All Topics / Help Needed! / How to start if you’ve got no money?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of emilypatemilypat
    @emilypat

I am really interested in Investing…actually, to be honest, I am just interested in being financially independent and to have money by doing my own thing and not working! I'm 19, unemployed, (selling my photography online as stock photography) I have a decent amount (well not that much I guess) of money but I don't want to spend any until I have more, and not spend more than a particular amount. I was thinking more like investing in the stock market and learning about that… because I'm shy and I don't think I'm that great with dealing with people. And it seems to me that property investing would be more overwhelming having to meet people, maybe be like a salesperson?  Then there is the other great independent money maker..having a business…and I wouldn't mind that too.   What I'd love is guidance…nothing is more powerful and productive than knowledge being applied, being in that state of taking action, going into something for the first time. I suppose I could work it out for myself, but ofcourse what I want is a set of steps, a plan to get started…even better, a mentor or experienced person pushing me through each step before I have a chance to worry.  Anybody in the same boat?  Just sort of introducing myself anyway!
    Oh, I'm going to an internet marketing 'bootcamp' on the weekend, also my dad ordered Carly somethings study course on property development and I will go to the workshop with him later in the year. And my mum ordered the package/workshop of Brendan Nichols, who seems like such a nice person.

~Wealth and prosperity to you!

Profile photo of PaulypPaulyp
    @paulyp

Hi emilypat,

good on ya! for having the mindset i wish i had at your age, not many 19yo's think that way. Seems like your parents are smart and are helping you achieve your goals. 'Carly Crutchfield' I will be buying her home course next week and might go to the workshop in Sydney or wait till they come to Melbourne. Study that course, she's a genius, watch the dvd's atleast twice, and write down any questions you may have, then ask them at the workshop. READ, READ, and then READ some more books. If you haven't already, I highly recommend RICH DAD, POOR DAD by Robert Kiyosaki. That book changed my way of thinking and my life. There are heaps of great books out there. If you want other titles let me know. Write down your goals everything you want to achieve in 1 year, a few years, and long term. Then read them before you go to bed and in the morning. You can always change them later depending on your circumstances. Most importantly "know you will achieve your goals" don't just think it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The "burning desire" that sounds like you have and action will get you to where you want to be. and don't get sidetracked by too many things, that slowed me down in the past, everywhere I looked I saw opportunities, shares, marketing, real estate etc…. Choose a vehicle you luv to get you to your goals then drive it baby!, pedal to the metal! and don't look back, b/c when you do, you take you eyes off the destination "your goal". Once you've gone as far as you want to go in that vehicle then get out if you choose and drive another.

Anyway thats my 2c worth,

If you have any questions just ask, if I can help I will

paulyp

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hey there Emily.

How did the conference go?

I'm actually attending an internet marketing conference in Canada right now!

I agree that reading books is the best place to start… that's what I did.

I'd also make a start with some tentative investing, and if it's related to the stockmarket, get your hands on Louise Bedford's books.

Property is more intense in that you have to deal with more people, but you can also make a lot of money if you know what you are doing. Perhaps take a look at API magazine as there are articles from time to time from people less than 25 who do well from property.

I would also like to commend you on your attitude. Well done and all the best.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Glenn1964Glenn1964
    @glenn1964

Hi emilypat,

From your post, I can't help but feel inspired to see someone at your age ready to take a step out of their comfort zone. As I am in my forties I am hoping to retire in my mid-fifties and be financially independant. Starting at your age, the potential exists to be able to retire earlier than forty – and yes, beleive it or not that is still quite young!

As to where to go from here, I would suggest the following guidance:

1. Take up a mentoring program. Steve McKnights is probably most suitable. Don't necessarily look to buy property immediately, but spend lots of time with a multitude of people who have already achieved what you want to achieve.
    2. Spend time with like minded people. The mentoring program mentioned above should supply this. But, don't just do it on-line! Make sure you meet face-to-face and chat with like-minded people. When I first started investing, I had spent a lot of time with such people and, believe it or not, I found I was getting confused as to which way to go. Upon my first purchase, however, I did start to understand a bit more and things became clearer.
    3. Establish income. You have mentioned that you are looking at starting a business. Sounds like a great initiative. I had my own business for 5 years and found that I did get some rewards. However, back then the banks seemed a little reluctant to loan to small business. Other non-bank lenders can help but usually at higher interest rates. Consequently, I closed down my business and now work for wages. In your case though, if you have a passion to conduct this business and have set this on your path, then go for it! I had started my business at a later age and had two children to consider so for me it was not a great path to go down. At your age, what the heck!   My partner works in aged care and a common thought the elderly have as they lie on their death bed is they wish they took more risks  (as the rewards either financially or personally will come about and lead to an overall richer and rewarding life).  But finally on this point, apart from establishing income its also worthwhile to be able to show a lender savings – especially if its a deposit.
    4. Learn some patience. Others may feel different on this matter, but my approach with property is to retain it for at least 7-10 years before selling it off – if at all. As a 'rule-of-thumb' – the longer you wait, the better the return with property. As well as this, be cautious about reading too much into what is reported in the media with respect to housing values dropping/lifting, etc. Just rely on cold hard figures from such sources as RP Data, etc. My partner often reacts poorly to such news stories about higher interest rates and falling property values on one of the suburbs we have investment property in – but I'm confident in time this will alter as the technical assessment I have done has served me well on other properties. The only constant we ever get is change!
    5. The overall learning experience is constant. Just when you think you know enough, something else comes in from left-field that can be very useful. Never get a closed mind – as I did at one stage and missed out on a magnificent deal.

My very best of luck to you in your endeavours.

Glenn1964

Profile photo of asliekeraslieker
    Participant
    @aslieker

Hi Emily,

YAY! another 19 y.o. Same goal different situation. Lets talk. I've been thinking about Property Investing for a while but know absolutely nothing. If anybody has any suggestions, comments, advice please share them – Knowledge is power as far as I'm concerned and I'm feeling a little intimidated so it would be a great help. I've read Steve's "From 0 to 130.." and am rearing to go – except I don't know how. I'm contemplating the R.E.S.U.L.T.S Program  – any input? Does anyone know the costs involved and the location of any meetings/seminars in relation to the Program?

A little about my situation : Up until about two months ago I was working two jobs + attending university full time and with any freetime I had I was working with mum in her business. Mum's had a triple bypass and a tumor removed totally unexpectedly at 41, and so I have since taken over running the business, dropped one job and deferred uni for a semester.
    I view this time as a transition period in my life and when it comes full circle I want to set off with a bang. Until then, any money I earn (not from the business – that goes straight back into the business) I give to dad to help pay bills etc. as he's had to stay home quite a bit to help take care of mum. Prior to this, I was really good at saving money but at the moment I have no opportunity to accumulate funds.
    There is room for movement however, and life is good – can't complain but I want to start off on the right foot – so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Asli

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.