All Topics / Help Needed! / 1 Rental Property on Separate Leases

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Mal111Mal111
    @mal111

Is there anyway I can put 1 property on multiple separate leases?? For example a 4-5bedroom house that is used for student accomodation, instead of using sub-leases, or having to change the lease each time a student moves in and out, can I have each of the students on separate leases. I want to ensure that the house is not considered a "share" house.

If not, can you do minor reno's on the existing house so that each bedroom is considered a different address ie bedroom 1 is 4a Bedroom 2 4b etc. When I say minor reno's ie ensure each bedroom has a kitchenette etc. I guess, what would define a house a apartment complex with common living areas.

Is there any other ways around this, I want a single house with muliple tenants on separate leases and have the house not considered a "share" house.

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos

Be careful that you have insurance cover that matches the arrangement you propose.  I beleive that you can split the lease as you propose ,  but I also found out that some insurance companies are particular about having all parties on one lease and a minimum lease period.   I am guessing they would want a higher premium for the arrangement you propose …..assuming you run with insurance

Profile photo of Mal111Mal111
    @mal111

I can really find any information on this except that in share house leases that there can be Co-Tenancy, Head Tenant/Sub Tenant leases. I would I go about creating multiple leases on the same house.

How does it work when someone leases out a granny flat, is it considered a separate dwelling?? What if the granny flat is under the main roof??

Profile photo of Adrian CahillAdrian Cahill
    Participant
    @adriannqld

Excuse me Mat, Im trying to learn from your post but im missing something. besides insurance what is so bad about having the property regarded as a share house. It appears to be one.

Adrian Cahill | AdrianCahill.com Personal Development Expert
    http://adriancahill.com/from-investor-to-coach/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Here since 2002, however things have evolved over the years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.