All Topics / Value Adding / Floorboards under tiles

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of darktrooper7darktrooper7
    Participant
    @darktrooper7

Happy new year all! :)

Im in the process of organising a kitchen reno, which includes redoing the floor. The kitchen flows onto a sun room and also an adjoining hallway that leads to the rest of the house. There is probably around 30-35m2 all up.

The rooms are currently in 2 different types of tiles, over hardwood floor boards. Im thinking of polishing the boards but the issue i have is removing the tiles over the top.

What sort of damage can i expect to the boards in taking up the tiles (assuming that the boards themselves are in reasonable condition before ripping up the tiles)?

Can the tile adhesive be sanded off the boards ok? I guess the question is, is it worth doing the hardwood boards or should i just put a floating floor or other tiles over the existing tiles?

Thanks for responses in advance :)

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

The tiles should have been laid on top of ac sheeting, which is laid over the top of the floorboards. Is this the case?

If not, you will probably need to chisel as much of the glue of as possible, then get the sander onto them.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

you will find the fibro underlay is nailed on. There will be a million tiny nails to remove. This will leave small holes which is a minor issue. Be very careful not to chip the wood as each nail comes out, if they do, have PVA handy and glue them back in IMMEDIATELY.

Holepunch the nails you cant remove, as these look crap once sanded.

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus

Depending (only to a small extent) on the 'quality' of the property, I'd go for the floating floor. The cost will be similar or significantly less – especially if you have to get funky with sanding off glue, filling nail holes etc. and you are guaranteed of the quality and consistency of finish.

It could all be over in a few days vs a few weeks as well. And you'll know exactly what it will cost you before you start.

I've laid 30m of floating floor in 2 days in the past. If you've got a helper, or professionals, it's even quicker.

Daedalus.

Profile photo of darktrooper7darktrooper7
    Participant
    @darktrooper7

Thanks for the tips…i havent yet taken up any of the tiles so i dont know if there is sheeting underneath, but i do know that much of the work around the house was done by the previous owner (in the 1970's i might add) so who knows what lies beneath?

we are ripping out the kitchen in a week or so, so when i do that ill take up a couple tiles which will be hidden under the cabinets regardless of which flooring option we take.

Daedalus – with the floating floors, the hallway flows into the bedrooms and the kitchen into the lounge which will have carpets. Did you have any issues with steps in the floors between rooms? There is already a small step with the existing tiles, so my concern with adding another layer is that there will be a noticable step between rooms.

Profile photo of srobinssrobins
    @srobins
    darktrooper7 wrote:
    Thanks for the tips…i havent yet taken up any of the tiles so i dont know if there is sheeting underneath, but i do know that much of the work around the house was done by the previous owner (in the 1970's i might add) so who knows what lies beneath?

If it was done in the 70's, the tiles are probably laid on a screed which makes it (IMO) easier.  Just smash the tiles & concrete base to reveal the boards.  Don't get me wrong, It's still pretty hard yakka – but it has less potential to damage the floor when removing it.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

If it was done in the 70's, the tiles are probably laid on a screed which makes it (IMO) easier.  Just smash the tiles & concrete base to reveal the boards.  Don't get me wrong, It's still pretty hard yakka – but it has less potential to damage the floor when removing it.
    [/quote]

Would it be possible to still remove the tiles from the screed using a hammer and cold chisel or something similar, and then chip the screed off?

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

dont use floating floor.

one drop of water and its ruined. Its noisy, looks crap, affects resale and warps in the sun.

Profile photo of DaedalusDaedalus
    @daedalus
    crashy wrote:
    dont use floating floor.

one drop of water and its ruined. Its noisy, looks crap, affects resale and warps in the sun.

We have clearly had very different experiences with floating floor. I've had floating floor in a kitchen for 8 years, and there is no water damage whatsoever. It also gets a LOT of sun and has not warped or faded. Not sure what you mean by noisy. If you mean that you hear footsteps, well you get that will floorboards too. I would argue that floating floor is quieter – especially for rooms below, because of the layer of insulation that gets put down. I can't imagine anything else that might cause noise apart from poor installation.

Whether it looks crap is a personal call. I don't think it does, and it looks THE SAME as it did the day it went in. You may not get that with polished floorboards. It certainly looks a hell of a lot better than the wear and tear on the polished floorboards in one of my other properties.

As for whether it affects resale, I don't know. I can't really see how. Unless of course I happened to be trying to sell to your good self ;)

It's always dangerous to generalise

Daedalus.

Profile photo of darktrooper7darktrooper7
    Participant
    @darktrooper7
    srobins wrote:

If it was done in the 70's, the tiles are probably laid on a screed which makes it (IMO) easier. Just smash the tiles & concrete base to reveal the boards. Don't get me wrong, It's still pretty hard yakka – but it has less potential to damage the floor when removing it.

I think this is what it is since there is a small portion of tiles entering the bathroom that was damaged at some point and i can see screed underneath there. I wasnt sure if this was an attempted repair job on just that small portion, but considering what you mention i think its likely to all be laid like this.

Smashing also sounds better than having to pull out or punch hundreds of little nails :) hehe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.