All Topics / General Property / How did you get started?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of donkey33donkey33
    @donkey33

Hi,

Just looking for some examples of how people got into the property market. Prefer examples (if possible) from young people who don't own any property and were on a single income.

Just want to see if there's anyone similar and how they broke in. Whether they went expensive early on or started small. Started in big cities, suburbs or looked to regional and country areas.

Thanks

Profile photo of eclecl
    @ecl

I'm a SINK  'single income no kids' (hahaha as opposed to a DINK)

I'm currently working f/t and also in the last year of my degree.  After working the past 2 years and despite the fact that  I have a "very" decent salary (compared to people who have worked around the same time and longer in my industry), I decided that I did not want to work in IT/consulting for the rest of my life nor work for somebody else.   

Decided to break into the property investing scene early so that I can secure 1-2 properties and hopefully gain some rental income after I have paid them off.  This way, if I decide to start a business, I still have enough income from rent to sustain my lifestyle should anything go wrong. 

Another reason is my inability to save money if its sitting in my bank account.  I tend to slice bits and bits off it and before you know it…. i've used a large portion of it.  Figured if i used it in investments, it'll be harder for me to touch it.

Cheers

Eric

Profile photo of 888Abundance888Abundance
    Participant
    @888abundance

Hi

The market has changed quite a lot since I started so I don't know how relevant that would be – except to say, there are always obstacles in every marketplace, and success can sometimes depend on discipline and your ability to problem-solve.

Some of the classic issues for first timers are:

– the cost of a first property mortgage (at $300K+) negatively geared with a 4% yield and 8%+ mortgage interest rates (ie 4% out of your own pocket).  With capital growth, how do you service the cash shortfall debt?
    – if you buy in an outlying area or region for low entry level price and better yield, how do you anticipate whether there will be sufficient tenancy demand?
     – these are significant financial decisions which 'lock in' people for a number of years. 
    – with uncertainty in interest rates (and the rises), how would you have fared if you adopted some of the more traditional wisdom of IO loans (so you can buy more property and you leveraged to the hilt at 90% + LVR) without a good risk management plan?

I developed a boardgame simulation tool so that the various strategies could be roadtested whether they be capital growth/low yield, positive cashflow, managing moving interest rates, negative gearing & tax effects, etc.  A number of my 'apprentices' (some of who are already investors in property)  decided after simulating various circumstances, they would have done things quite differently in starting out if they had their time over.

I also conducted an exercise for a group of first timers about 18 months ago where people in their 'local' areas did an exercise in researching and analysing a proposed purchase.  Looking at the scenario in hindsight today has some interesting results.  One of these people picked the area of the Logan shire in SE Queensland where the cost of a basic two bedroom residential unit was less than $110K and the rent was about $145pw.  When I looked at http://www.realestate.com.au recently there is now nothing less than $200K and rent is around $185pw for these properties.

In another instance, about 9 months ago, I suggested looking at the Elizabeth, SA area (about 15kms from Adelaide central) for 3 bedroom 'houses/maisonettes for around $110K and returning about $150pw.  Today Elizabeth has well and truly exceeded those initial expectations for cashflow and capital growth.

Despite these two instances, which could have been lucky guesses, what would you have done if these had been 'bad' choices?  Ok if they had not turned out, then carrying a small mortage for $100K would probably still be manageable.

So some of the lessons.
    – Time is moving on.  The trick is to get into the game at what you can afford so once you are in, you can benefit from increasing prices.
    – Also, it gives you some sort of 'credit' profile as an investor.
    – What is the worst case scenario, if you 'picked' badly, and how can you stay in the game and keep servicing the mortgage.  Property investment is a very 'forgiving' investment and usually if you can stay in it long enough, your initial 'bad' investment can become good.  That's providing you were quite sensible and not overly high risk in the first place. 
    – What is a mortgage you can carry comfortably if things don't go well?

Hope that's given you a few insights.

Profile photo of Buying_FreedomBuying_Freedom
    Participant
    @buying_freedom

Hi donkey33,

I bought my first property on a single income when I was 23 years old. I decided to live with my parents for longer and rent out the property I bought so that the tenants could help me with my loan repayments. I didn’t buy a house as they were out of my price range. Instead, I bought a 2 bedroom Torrens Title maisonette in the suburbs about 20km from the Adelaide CBD. I’ve since been able to buy a house to live in using the equity I've gained from that first property.

I found that the first property was the hardest to buy. I treated it as a stepping stone to the house I wanted to live in. Once you get your foot in the door of the property market, it gets easier.

Good luck.

Profile photo of donkey33donkey33
    @donkey33

Thank you everyone for your insights. I guess I'm having trouble because like everyone says, the first one is the hardest.

I just want to make the most of moving back into home. My biggest hurdle now which I have to work through myself is what is feasible for my situation. How much I want to spend? What type of loan can I service, etc.

Up until now I've only been looking at houses and apartments right in the CDB but it seems a lot of people get started with a unit which is a little cheaper.

I might have a look around at these types of properties now to widen my net. I just need to decide where to look and where to buy now. Melbourne and the suburbs surrounding are very pricey so I'm going to have to try and find an area where the cost isn't too big for me.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

If you want to email me details I am always happy to crunch some numbers for you on serviceability.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jenstajensta
    @jensta

I bought in outer western sydney when I was 25 (in 2000), bought a cheap 3 bed townhouse, basically the cheapest thing in the suburb. 2 years later the boom had started which upped the value, so I used this place as equity to buy a place closer to the city.  I bought the cheapest, liveable property on the market rather than the maximum i could afford. While it did take a while to travel to work, I have built up equity over the years without struggling too much with a big mortgage.

Profile photo of donkey33donkey33
    @donkey33

I'm thinking that is the way I need to go. Look for the cheapest property just to get me started. I know once I start I'll be hooked and it'll get easier and easier.

What do people think of Pakenham? 1 hour East of Melbourne.

I've been told that I might be able to get a cheaper property down there and with the new Pakenham bypass opened, maybe that is a good option.

Richard, thanks for the offer. I have sent an email off to you.

Profile photo of jenstajensta
    @jensta

this month's API has an article on this. I posted a response to a question like this on another forum a few months back and hubby and i have our case study in the mag (they got it a little wrong tho but it does prove you can move up the ladder with not a lot to start)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.