All Topics / Help Needed! / In-room auctions?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of jmanjman
    @jman

Hi all,
    Just wondering what your thoughts were on in-room auctions. Are they a good place to buy ? / sell?

For those who have never heard of an in-room auction; an in-room auction is basically an auction for a number of properties held in a community all / hotel etc. where photos and descriptions of the properties for sale are shown to a number of bidders in the room who then bid on which ever properties they want to buy.

I'm considering listing a property for sale at a in-room auction in Victoria but am a little unsure if its the best way to sell it (rather than on-site auction or private sale).

What are the clearance rates as in room auctions compared to regular on-site auctions? (better or worse?)

It would be great to hear from people who have bought or sold at an in-room auction before.

thanks,
    Jman

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It depends upon the result that you are after and the type of property that you are selling.

Most commercial/retail property is sold off site.

You would consider offsite for retail especially if the property was on a main road, under a flight path, on a train line or had tenants in the building.

If parties are interested in buying at auction they don't care about the venue.

Offsite auctions keep the tyre kickers away ie nosy neighbours or those just looking.

Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone

Hi Jman

I attended an off site auction last week at Charlestown NSW (near Newcastle) it was held in a funtion room at a large hotel,i understand they use this venue for all their commercial auctions (Ray White).
    They had a mix of about 12 properties for sale residential, commercial etc but only one "garage conveinience store" sold on the night, all properties received  bids but all failed to meet their reserves.

Goodluck
    Trustie

Profile photo of arandompersonarandomperson
    Participant
    @arandomperson

I have been to some done by Ray White, in terms of auctions the same as others except you can watch the other properties go (so a bit of drama and entertainment) and more comfortable (chairs) but as the properties are displayed quickly on wall projectors via powerpoint but of course you should have checked out the properties fully beforehand.
    A minor thing is if you have expressed any interest in a property you are surrounded by agents begging you to bid (if you havent) or bid higher (if you have bid and stopped).

As an aside to this the first property I tried to buy I got at a Ray White in room auction.. after the giddy excitement of the auction nobody bothered to tell us until a few weeks before settlement we were notified by our conveyancer that the contract of sale wasn't valid because the Ray White agents didnt have both vendors present to sign.

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

Auction clearance rates are very low at the moment ( 15% – 30% max )
    But you get some exposure to the market too, which may lead to private offers after the auction.
    It could be worth it, IF you plan to sell for a 'reasonable price'

Profile photo of yarposyarpos
    @yarpos
    Scamp wrote:
    Auction clearance rates are very low at the moment ( 15% – 30% max )
    But you get some exposure to the market too, which may lead to private offers after the auction.
    It could be worth it, IF you plan to sell for a 'reasonable price'

[/quote] sweeping generalisation re clearance rates, recent clearance rate in Sydney was about 48% and Melbourne 67% (where the original poster is talking about).  The only place I can find that  range to be correct is Brisbane.   I am looking at http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Auctions-still-in-the-doldrums-EZ22T?OpenDocument   and Real Estate Institute sites.   Is there another source I should be looking at?

Profile photo of jmanjman
    @jman

Hi all,
    thanks for your feedback. I'm leaning towards a more traditional on site auction because the location is good (on a quiet street), the place is attractive and is targeted to first home buyers who I suspect would be more inclined to attend on site auctions.

In room auctions (for residential properties) are fairly new in Melbourne so I don't really want to be a pioneer in testing this out. Most residential properties in Melbourne appear to be sold as either on site auction or private sale so I think is safer to stick to that. My thoughts are that buyers tend to be afraid of new things particularly if its the first time they are buying a house and putting up vast sums of money. So an in room auction could scare some genuine buyers off.

At the end of the day I think the agent is being a little opportunistic as in room auctions could allow the agent to move more properties in a shorter space of time in the one location (ie. its more convenient for agents – higher volume, more commission in less time). It's therefore not necessary in the best interest of the vendor particularly when there is no clear reason why we should go against the trend of on site auction or private sale when we have an attractive property for sale.

thanks,
    jman

Profile photo of Agent In ParadiseAgent In Paradise
    Participant
    @agent-in-paradise

In room auctions do have their benefits. Firstly it allevites any concern of bad weather that can affect on-site auctions. As 'arandomperson' wrote, In room auctions tend to have a good atmosphere if done correctly, and as long as the venue is not too far from your location, it is worth considering. If you have the chance prior to the proposed auction date, see if the agency is having any more in-room auctions. If so, it's certainly worth having a look to see how they operate.

Don't be discouraged by the clearance figures under the hammer. What a lot of sellers fail to realise is that an auction that doesn't sell under the hammer is by no means a failed auction. Of course that is the ideal result, but a good proportion of auctions sell shortly after the auction, as some purchasers cannot meet the auction conditions of a cash, unconditional contract. For example, they may require finance approval. The other benefit of auction is that as there is no price, it allows the market to make it's own judgement on value, and a good agent will provide comprehensive feedback to indicate what the market thinks your property is worth. If you don't sell under the hammer, you will have a clear indication of market value, and can list the price accordingly. This will encourage a timely sale as opposed to marketing with a price, and possibly overpricing which will discourage buyer enquiry.

Seriously, in this market I would not recommend private sale. A common problem when selling privately is that potential purchasers will not provide accurate feedback as they will not want to offend you. They will say that they loved the property and at  the price represents value etc. However, unless they express immediate interest, it is unlikely that you will hear from them again. It is essential that you receive true & accurate feedback from the market when selling, as this will help you in setting a price consistent with market feedback to affect a timely sale. An agent works a conduit between the market and the seller, and potential purchasers are much more likely to give accurate feedback to a 3rd party (agent) rather than offending the seller directly if selling privately.

Profile photo of NathyDNathyD
    @nathyd

Hope im not hi-jacking the convo here, but i hadnt really heard of these 'in-house auctions'.. Makes sense though.  I'd guess you would pick up some great bargains from it but at the same time you would get some real lemons.  'Bargains' doesnt quite fit term for buying cheap realestate doesnt it… Too antic roadshow like!!  Has anyone had success from these auction, more so to buying property?

Sorry for the hi-jacking of the convo

Profile photo of aface in the crowdaface in the crowd
    Participant
    @aface-in-the-crowd

The whole in room auction from ray white is a scam.   What they are able to do is use a system to put pressure on the vendor to sell.
    They use what they call an O level  which they will not offer a offer to a vendor before the auction.    they will use dummy offers to force the seller down.   then whilst in the in-room   they move around the room not really going any where.   Just to make it look like motion in the room.   this allows the bosses to put pressure on the purchaser and the seller.    they fudge there figures on clearance and will sometimes re run the same property.   there first four or five will sell    then the last ones are more likely to be passed. in

It has been bought down from Queensland because there market has slumped and to insure the ray white business still gets there money.
    Most of the property's they sell make less then what they originally tell there sellers.

Profile photo of colinnewlandcolinnewland
    Participant
    @colinnewland

For the sellers: I would think that the REA MUST offer reduced commissions as their costs are reduced, that is YOUR costs of the auctioneer is being divided between various sellers. If not, then ask them for a SUBSTANTIAL discount. If they will not offer it, go elsewhere.

Profile photo of Andrew Lee LawyersAndrew Lee Lawyers
    Participant
    @andrew-lee-lawyers

I have been to a few. There is a lot of atmosphere, and sometimes they do get a little crowded. Some people attend for market research rather than to do any bidding.

For some buyers, they may be interested in more than one property. If they miss out on one, they can bid in the next one. I have bought one that way.

You might get more bidders than at a standalone on site auction, where people have to race between different sites. If they arent too interested, then may may not attend the next site.

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

In-house auctions are fairly common in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney. They have their advantages and dis-advantages, but they are definitely very good for doing market research.
    Even if you don't sell your property this way, it would be well worth your time to attand a couple of these auctions. In a couple of hours, you can get a pretty good feeling for how hot or cool the market is at the moment. Sitting there and watching 5 to 10 properties go through the process will tell you a lot. You will see the number of bidders, where the bidding starts and then ends up at, how many get passed in, etc. 
    I would highly recommend anyone thinking about buying or selling attend a couple of these to get an understanding of the market at the moment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.