All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Investing Vs Managed Funds

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of vockievockie
    @vockie

Hi I was hoping to get some insight on forum users with experience in Property Investing Vs Managed Funds.  I have been looking into IP for some time now and my partner and I have finally paid off all debt and are now saving for our first IP.  However, I have also been keen on Managed Funds.  Going by stats from Money Magazine Best of the Best ’08 I have taken the then current interest rates since inception for the following selected funds and calculated a $5oo deposit into each per month, compounded monthly for a period of 20 years.   The following is the result:

BT Aust Shares  @ 15.74% with $5,000 deposit = $945,763

BT Small Companies @ 14.47% with %5,000 deposit = $783,542

Colonial Global @ 17.82% with $1,000 deposit = $1,158,668

MLC Horizon 4 Balanced @ 9.62% with $5,000 = $395,474

Hunter Value Growth @ 20.13% with $10,000 = $2,127,528

Total over 20 years = $5,410,075

Now this naturally does not include funds costs nor inflation and capital gains tax but the figures don’t seem too shy at all.  I do understand that there will naturally be differences in the overall result due to interest changes over the years, but spreading the load across a few funds over 20 years should return something similar. In theory anyhow. 

Anyone have any experience with managed funds and the reality of such forecasting? Opinions welcome.  I am 30 and also invest 5% of my salary into Super.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.