All Topics / Help Needed! / inner city Brisbane apartments

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of perryjuddperryjudd
    @perryjudd

I'm looking at investing in a Brisbane CBD 1 bdrm apartment. The returns look very attractive compared to buying a house adn land in the suburbs. ie >$400 pw on a low 300's K outlay. What are the pitfalls of investing in apartments? Any ideas on the capital growth prospects of this type of investment? And thoughts on buying furnished and having it fully managed?

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    perryjudd wrote:
    I'm looking at investing in a Brisbane CBD 1 bdrm apartment. The returns look very attractive compared to buying a house adn land in the suburbs. ie >$400 pw on a low 300's K outlay. What are the pitfalls of investing in apartments? Any ideas on the capital growth prospects of this type of investment? And thoughts on buying furnished and having it fully managed?

If the apartment is in unique position (example, overlooking a river or very close to the beach), you'll do well.  I have got two apartments which are in good locations.  I'm sure I would have done a lot better if I invested in land because it is the land that goes up in value, not the building which goes down in value.  Some people think that a well located inner city apartment will do better than house and land  on the fringes of capital cities.

I don't like fully furnished apartments for 2 reasons: one, tenants don't look after the furniture; two, most tenants already have their own furniture.  If you want the apartment to be fully managed by an onsite manager, you are going to be up for higher management fees.

I personally won't buy any more apartments.

Profile photo of perryjuddperryjudd
    @perryjudd

thanks for your thoughts… I guess the idea with the fully furnished ones is that they go into a corporate rental pool. But you have a point. Do you think that that type of structure would limit your range of possible tenants?
    Seeing as the building value goes down over time, therefore capital growth is less than for land, would a smart move be to look at buying in a new building (to claim full depreciation) then sell it after a few years before it starts to get dated? I would ideally rather buy a house and land but for that money you always need to renovate a bit and the discrepancy between rental income and repayments is much bigger…. neither of those aspects really appeal to me. Any more thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

Profile photo of Jon ChownJon Chown
    @jon-chown

Hleung stated,

I'm sure I would have done a lot better if I invested in land because it is the land that goes up in value, not the building which goes down in value. I really don’t know who started this story, but I believe that it’s time someone gave the other side to the equation. There are two main approaches that people can take when deciding to invest in property and we should first understand these differences.   We can enter into a long term investment or speculate.   For most full time working Mum and Dad investors, the long term investment is the best option.   On the other hand (and I really think that this type covers the majority of investors on this site) some people enjoy speculative investment.   This type can be varied but usually centers around a value add scenario or development.   Don’t misunderstand me, both types can be viable, however I stress here that with speculative investment, in most cases you simply buy yourself another job and pay more tax (both personal and Cap gains). As the statement above is more often than not related to long term investments lets analyse the facts a bit further.   While it is fair to say that I have not researched Inner City Units compared to Outer Suburb Houses (I will try to find the time to do so), but from here, I am going to rely on figures that I have previously researched for the suburb of Coorparoo in Brisbane.   We are going to look at a ten year period from 1994 to 2004.  Now the first thing we must agree on is that as we are attempting to analyse which is the better investment we must get rid of all emotion (virtually impossible for the majority of investors) and consider the rate of return on the actual money that we invest in the property.  
    The Assumptions 
    Information                                                  House                                    Unit
    Median price 1994                                       $160,000                               $120,000
    Purchasers Income                                       $47,000                                  $47,000
    Capital Growth Rate                            9%                                           7.15%
    Inflation Rate                                                     6%                                           6%
    Median Rent return 1994                             $165                                       $150
    Median Rent return 2004                             $275                                       $248
    Management fees                                            8.25%                                     8.25%
    Rates                                                              $1,800                                    $1,200
    Building Insurance                                         $400                                       In BC Fees
    External Maintenance                                   $1,000                                    In BC Fees
    Body Corp Fees                                           Nil                                            $1,200
    Borrowings on Int only at                              6.5%                                       6.5%  

Using the data above in a Property Investment Analysis projection we find that over ten years the results are as follows.

Information                                                  House                                    Unit
    Purchase Value 1994                                   $160,000                               $120,000
    Value2004                                                     $378,778                               $239,388
    Equity                                                             $210,795                               $112,871
    Investor Contributions
    Over 10 years                                                $33,722                                  $8,581  

However, when we started this analysis we stated that what we were looking at was the rate of return on the dollar that we invest, so that in order to make the investments equal we need to divide the House investment of $33,722 by the Unit investment of $8,581 which will give us a coefficient of 3.93.   We must then multiply the Equity of $112,871 by the 3.93 which would give a figure of $443,583.
     In other words if an investor had to decide whether to contribute $33,722 into a house investment in order to make a gain of $210,795 or a unit investment to gain $443,583 – should the value of the land increasing and building decreasing have any bearing on the decision? 

I’ll leave you to make that decision, but hasten to add that there is more to a good investment than land value.

Jon

Participant
    @hleung
    perryjudd wrote:
    thanks for your thoughts… I guess the idea with the fully furnished ones is that they go into a corporate rental pool. But you have a point. Do you think that that type of structure would limit your range of possible tenants?
    Seeing as the building value goes down over time, therefore capital growth is less than for land, would a smart move be to look at buying in a new building (to claim full depreciation) then sell it after a few years before it starts to get dated? I would ideally rather buy a house and land but for that money you always need to renovate a bit and the discrepancy between rental income and repayments is much bigger…. neither of those aspects really appeal to me. Any more thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

There is definitely an opportunity for corporate rentals, if you can tap into this niche market.  The returns would be better than normal rentals and you don't have so many problems with damaged furniture.  You have to look at the overall return (rental return and capital growth) to work out which way to go.  I read a report recently which indicated that some corporate travellers are tired of being stuck in hotels for days on end.  They'd rather live in an apartment in which they can live a more "normal" life.  Most capital cities don't have enough these type of facilities. 

Over the last 18 months I've deliberately decided to follow the John Fitzgerald model of investing.  Buy land in strategic locations, build brand new homes and hold on indefinitely.  After each project, I've gained instant equity of approximately 20%, never had any problems with maintenance & tenants and the depreciation allowances are fantastic.  A number of my friends and family are also successfully using this method.  It's a lot easier and cheaper than renovating.

As I said earlier, I'm not a great fan of apartments, new or second hand.  If you haven't got the time or the skills to investigate returns on units, it is much better to concentrate on house and land situated no more than 25 kms from the CBD in any capital city of Australia (excluding Hobart). 

Participant
    @hleung

Your figures are interesting and you make some good points, Jon.  I think that we need to take a macro approach rather than concentrate on one suburb which may not typify potential returns on houses or units. It'd be good for others to get involved with this "debate". 

Over the past 2 years, I've read books and gone to seminars run by what I call the "gurus" of residential property investing, namely John Fitzgerald, Jan Somers, Steve McNight, Margaret Lomas, Michael Yardney and Dympha Boholt.  From the principles that I've learnt, I've decided to follow one strategy rather than pick bits and pieces from a number of strategies.  Although I'm reasonably flexible, I don't have the skills or the time to keep on jumping from one idea to another. I basically follow John Fitzgerald and Jan Somers, namely buy mainly house & land and hold for the long term.  

@jon-chown

Hleung,

Buy land in strategic locations, build brand new homes and hold on indefinitely.  After each project, I've gained instant equity of approximately 20%,

This strategy looks good in principal and I am not knocking it in any way at all, however I believe that the 20% instant growth that you are receiving is based on the difference between your building cost and a Developers mark up plus the GST saving that you would have on the construction contract.   This is great and would work a treat in Suburbs closer to town equally as well (if you can find the land).   My doubts would be on the short term capital growth rate of a growing suburb.

I agree with your comments in your last post and would like to see further discussion.   As to my choosing Coorparoo as a suburb, I can confidently say that my research shows that the same data would apply for any suburb within 6K GPo in Brisbane.   Obviously I can not speek for other States, Cities, Towns or beyond the balck stump.

I have also read many of the Authors that you mentioned, in fact the results of my calculations were calculated on Jan Sommers PIA programme.   I am also relying on the experiences of over 20 years of being in the real estate business and having witnessed other peoples successes and failures (not to mention my own).

Jon

@perryjudd

once again thanks for the ongoing comments….
    About the corporate rentals… this is what Ive been looking at more recently. The returns are much higher than what you can get in long term, and certainly better than the figues quoted for inner ring suburbs like coorparoo.
    Basically on a $330K outlay the rental returns in a furnished corporate rental pool are above $420 per week including management fees. Im not sure if that's guaranteed but on recent data that I can gather the ocupancy rates in these inner city apartments is around 95%.
    So if I spend 330K and borrow the lot at say 8% that's $26400 per year interest. Add body corp and rates of say $5000 that's 31400 per year.
    Take off 21840 in rental income that leaves $9560 out of my pocket, which is affordable on my meagre full time salary.
    I know that if I buy a house and land I would have for fork out considerably more to make up the shortfall between rental income and interest repayments, not to mention the hassle of maintenance or renovations to get the thing rentable.
    I guess the big question therefore is what is the difference in capital growth and is that better enough with the house/land to overcome the burden of negative gearing myself to the hilt?
    As you all can probably tell, I'm new to this so i would more than welcome comments and criticisms to my thought process!
    Cheers peoples!

Participant
    @hleung
    perryjudd wrote:

once again thanks for the ongoing comments….
    Take off 21840 in rental income that leaves $9560 out of my pocket, which is affordable on my meagre full time salary.
    I know that if I buy a house and land I would have for fork out considerably more to make up the shortfall between rental income and interest repayments, not to mention the hassle of maintenance or renovations to get the thing rentable.
    I guess the big question therefore is what is the difference in capital growth and is that better enough with the house/land to overcome the burden of negative gearing myself to the hilt?
    As you all can probably tell, I'm new to this so i would more than welcome comments and criticisms to my thought process!
    Cheers peoples!

Have you been able to get a projected capital growth for the unit?  Don't accept the spin from salespeople, you need to get some independant advice on this.  There is a good program on 4BC from 10-12 every Saturday when you can ring up and ask for advice.

I don't think that there are renovation and maintenance issues if you buy land and build a new house.  You are also appealing to a wider market.  Corporate rentals can be okay if you know what you are doing, the problem is that the appeal is to a very limited market and if that market dries up you could be in trouble.

I've got a great property manager.  Even when I'm travelling overseas or interstate, I never have to think about maintenance issues.

@jon-chown

Hi perryjud,
    I believe that your calculations are a little light on.   By my calculations (and working on your income being $50K) the annual shortfall on this purchase would be $14,686 pre tax. or if you were to apply for a variation certificate you can reduce this to around $8000 a year.

As for projected capital growth rates, thats just what they are – someones guess.   I preferr to work on past figures actually achieved and on the unit in question, I have worked on a conservative 7% growth.   The pre tax rate of return is 43.27%  and the equity built over 10 years would be $304,746.   Your total outlay over 10 years would be $52,108.

The question that you have to answer is, for an investment of $52,108 of your money over ten years to create an equity base of $304,746.(or $207,172 after Cap gains tax)   Is that good enough?   If the Government told you that for every $1 that you saved they would match it by $3, would you think that it was a reasonable deal?

Jon

@perryjudd

thanks jon, could you let me know how you arrived at the figure of $14686?

@jon-chown

Perryjudd,

I can do better than that, if you would like to send me an email, I will reply with a full Property Analysis (6page report) which should answer all of your questions.

Jon

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Jon, good neutral analysis what it tells me is that Houses or Units its all good…..even better if you can wangle it that you arent putting any money into the deal…if you can do that then houses are better (joke).

Hleung I am like you I previously chopped and changed and have now settled on new H&L Packages long term buy & hold get my cashflow from work.  I have noticed that some investors get very defensive of their strategy and insist that theirs is better than yours and go to great lengths to demonstrate this.  My view is that there are many ways to make a Motza and use whatever one makes sense to you  eg.  I dont have the bottle to borrow for shares and I know that this is a wealth generator over the past few years, I ahve no problem borrowing 106% for houses though.

Perryjud, my bit of free advise to you (and its only worth what you paid for it) is do your projections on normal rent and if it works for you then go ahead and treat the corporate rent as cream….if you would struggle and you did say you had low income then maybe something more standard menu better for sleep at night factor.

Latest report by the National Institute of Economic and Industry Research says that Brisbanes Gross Regional Product will double from $89b a year to $203b a year in 2026,  a 54 % jobs growth which is more than three times the citys planned population increase, excellent news for all Brisbane house and unit investors both will do well.

Apparently Brisbane is the second fastest growing city after Phoenix in the western world.

@perryjudd

thank you all again very much. Jon I will contact you on monday. I am also planning on going to an auction night this week to see what the apartments I have inspected will actually go for. It will help to make up my own mind about whether what I perceive to be a fair price is actually what other people are willing to pay as well.
    Obviously it's all about doing your figures, but just which figues to use is what I still need to learn.
    Cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.