All Topics / Value Adding / Council Issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lucky88lucky88
    Participant
    @lucky88

Hey all

Have put in an offer on some land in Guildford that is subdivisible. The DA expired December last year. Anyways, after a long night of investigation I have found that Holroyd Council takes…… 12 months…..!!!!! regularly to approve DAs of any kind… under 6 months is unheard of and I have been looking at all DAs from 2002.

I have tried to figure out what the problem is and can only figure that:

1. The architects/ builders are crap at making sure their DAs meet all the LEP and DCP requirements so that plans have to be submitted and then resubmitted.

2. The architects leave stuff out deliberately so that they get paid each time there is an amendment

3. The owners are very greedy and try and push stuff through that does not comply

4. Council is just very very picky

Anyone else encountered this length of time to process???

I am going for a very simple dual occ single level detached approach. The previous owner I think was way too ambitious.

I am also going to letterbox all previous neighbours that made complaints to reassure them that what I am proposing will add value to their street and not detract from their amenity.

Lucky

Profile photo of RockianRockian
    @rockian

If this is true Lucky then I would be reporting the council to the State Planning Minister or at least go to your local member and demand for an explanation. That is atrocious.  I have recently put 2 successful D.A.'s for dual occ through Byron Shire Council who have been notorious for hold up's. To my amazement the first was approved in 5 weeks and the second in 8 weeks. I do my own Statement of Environmental Effects based on the local DCP and LEP and on top of this I go and have a meeting with the head planner at council to run over the proposed development. It has been really helpful to study the DCP and ensure that all requirements are met. Remember that if you can meet all the requirements then neighbours have no grounds to object.

Good Luck Lucky.           

Profile photo of JLJL
    @jl

Lucky,
    Can't you take this sort of thing for approval at any council within the state.  Maybe try another council.  Others may be able to clarify this, but I am sure this is the case, just not often done. 
    Kind Regards,
    JL

Profile photo of lucky88lucky88
    Participant
    @lucky88
    Rockian wrote:
    If this is true Lucky then I would be reporting the council to the State Planning Minister or at least go to your local member and demand for an explanation. That is atrocious.  I have recently put 2 successful D.A.'s for dual occ through Byron Shire Council who have been notorious for hold up's. To my amazement the first was approved in 5 weeks and the second in 8 weeks. I do my own Statement of Environmental Effects based on the local DCP and LEP and on top of this I go and have a meeting with the head planner at council to run over the proposed development. It has been really helpful to study the DCP and ensure that all requirements are met. Remember that if you can meet all the requirements then neighbours have no grounds to object.

Good Luck Lucky.           

Profile photo of lucky88lucky88
    Participant
    @lucky88

That is heartening. I will ensure that my development meets all requirements, meet with the town planners and explain to them that I happend to have friends in the planning department! lol. Perhaps mention Frank Sartor's name? Just kidding. But I do think the key is just to make sure everyhing complies and well. I will expect neighbours to complain, as they have in the past, but as you say if the thing complies then they can't really cause me too much bother other than to wait for the DA to go before Councilors for determination.

Regards

Lucky

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.