All Topics / Help Needed! / FHOG and stamp duty deferral

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of rohanaldridgerohanaldridge
    @rohanaldridge

Hi, Really need some clear advice on my current situation….

I Purchased an investment unit in NSW in 2006, and purchsed an investment property in NSW in 2007. I have never lived in either of these – they are purely IP's and I have not claimed the FHOG or any type of concessions.

I am about to exchange on my first property to live in (my first PPOR) in latham, ACT. I have lived on ADF service accomodation previously. Now my question is, am i entitled to the FHOG AND stamp duty deferral?????

I want to get the stamp duty deferral because then I can afford a 20% deposit and avoid mortgage insurance, and simply pay the stamp duty at a later date. From the people ive asked (mortgage broker, solicitor) I have not yet got a clear answer. I am confused because on the act revenue site (http://www.revenue.act.gov.au) It says this under the eligibility paragraph for the deferred duty scheme…..

To be eligible for the deferred duty scheme:

So, thats fine – I clearly meet criteria 2 and 3…So all i need to do is make sure im eligible for the FHOG right?

Here is the FHOG eligibility criteria…

A first homebuyer, who fulfils the eligibility criteria listed below.

• At least one of the applicants must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia. A New Zealand citizen who holds a special category visa under section 32 of the Migration Act 1958 (Cwlth) is considered to be a permanent resident and thus qualifies.
    • None of the applicants can have previously owned or currently hold an interest in a home anywhere in Australia.
    • Applicants must occupy the home, purchased or built, as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months, beginning within 1 year of settlement or completion of construction.
    • Applicants must be at least 18 years old.

So, criteria 1,3 and 4 – no problem. Now – criteria 2 uses the word "home". I havnt owned a "home", ive only owned IP's. Surely the definition is referring ONLY to a PPOR, not a "house" for other people.

So im pretty sure I am eligible for both of these, if my definitions are correct. Can anyone confirm this and put my mind at ease??

Thanks,
    Rohan

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Rohan,

It is different for all states – but in NSW you would still receive grant, but miss out on stamp duty concession.
    However, a quick look at the ACT site, does indeed say that if you qualify for the FHOG, you can apply for the s/d deferment concession.

and based on your provided info, you do qualify.

Read the top of page 2 on the act FHOG application form and you will see what Ii mean,

http://www.revenue.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/62981/FHOG_application_form.pdf

All good!

All the best,

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.