All Topics / Creative Investing / Small Development Group

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of sydneyboysydneyboy
    @sydneyboy

I am considering establishing a small group to develop 6-12 townhouses in a medium western suburb of Sydney.

To do this I will require about 4-6 investors. The property will be purchased in a company name which all investors will be shareholders which will hold the property in trust on behalf of the investors. On completion the property will be transferred into the name of the investors and then a transfer will be done of one unit to each investor at cost price, the remaining units will be sold to reduce the average cost per unit.

By taking this procedure there will be no duty payable on the transfer to the investor.

In effect each investor will get a unit at wholesale cost price and save the developers margin (10-15%). I will be charging a fee of about $3000 per unit for managing the development.

Investors will need to contribute about 30% of land value and 30% construction cost  up front which will be held by a solicitor and or accountant nominated by the investors to secure their investment.

Mortgage funding will be by a major bank, no fringe dwellers or sharks, at commecial rates.

Obviously it is not possible to calculate the exact cost and profit  but allowing for 4 investors in an 8 unit development the units should be transferred into your name at at about 20-25% below market value.

Interested please contact me

Sydneyboy

Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Hi there Sydneyboy,

I am looking to do a similar thing in Perth, so I am not looking at being your investor, but did have a few questions to ask you and some suggestions that may help you.

Do you already have a DA approved on the site you are planning to develop? Have you done a full feasibility study? The reason I ask is that you should be able to give the investors an idea of the amount they should expect to put into the development already. Providing them with more information (ie how many bed and bathroom, an idea of the quality etc) gives them more confidence as to what they are investing into.

If you are offering the investors the house/unit at 20-25% below market value then you may have difficulty getting finance from the bank for the developing. The bank wants to see that the town houses / units are going to sell for market value.  Additionally when you try to sell the other town houses/ units (not the investor ones), if a buyer wants to know what the others sold for then you are at risk of them wanting to purchase it at the same low price.

An alternative is that you offer a cash back to your investors. The house/unit is valued at current market, the investors pay market price but you include a cash back on settlement in the contract. With this sort of investment you would usually have the investors release their deposits to you so you can get started on the development. At least that is how I understand is the best way to do it I am no expert, but I hope this helps. 

Profile photo of AAZAAZ
    Participant
    @aaz

We’re not sure if you’ve done a development project like this before but from our experience most joint venture partners will want to see some type of formal written proposal with a market and financial feasibility study plus any previous projects and the profit margins that you managed to achieve.

We consider the Financial Feasibility Study to be one of our main methods of minimising the risk inherent in real estate development. It’s an invaluable tool for evaluating the financial viability of the proposed project – its creation, construction and operation – by analysing the development costs against the probable income. It provides an answer to the most critical question of all for a property developer – “Will my proposed development be profitable?”

A competently produced feasibility analysis will also be necessary to include in your ‘Application For Finance’ We include it with the Finance Application to show the profitability of our proposed development to the banks or other lenders. After all, their primary concern is that they don’t lose the money that they will lend and they need to be convinced that this is unlikely to happen.

We also find that the financial feasibility study is invaluable when putting together a ‘JV Application Proposal’ as other investors can instantly see whether our project will be successful and the level of risk involved. It is essential in real estate development to constantly look at ways to reduce risk.

Not every newbie developer (we’re not saying you’re a newbie as we don’t know your experience) realises that the cost of a development project can easily be underestimated (especially at the initial feasibility) or can escalate due to unforeseen problems or occurrences that may take place during the development process. So make sure you have an adequate contingency allowance.

Unfortunately, surprises can happen! As an essential element of the development feasibility, and certainly before proceeding with the project, we know that it’s important to identify a series of strategies that will allow us an acceptable exit from a project throughout the development process. It’s an important and vital element of our risk management process.

Good luck with your project.

Adrian and Amber
    http://www.RealEstateDevelopmentClub.com

Profile photo of sunseekersunseeker
    @sunseeker

Hi
    I have a similar development cooperative project on the go here on Queensland Sunshine Coast.  A DA in place and eight residential 2 and 3 bdrm apartments aimed at those wishing to downsize without loss of amenity and space.  Detailed figures are available and contributors join the trust by depositing $100,000.00 each which equates to 30% of the overall construction cost.  I have a bank prepared to finance the trust on this basis provided each individual guarantees to settle on completion.

This concept was developed to overcome a general reluctance in the market to commit to pre-sales and is very much a win win for everyone involved (well after I realised that I would have to sacrifice margin to get this financed that is).

I have been contacting potential participants over last week and have three apartments left to finalise arrangements and put everything in place to start in Feb 09.

Figures demonstrate a potential capital gain in excess of $100,000.00 dependant on the apartment chosen and state of the market at the time (Nov 09).  My opinion is that we will see price increases in that later half of 2009 driven largely be the pent up supply/demand situation here.

This is a very genuine and transparent offer that i would be pleased to send detail should anyone be ineterested enough to consider.

Incidentally I have a very experienced Project Manager, outstanding location and all the essentials for future success for this development.

Consider the situation whereby the initial contribution is made on a line of credit or loan with interest only and capitalised.  This results in very minimal outlay  over the entire construction period.  Ability to settle at the end on the balance is required though (some may desire units to be sold when a display is available).

Profile photo of bernstarbernstar
    Participant
    @bernstar
    sunseeker wrote:
    Hi
    I have a similar development cooperative project on the go here on Queensland Sunshine Coast.  A DA in place and eight residential 2 and 3 bdrm apartments aimed at those wishing to downsize without loss of amenity and space.  Detailed figures are available and contributors join the trust by depositing $100,000.00 each which equates to 30% of the overall construction cost.  I have a bank prepared to finance the trust on this basis provided each individual guarantees to settle on completion.

This concept was developed to overcome a general reluctance in the market to commit to pre-sales and is very much a win win for everyone involved (well after I realised that I would have to sacrifice margin to get this financed that is).

I have been contacting potential participants over last week and have three apartments left to finalise arrangements and put everything in place to start in Feb 09.

Figures demonstrate a potential capital gain in excess of $100,000.00 dependant on the apartment chosen and state of the market at the time (Nov 09).  My opinion is that we will see price increases in that later half of 2009 driven largely be the pent up supply/demand situation here.

This is a very genuine and transparent offer that i would be pleased to send detail should anyone be ineterested enough to consider.

Incidentally I have a very experienced Project Manager, outstanding location and all the essentials for future success for this development.

Consider the situation whereby the initial contribution is made on a line of credit or loan with interest only and capitalised.  This results in very minimal outlay  over the entire construction period.  Ability to settle at the end on the balance is required though (some may desire units to be sold when a display is available).

I am from Sydney and finishing off a 3 bed dual occupancy in Toowoomba at the moment and will have a large equity base when finished and am seeking to begin another project at the end of the year. Wouldnt mind getting a little more info, figures etc about being a part of such a cooperative.

Profile photo of opportunityopportunity
    @opportunity

Hi Bernstar,

We have been looking at a dual occupancy development (two husband and wife teams).  We have doen the ground work and all the sums.  But with the uncertainity in the market and everyone warning hat prices will fall further, we are sceptic about our decission.  When we calculated our margins they are quite tight it dos not have room for a price reduction.  If there were to be a price reduction we may not lose out but we may not make any money.  If you could part with some advise I would appreciate very much.

Regards,

Opportunity

Profile photo of MubzMubz
    @mubz

Hi SydneyBoy,

I am interested in discussing this with you further.
    Have you done a feasibility study on the land and are there any DA's in place.
    What suburb of Sydney are you looking at?

Please contact me at [email protected] to discuss the same.

Regards,

Mubz

Profile photo of MortgagePlusMortgagePlus
    @mortgageplus

Sounds like you need to do some more research.

If you transfer the properties from the company (or trust) to each individual investor, you WILL pay stamp duty.

If you sell down some of the stock at wholesale, you will KILL the future plans to sell the units at market value, as the valuation will rely heavily on the comparable sales.

By allowing each investor to take a unit at cost price, you will open everyone up to far more CGT than is neccessary, and increase your tax obligation on the project. If anything, you should sell the units down to the investors at the upper end of market value, and keep the margins of the project as thin as possible.

Personally, I would decline to take part solely on the basis of the poor quality of your post, and the obvious lack of experience it shows.

Advice – Go get someone experienced to assist you

Speak to an account than can count to ten (or preferable more)

As EVERYONE said, invest some time and $$ in a fesability study to see where you are at.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

For what it's worth, SEPP5 developments (NSW – over 55's) are a pain to sell, even in a strong market. There is a restrictive covenant as to occupation, requirements for an accessible apartment (including benches, doors etc) which make it appeal to a very small segment of the market. At the upper end of the market, you can still buy an excellent 3 bed apt plus another 2 bed, have money for a refurb and still come out at a lower cost than the SEPP5.

Profile photo of Bob AndersenBob Andersen
    Participant
    @bob-andersen

Hi Sydneyboy (and others),

Firstly, nothing I say here should be taken as advice.

Tim (Mortgage Plus) is right about the stamp duty – at least in Qld and I assume in other states. The CGT can be a future issue when selling later if done at cost price but there are ways of doing it at valuation without triggering a CGT event. Since the investors are retaining the completed product for investment, even though it will be transferred to the individual investors, you will most likely find you cannot claim the GST input tax credits from the development costs. 

But wait, there's a much bigger problem and it has to do with the Corporations Act 2001 as covered by the Managed Investments Act 1998 and the Financial Services Reform Act 2001. See http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca2001172/  This might seem like a long winded post but the penalties for being in contravention are severe. In the earlier part of my property development career (1980's – early 1990's), in the pre Managed Investments Act era, I used to use an almost identical scheme .

What you are proposing is by definition a MIS (Managed Investment Scheme)under S9 of the "Corps Act".
    managed investment scheme means:                  
    (a)  a scheme that has the following features:

(i)  people contribute money or money’s worth as consideration to acquire rights (interests) to benefits produced by the scheme (whether the rights are actual, prospective or contingent and whether they are enforceable or not);

(ii)  any of the contributions are to be pooled, or used in a common enterprise, to produce financial benefits, or benefits consisting of rights or interests in property, for the people (the members) who hold interests in the scheme (whether as contributors to the scheme or as people who have acquired interests from holders);

(iii)       the members do not have day?to?day control over the operation of the scheme (whether or not they have the right to be consulted or to give directions)

Your proposal has all three features and point (iii) is always the most damning. Jointly signed cheques, powers of attorney, management agreements won't beat it. You will be the promoter and manager of a MIS. Yes, it's also an incorporated joint venture and syndicated development but it is a MIS.

Registering a MIS with ASIC is a nightmare and very expensive. Product Disclosure Statement, responsible entity, compliance committee, compliance plan, constitution, pulic company etc. etc.

Section 601ED (2) in (part) gives some relief for having to register a MIS.
    (2) A managed investment scheme does not have to be registered if all the issues of interests in the scheme that have been made would not have required the giving of a Product Disclosure Statement under Division 2 of Part 7.9 if the scheme had been registered when the issues were made.

Certain Excluded Offers such as certain Small Scale Offerings are exempt from requiring a PDS and therefore, as described above, don't need to be registered. At the very least a comprehensive information memorandum would be advised.

One such exemption under Section 1012E(2) covers what is commonly known as the 20/12/2 rule.
    1012E  Small scale offerings of managed investment and other prescribed financial products (20 issues or sales in 12 months)            
    (1)  This section applies only to financial products that are:

(a)  managed investment products; or

(b)  financial products of a kind prescribed by regulations made for the purposes of this paragraph.

(2)  Personal offers of financial products do not need a Product Disclosure Statement under this Part if:

(a)  all of the financial products are issued by the same person (the issuer); and

(b)  none of the offers results in a breach of the 20 purchasers ceiling (see subsections (6) and (7)); and
                          (c)  none of the offers results in a breach of the $2 million ceiling (see subsections (6) and (7)).

Note what constitutes a personal offer (Section 1012E(5). It precludes public offerings, advertising etc.
      (5) For the purposes of subsections (2) and (4), a personal offer is one that:                    
    (a)  may only be accepted by the person to whom it is made; and

(b)  is made to a person who is likely to be interested in the offer, having regard to:

(i)  previous contact between the person making the offer and that person; or

(ii)  some professional or other connection between the person making the offer and that person; or
                                (iii)  statements or actions by that person that indicate that they are interested in offers of that kind.

The fact still remains that you would be dealing with a MIS. Section 764A (1)(b)(i) and (ba)(i) defines a MIS as a Financial Product.

764A
      Specific things that are financial products (subject to Subdivision D)            
    (1)  Subject to Subdivision D, the following are financial products for the purposes of this Chapter:

(a)  a security;

(b)  any of the following in relation to a registered scheme:

(i)  an interest in the scheme;

(ii)  a legal or equitable right or interest in an interest covered by subparagraph (i);

(iii)  an option to acquire, by way of issue, an interest or right covered by subparagraph (i) or (ii);

(ba)  any of the following in relation to a managed investment scheme that is not a registered scheme, other than a scheme (whether or not operated in this jurisdiction) in relation to which none of paragraphs 601ED(1)(a), (b) and (c) are satisfied:

(i)  an interest in the scheme;

(ii)  a legal or equitable right or interest in an interest covered by subparagraph (i);

(iii)  an option to acquire, by way of issue, an interest or right covered by subparagraph (i) or (ii);

Under Section 911A a person who carries on a financial services business must hold an AFSL (Australian Financial Services Licence). Among other things financial services include dealing or providing advice in a financial product (e.g. an unregistered MIS) where the scheme among other things "is promoted by a person (or associate of a person) who is in the business of promoting managed investment schemes". My discussions with a former ASIC lawyer suggest "in the business of" includes your first scheme and thereafter. It is possible to outsource the licencing but the MIS would need to become an approved product of the licencee. Not an easy process for a syndicated property development . 

In summary what you are proposing is fraught with danger. Ignorance of the law is never a strong ground to argue. Some people still unwittingly or brazenly conduct similar MIS's. But if ASIC gets hold of you watch out. They will immediately shut down the scheme (development), fine the promoter and put the investors funds at risk. I know some people who still play Russian roulette and don't get caught and I know several who have beem smashed.

Before proceeding with any such scheme seek legal advice – not from your average lawyer but from someone who specialises in corporate law, property syndicates, capital raising etc. I have no financial affiliation with them but I would recommend McMahon Clarke Legal in Brisbane as being at the forefront of this specialised area of law.  

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.