE GOING RATE, I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A COINCIDENCE.   THESE PROPERTIES CAN BE A GREAT INVESTMENT BUT YOU NEED TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE RENTAL VALUATIONS.

Be careful and do your homework.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Pitto, there is usually a dispute resolution mechanism in the agreement eg a third independent valuer appointed to adjudicate or the two valuers come to some agreement as to which are the most appropriate/comparable premises, does such a clause exist in your management agreement?

Are the rents nominated by yourself the advertised rents or the deals which have been communicated to your valuer by their network?

Does the reported rent include any incentives to the lessee? eg rent free period

Have you taken into consideration the basis for valuation ie how the rent is to be determined (vacant possession, sitting tenant, comparable market rents etc)?

@pitto

Hi,

In answer to your questions

IP Freely wrote:
    Pitto, there is usually a dispute resolution mechanism in the agreement eg a third independent valuer appointed to adjudicate or the two valuers come to some agreement as to which are the most appropriate/comparable premises, does such a clause exist in your management agreement?

The 2 valuers attempt to reach agreement as per the process.  If no agreement can be reached a secondary process exists where a valuer is appointed by the State regulatory body and a hearing held.  Costs of this are shared between DHA and the owner.

Are the rents nominated by yourself the advertised rents or the deals which have been communicated to your valuer by their network? 

Most of these are the rents achieved for these properties, 2 are advertised subject to confirmation.

Does the reported rent include any incentives to the lessee? eg rent free period

No

Have you taken into consideration the basis for valuation ie how the rent is to be determined (vacant possession, sitting tenant, comparable market rents etc)?

DHA contracts specify market value rental for similiar properties as at 31/12 as the basis of valuation

Profile photo of ErikHErikH
    @erikh

I looked into DHA investments in the past because the security appealed but once I did more reserach I moved away from it because (1) you do pay a substantial premium for the security and (2) rental yields appeared low compared to the market. Also, the properties are often not in places I would select for good capital growth or high yield.

If you do your due diligence and select you investment property well should be not need to pay a premium for a secure lease, because a well selected IP will rent out well and at good rates. And if you also select a good property manager then you should not have too much problems in managing the IP and the benefit that DHA pay the maintenance and do some refurbishment at the end of the lease is also limited.

I think if you're a serious investor you can do (much) better on your own, but if you want minimal involvement and high security and are willing to compromise your ROI for that comfort then it can be a good solution.

Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone

I am looking for an investment property,something that makes me money, if you do your due dilligence i am sure you will find this type of investment is very poor and you will have to find money from your own pocket for many many years fter you sign up even allowing for rental income..

However they must have a large marketing budget and a good sales team because these types of properties do sell over time, i think a lot pf people who buy them dont do enough homework themselves and focus on things like new carpet, new paint job at the end of a lease etc which is possibly oversold to newcomers.

I feel at the end of a 10 or 15 year lease the bathroom and kitchen are possibly outdated as well and should be renewed,but of course this wouldnt happen.

@pitto

Just an update, our valuer came back with a rent of $525 per week,  that is $55 a week more than the DHA valuer.  

It will be interesting to hear from DHA, frankly I don't know how they don't get embrassed when they get caught out like this.   They say that 99% of people are happy with their valuation, make that either happy, ignornant of the correct price or not concerned enough to do anything about it.

Repeat word of caution, watch your rental valuations if you have a DHA property.

Cheers

Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone
    pitto wrote:
    Just an update, our valuer came back with a rent of $525 per week,  that is $55 a week more than the DHA valuer.  

It will be interesting to hear from DHA, frankly I don't know how they don't get embrassed when they get caught out like this.   They say that 99% of people are happy with their valuation, make that either happy, ignornant of the correct price or not concerned enough to do anything about it.

Repeat word of caution, watch your rental valuations if you have a DHA property.

Cheers

Pitto, did they back date the rent at all.
    I wonder if they contacted all the DFA investors close to your property and will increase their rents as well.

Unless their yields improve in a big way DFA will never never be part of my future investment stratagy
    Thanks for the update

@pitto

Hi trustieone,

Yes they backdate rent to the start of the calender year when the rentals are varied.  No loss to you except the independant valuation fee and the time you take in the process.

Interesting question about nearby properties, I know the place next door is a DHA rental and am currently obtaining evidence from the owner regarding his rent.  If they don't increase other rentals in line with the new information it would add substantial weight to my argument that DHA are deliberately trying to minimise rents and not acting in good faith towards their owners.  

I have just written to the Managing Director of DHA re this and intend to follow-up with the Commonwealth Ombudsman if I don't get any satisfaction as I really don't want to have to go through this every year.
    Cheers

@ip-freely

Pitto, it is not up to DHA to increase the rents on all properties if you have successfully argued an increase/difference in valuation on your property. This is not in the best interest of the tenant (DHA has sold you the property and is leasing it back from you with an agreed mechanism for rent reviews).

If the adjoining property owner is unaware of the rent review mechanism or is satisfied with the review that they have recieved, then they will not need to get an independent valuation done. The timing of the rent review may differ from yours, the terms of their lease may also differ or they may not be in a position to argue for a small net increase in rent (after the cost of valuers).

@pitto
    IP Freely wrote:
    Pitto, it is not up to DHA to increase the rents on all properties if you have successfully argued an increase/difference in valuation on your property. This is not in the best interest of the tenant (DHA has sold you the property and is leasing it back from you with an agreed mechanism for rent reviews).

If the adjoining property owner is unaware of the rent review mechanism or is satisfied with the review that they have recieved, then they will not need to get an independent valuation done. The timing of the rent review may differ from yours, the terms of their lease may also differ or they may not be in a position to argue for a small net increase in rent (after the cost of valuers).

Hi IP Freely,

Rent review time and premises are exactly the same, they have the same fixtures and fittings.  

Without getting into a lesson in contract law and specifically provisions relating to the treatment of all parties with "good faith", it is incumbent on all parties to this contract to treat each other with the utmost good faith.   This has been determined by numerous courts as to require more than what you think which is basically the law of "buyer beware".  The contract specially requires each other to act in this way and precedent would be best encapsulated as follows:

Another approach, referred to by Dr Peden and frequently cited, is that of Sir Anthony Mason in his Cambridge Lectures, 1993 (and see his article “Contract, Good Faith and Equitable Standards in Fair Dealing” (2000) 116 LQR 66).

Sir Anthony suggested that the concept of good faith includes the following elements:
    (1) An obligation on the parties to co-operate in achieving the contractual objects (loyalty to the promise itself).
    (2) Compliance with honest standards of conduct.
    (3) Compliance with standards of conduct that are reasonable having regard to the interests of the parties.
    That definition (perhaps more accurately, explanation) commended itself to me in Tomlin v Ford Credit Australia
    [2005] NSWSC 540 at 116.

Clearly having knowledge of the rental valuation for exactly the same type of property and then withholding this information from another owner would be held to be in breach of this duty.  That's not to mention that not doing so is in breach of DHA's customer service charter and morally debatable from a government agency .

So hope this helps you understand a little better DHA's obligations in this regard are somewhat higher than a normal rental contract, notwithstanding the fact that good faith is implied in every contract, specified or not.

Cheers

@ip-freely
    pitto wrote:

Clearly having knowledge of the rental valuation for exactly the same type of property and then withholding this information from another owner would be held to be in breach of this duty.  That's not to mention that not doing so is in breach of DHA's customer service charter and morally debatable from a government agency .

Cheers

Pitto, this is only a valid argument prior to other owners accepting the rent proposed. Once there has been acceptance, there is no further obligation on the parties to revisit the rent. With the rent review process 'time is of the essence', if an objection hasn't been made then the offer is accepted, if you have objected but your neighbour has not, then your process does not affec t your neighbours. There is no duty owed to the lessor where the lessor has accepted a review and other parties are objecting to the review, subject of course to when you have lodged your fully documented objection identifying other market rentals.

However, those rentals which other have identified and the lessee has accepted as comparable market evidence, may be considered in future rent reviews if those rents are still current and reflective of the market.

@pitto
    IP Freely wrote:
    pitto wrote:

Cheers

Pitto, this is only a valid argument prior to other owners accepting the rent proposed. Once there has been acceptance, there is no further obligation on the parties to revisit the rent. With the rent review process 'time is of the essence', if an objection hasn't been made then the offer is accepted, if you have objected but your neighbour has not, then your process does not affec t your neighbours. There is no duty owed to the lessor where the lessor has accepted a review and other parties are objecting to the review, subject of course to when you have lodged your fully documented objection identifying other market rentals.

However, those rentals which other have identified and the lessee has accepted as comparable market evidence, may be considered in future rent reviews if those rents are still current and reflective of the market.

Thanks for your info IP freely, but what law are you relying on to contend this?  Sounds to me like opinion rather than the law, however, I am happy to stand corrected if you can tell me what binding courts have decided that the duty to act in good faith is overidden by a timing issue or acceptance of a rent under a mistaken belief in a state of things.   If you are going to enter into a discussion of this nature it does little to legitimise your argument by not quoting the relevant case law to support your contention.

As I said, I'm happy to discuss the basis of your legal argument when you support it with precedent as I have done to support mine, otherwise unfortunately you simply have an opinion without basis in law.  

Cheers   

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Pitto, I'll dig out my copy of Peter Butt's Property Law & get back to you..

@ip-freely

Pitto, sorry to take so long in answering your last remark:

I will refer back to the principle provided by Griffith CJ in Spencer v Cmwlth (1907) 5 CLR 418 where he sets out the principle of market value.

Furthermore once MV is determined and accepted by the two parties, you cannot revisit it unless there has been some error leading to an inaccurate assessment. If the neighbours still have not settled but are relying on your rental assessment as part of their submission, you can not rely on their assessment when known to revise your own as it has been considered in the neighbour's case.

@pitto

Thanks for your comment ip freely, I totally agree with that, the problem in this case did revolve around errors in assessment.  

Just for info of others who may visit this topic DHA have agreed with my valuation and have refunded all my costs involved in obtaining a settlement on a voluntary basis.   The Managing Director personally called me to discuss the issue and certainly indicated that inaccurate valuations are a problem area for them.    I must say that I was impressed with his approach to customer service and the fact that a letter of complaint can get this sort of action bodes well for the customer service standards of DHA (gotta give credit where it's due).

I am led to believe that the neighbours have also had a good result despite not appealing their valuation in contract stipulated time limits based on the requirement of DHA to apply known errors to the benefit of all other similiar contracts under the principles of contractual good faith.  

Cheers

Profile photo of larrylarry
    Participant
    @larry2014

can anyone assist with advice on how to successfully market a 3 bedrooms unit in Chatswood market value $ 1 M plus with lease to DHA with 5 years remaining with option for further 3 years – currently $810.00 per week
    Local Real Estate Agents usually required open inspection with Auction as prefered method of sale – my opinion is that this preorpty had to be targeted on specific investor (local and oversea -expartie )
    DHA do not allow open inspection but inspection by Appointment
    and also with a list of restrictions on what can be advertise
    I am in a perdictament

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.