All Topics / Value Adding / Adding Stud Walls

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of snowboardingmr.psnowboardingmr.p
    @snowboardingmr.p

Hi Guys, great website indeed.

I wonder if anyone can give me a little help?

I am looking at doing a little renevation work to a property and would like to add a few internal stud walls with plaster to both sides. What i am really looking for is an approx cost to set aside for this type of work per m2.

Appreciate all your help in advance. 

Cheers,

Mark. 

Profile photo of GopinathVijayGopinathVijay
    @gopinathvijay

Whats the cheapest way to make stud walls?I once saw stud walls made recycled stuff. I need to make two bed rooms, I need to make three large walls, whats the cheapest way I can section them?

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Ingredients:
    90ml X 35ml x 2400ml studs at 450 centers (upright studs spaced this distance!).
    Nails ( I borrowed a nail gun and a compressor) but a good old hammer is OK as well just slower.
    Electric Saw or Hand saw ( i recommend electric) i borrowed one.
    Plaster Board surprising cheap!
    Plaster Joining Tap
    Plaster crews
    Plaster Joining Compound and Trowel (plastic ones are cheap and work well for small jobs). $20 a bucket of compound and will do a two or three small walls.
    Cornice $2 per meter ( can be tricky perhaps get a plaster to hang this if having trouble)
    Cornice Powder to glue cornice to plaster and ceiling.
    Arcitraves
    Electric Sander for plaster or a hand sander is OK for small jobs. $4.50 for three pieces of paper and two packets will do a few walls.
    Paint Undercoat $50 x 6 litres will do two three walls
    Paint $50 x 6 litres Acrylic will go lot further then undercoat (i have only used one top coat over undercoat)

I might have missed something but i think that's everything.

Let's see, one meter of wall uses about 3 upright studs at a standard height of 2400ml and then a top plate (same sort of boards that run across the top of the wall) and bottom plate (obviously the bottom board) and two noggins, these go half way up about at 1200ml between the upright studs. So total amount of stud length there is:

Studs per meter say $3.00 x 13 metres of board = $39.00 per square meter of wall framed and ready for plaster.  Best way is to measure the total wall distance and divide it by 450 that will give you the stud amount needed and then get the woodstore to cut the top and bottom plate to measure when buying or near enough to it. And get a third for the nogs and or use of cuts from studs and doorway offcuts etc. Remember you use double studs for wall joins at right angles.

I get enough wood to do most the frames then just go down and buy the last few peaces that way you have the exact amount and what little bits left use to light your fire.

Things to consider:
    Is there power points going in the wall?..if so they can be sourced cheaper then in the stores. You can prepare one side of a wall with plaster and pre drill wholes for the electrician and mount brackets etc to save on time and costs. Then have the electrician come for quick laying of wiring then you finish the other side of the plaster and get the electrician back to finish. You can get the power points and mounting brackets half the price on ebay. I priced them in store for $14 a double PP and got pack of 10  single light switches and 10 double power points for $74 delivered to the door. I put the plaster on all the sides that have the power points and cut the wiring holes and nailed the mounting brackets etc.

You got me on the wrong day as I can't give an exact cost per meter. I just done a few walls buying and saving on as much as i can and doing all the work except cornice and electrical wiring and have not calculated all the receipts yet. 

The problem with these things is trades people, you don't need to be a brain scientist to build a wall. At 50 an hour the less the trades people do the better if you have the time and have a go you can do it for a pretty cheap cost. I've got a lot of material, screws and bits left over so will save again on the next job.

Also for newbies search stuf on youtube you can find heaps of good tips on hanging plaster and painting, framing wood etc.

Profile photo of garry harpergarry harper
    @garry-harper

g,day guy,s remember TRADEY,S are people TOO,they have costs to cover insurance,tools, beer,licences (SOME) TRAINING,they are a buisiness they have to make money while they can,no super,no paid holidays,no sick pay etc, etc,a double sided timber stud wall should cost aprox,$25-$30 m2 if you know what your doing if you don,t well x2 or 4!!! remember the hospital number close to the phone just in case,,,,,only jokin,,,,,good luck,,,practice makes perfect,,,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.