All Topics / General Property / Looking at buying second IP before end of 2008. Help please…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of LedaLeda
    @leda
    As of yesterday my wife and I now proud owners of our first investment property.  With minimal knowledge of increasing a property investment portfolio, I am now wondering how do I move to the next step of financing our next investment property. My question is probably one of the basics but its one that I need to get my head around… so bear with me,
    This is our situation.
    Home valued at                    $440,000
    I/P valued at                        $128,500  (brought it for $125500)
    total value in properties    =   $568,500
    from that total our equity  =   $455,800 (80% of value)
    Morgage on home    $305,800
    Morgage on I/P        $130,000
                              =  $435,800
    Is it now my understanding this leaves us with only $20,000 in equity.
    my question is; should we use this $20,000 to borrow approx another $80,000 to purchase a $100,000 property, or do we have to wait until we have $100,000 in equity to purchase a property. We are looking at $125 K – $145 K properties.
    where does the 'flow on effect' occur when purchasing more properties?? 

Our Financial state as it is

Combined income  $7000 Nett
    Home Mortage repayments – $2300 / month (P + I)
    Investment Rental income – $620 / month
    Investment loan monthly repayments $920 / month (IO)

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,

Leda

Profile photo of Dean LynchDean Lynch
    @dean-lynch

Hi Leda, The equity in your property is the portion of the value that is not financed. If your property is worth $568,500 and your debt is $435,800 your equity is $132,700. Some lenders will lend up to 100% of the value of your property and they would require you to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance or equivalent. This may give you some more room to play and I would suggest you consult your accountant about the claims that would be available. Your income position looks ok but without qualifying further I would be unable to give you a borrowing estimate. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know,

Regards,

Dean Lynch
    Principle Mortgage Consultant
    Australian Mortgage Brokers
    E: [email protected]
    W:
    http://www.deanlynch.com.au

Profile photo of LedaLeda
    @leda

Thankyou for that clarification Dean.  We have read a few tips about cross collatoralisation. Can anyone tell us why this is not a good idea in a few short points.  All your help will be grealty appreciated.

Leda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.