All Topics / Value Adding / Developing land in the Horsby shire (Sydney)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of TourMalineTourMaline
    @tourmaline

Hello all,

I recently purchased a property in the Hornsby Shire council, it is approximately 984 square meters in area on a sloping block (sloping down from the road). The frontage is only 15 meters wide and the land is absolutely covered in shrubs and 2 tall trees.

I am curious to know the cost of building 2 duplex's on this block- about 11m x 22m in dimesion and whether this is possible to do in this council. I am estimating it to cost around 700k for the two duplexes and another 200k in landscaping and clearing/flattening the land. Is this anywhere close?

Thanks alot.

TM

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Prepare for a long and drawn out da process with HSC (possibly up to 2 years). Their requirements are quite stringent with regards to the information required to be provided.

I have recently reviewed the documentation for a da for a single house on a sloping site in HSC zoned 2a environmentally sensitive (adjacent to a bushland reserve) – site covered in 20-30m tall var. eucalypts. DA included town planning reports etc.

Profile photo of TourMalineTourMaline
    @tourmaline

Thanks so much.

Wow, I got my work cut out for me.

Are they very strict about the 40% house 60% land rule?

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Very much so. The DA I reviewed (knocked back a few times) is now 39.3% excluding garages. BTW the DA cost in excess of $30k!!!! for a single house. (Including design/town planning/redesigns & council fees). It will cost at least another $15-20k to get those plans through to construction certificate before it can be built.

@tourmaline

Oh my God…Is there any chance that HSC will become a bit more lax in terms of development in the next say..10-15 years? I don't want to sound like I want to wrought the system, but if you technically dont build garages and park on grass (with a covering above it) would that not count in the 200m2?

By the way, just clarifying, does DA mean development plan?

Thanks so very much for your help, very apreciated.

TM.

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

TM, garages/carports aren't included in the floor area of the building under the HSC DCP. ie 40% doesn't include your covered parking area.

DA – development application.

@tourmaline

That is great- I suppose driveways aren't included either?

Profile photo of lucky88lucky88
    Participant
    @lucky88

TourMaline

You need to check the minimum site size for a duplex as I have a feeling your land is not gong to be big enough. Ring the planning dep at HSC and ask to speak to someone. Be prepared to be put on hold and to have to leave a message. Find out whcih Ward of the council your land is in eg A,B,C. You need a copy of Council's Development Control Plan to see what the rules are about what you can do. You will have to pay for this, as you do with everything in Hornsby Council.

Good luck

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

TM, check out the HSC website – most councils have LEPs & DCPs as PDF format for downloading. You will only need to pay if you require a hard copy from council.

@tourmaline

=(

It is not permited to subdivide or build 2 DUPLEX'S…2 Dwellings are allowed though.

Perhaps I could build the 2 duplexes, claim them as just 2 dwellings (not 4) and not subdivide…And then rent out 3 of the 4 units.

I can't find anhything wrong with this in the council plan,does it sound okay to you all? They are technically just all one property and 2 dwellings..

Profile photo of martin_2fmartin_2f
    @martin_2f

Hi, TM.
    I am a little confused – do you plan to build one duplex (consists of 2 units) or two duplexes (consists of 4 units)? cos I  think the "2 Dwellings on one allotment" usually means dual occupancy – whether attached or detached. One duplex consists of 2 units will be regarded as 2 dwellings attached to each other in council's point of view. So two duplexs (consists of 4 units) will be considered as 4 dwellings by council and thus are difficult to get approval in a low residential zoning.

Profile photo of roba72roba72
    Participant
    @roba72

im about to build a duplex in hornsby shire now I needed 500m square for dwelling meaning 1000m for a duplex dont know how your going to do it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.