All Topics / Help Needed! / How to buy second IP?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of sarahjacobsonsarahjacobson
    Participant
    @sarahjacobson

I have one IP with an interest only loan of $355K ($305K fixed at 7.79% and $50K variable at 7.87%) both with redraw and offset capabilities.  I have about $10k extra sitting over the loan accounts available for redraw.  Rental income is $345 pw. I purchased the property last July and believe it is easily worth at least $400K now (based on sale of another unit in same block for $395K in August last year).

I use the offset account for daily living and am not really disciplined enough to keep substantial savings in it.  For this, I have an ING maximiser with about $2K (which I save $340 pm into).

My salary is approx $62k. I am planning on requesting a tax variation from the ATO which should allow me to receive an extra $4-500 per month.

I am keen to purchase another IP (cheaper, hopefully near positive cashflow) and would like to know:

1. how much equity I would need and could use;
    2. how much cash deposit (if any) i would need; and
    3. if it is better to place extra funds onto my mortgage or into ING account for deposit or buy $2k worth of shares every six months.

Thank you
    Sarah

Profile photo of 888Abundance888Abundance
    Participant
    @888abundance

Hi Sarah

At $400K value and $355K mortgage, there appears little equity left to draw on unless you refinanced your LVR at above 80%.  This may then attract LMI if you decided to go down this track.

Your saving of $340 per month however sounds promising.  Also assuming your tax variation impact returns $450 per month, that would mean your tax return (if there was no variation) would amount to about $5K to $6K at the end of the financial year.

You might want to consider using the $340 per month in an offset account against your IP mortgage to offest the interest.  If you kept accumulating this in an offset account then this would come to $2K at the end of financial year.  Adding this to your tax return would give you around $7K to $8K.

Using these amounts you might think about looking for a property of around $70K financed at 95% LVR with 5% for costs.  In the meantime, you could start refining and practising the search for such a property and doing some 'dummy' runs of how you would proceed in July 2008 if all the conditions are right.  I don't know if such a property at $70K exists or what other criteria you would be looking for, but it would begin to refine your thinking into shortlisting property according to some stringent criteria.

For such a significant financial decision and with volatility in interest rates, it makes sense to 'practise' and do the sums over and over as much as possible.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.