All Topics / Help Needed! / costs involved in selling property

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bloggs_ozbloggs_oz
    Participant
    @bloggs_oz

Hi guys,
       Due to a relationship break up I'm considering selling a property that I own with my now ex-partner.  I haven't sold a property before, so I'm not aware of what fees would be involved in this.  Can someone help me out here?  I'd like to get a rough idea of legal fees, any taxes, real estate agent fees, etc that would be involved.

The property is our primary place of residence.  It's a semi-detached property in bayside suburbs of Melbourne.

We bought the property for $426k in 2005.  We had it valued by the bank about 2 months ago at $550k.

If there's any other details that are needed let me know.

Thanks!

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

depends on if it was your primary place of residence with your wife.
    If not capital gain tax has to be paid
    The likely costs can be the selling commission to the real estate agent. Not sure on the percentage you would need to check see http://www.maggiethompson.ca/buysell.html#sell
    or you could sell it yourself  see http://www.jenman.com.au/BS_S_No_Agent.php
    Marketing costs up to $2000 for real estate agent to advertise property
    Having to go to a police station and declare every thing in the selling contract is complete and sign a stat dec is a bit of a pain

if you are buying another property that is where costs come in also

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

Hey duckster,

Why the need to go to a police station or is it a victorian thing? I have bought and sold many in NSW and QLD and have never needed to do that. Just curious.
    Mick

Profile photo of BuildaBuilda
    Participant
    @builda

Real Estate agent fees will range from 2% to 3%, depending on how hard you negotiate.

Also, this is one tip that is the best I have heard of to lock an agent in to his quoted price.  That is, if the agent you list with says you will get $560,000 then you will only pay him full commission on that amount.  For every $10,000 less then he starts losing percentage on his commission.  This is the best way I have heard to prevent agents from overquoting.

You will also have solicitors fees – could be anywhere from $500 – $1500 depending on who you use but be sure to use a property solicitor.

Again, depending if it is your principal place of residence will determine the tax costs etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.