All Topics / Help Needed! / first home buyer help needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of djgreekdjgreek
    @djgreek

Hi I would appreciate any suggestions
    I have found a unit I would like to buy
    I am in vic
    First home buyer
    I have a finance for the unit
    I have had a builder check out the unit
    How much is the first home buyers grant?
    Thank you 

Profile photo of TracyDTracyD
    @tracyd

You are best to go to http://www.sro.vic.gov.au which is the state revenue office. There is a link on the left menu for First home owner grants – it has all of the information you should need to check if you qualify.  I would have though considering you have finance approved that your mortgage lender would have gone over this with you?
    Anyway, good luck with it

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

In Victoria the FHOG is a total of $10,000 but surely your Bank or your Mortgage Broker would have gone through this with you when the finance application was approved.

As an approved lender your lender would process the FHOG application on your behalf to ensure the funds are available at settlement.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of djgreekdjgreek
    @djgreek

I have preaproval loan
    Any other tips or help would be great

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

It's not clear if the unit is for domestic (i.e. a home) or investment purposes.

I think you would be wise to work on a plan about how you will use this property as the platform to exchange (I didn't want to use the word trade as it sends the wrong impression) for better housing in future years.

The trend today is different to that of the past. The baby boomers bought a house, lived in in for 30 years and paid off the mortgage. Today, the trend is to buy, pay as little off as possible, and then use the equity derived from capital appreciation to swap into better houses.

Today's strategy does not repay debt as such, more recycles it. As such, the key assumptions are future growth and also maintaining an ability to repay the loan. If either of these is lacking, the validity of the strategy is at risk.

So, in summary, the critical question is: how does buying this property fit into your longer term plan?

Cheers,

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.