All Topics / Help Needed! / Landlord advice needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Tony PTony P
    @tony-p

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any landlords out there that can give me some advice?

I am a landlord and own a commercial warehouse.
    The tennants have been there over a year and have just asked me to replace an external door because it doesn't close properly – this was the way it was when they signed the lease. They also want me to repair a toilet that is playing up.
    Is this my responsibility? The lease is a general one and seems a bit vague on specifics. Can anyone help or guide me towards a landlords advisory service if one exists? Do commercial tennants have the same rights as residential ones?

What if a burglar damages the external doors when breaking in? Is this my responsibily to repair too?

Thanks guys,
    Tony P.

Profile photo of LalibellaLalibella
    Participant
    @lalibella

Hi Tony,  its my understanding that it is your responsibility for any thing that is broken etc. obviously if its malicious damage etc then that's another matter. My PM recently sent her clients a very direct letter stating that everything in /around a property should work. If not then it should be replaced or repaired,  regardless of cause. Her examples were an air-conditioner that didn't work  or a non functioning combustion fire. The letter stated they should be removed or repaired.  No debate…..The reason is largely irrelevant according to her. Perhaps its different for commercial, maybe not. Personally we repair / replace items rapidly as its in our best interest to keep the properties at their best. Also when we want to increase the rent we have much more leverage.Obviously its mostly tax deductible also. Much luck.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

A door which does not lock is a security risk – he tenant may not be able to get insurance (as required under the lease). This is a lessor obligation to provide secure premises. Likewise the toilet – you own it, you have to fix it unless it has been broken maliciously by the tenants.

There are many similarities between commercial and residential leases however they are far less onerous (in some regards.

Stop being so tight!! Claim the costs as r&m and keep the tenant happy. Remember it takes longer to lease a commercial premises if they leave and the letting costs are much higher.

Profile photo of Tony PTony P
    @tony-p

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Perhaps I am being a bit scroogy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.