All Topics / Value Adding / glass – pilkington

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea

my house is almost 70% glass, and i have just discovered, very thin glass.  my two options are: double glazing or high quality drapes that wouldn't suit my house. i've just been reading up on pilkington glass – http://www.pikington.com.au and would like to hear any thoughts on this glass, if anyone has heard of it or had any experience with it.thanks

Profile photo of RobLRobL
    @robl

we went with commercial glass .. no transoms, mellions (think thats the spelling) .. you'll need to change the frames though – we found it cheaper than double glasing .. and aust standards allow sheets of up to 2.1 metres (if I recall correctly) ..

Profile photo of brookeleabrookelea
    Participant
    @brookelea

even with changing the frames was it cheaper?how many ml is commercial glass?could be a more viable option.thanks 

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Pilkington is a manufacturer of glass. What type of glass are you actually referring to?

Tools

Participant
    @brookelea

the glass that insulates against the cold and heat.my house is going to get incredibly hot during summer due to the windows, and lose a lot of heat in the winter.i read in the paper that the new pilkington glass has some type of thermal protection.  i'm sure that there would be other types too, i'm just unaware of them.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

As Tools said, Pilks is a manufacturer (another is G James). All glass must comply with the Aust Glazing Code AS1288. Current council requirements also stipulate reflectivity, transmission etc.  What do you consider is 'thin glass"? – 2mm is picture frame glass which was often used in clear leadlight windows (1920's), 3.5 mm approx in most windows < 1m2 otherwise should be using laminated glass  or toughened glass (safety glass) as it posses a danger if you run into it.

70% of your walls are glazed – this is extremely high as most are around 5-10% (thought to self – must be a highrise on an island in Sydney Harbour).

High efficiency single glazing will reduce heat loss compared to clear glass however it will be pricey – you should consider all of your options (visit the home efficiency websites for suggestions on reducing heat gain/loss). Another option may be a cheap version of double glazing (magnetite?) which is a framed perspex window infill fixed onto the existing frame with magnets – has a similar effect as double glazing.

Participant
    @tools

Are you talking about comfort plus?

Tools

Participant
    @brookelea

thanks guys. i'm not sure if it's comfort plus tools.my frames are all wooden and some places that i have rang only deal with aluminium frames.all i do know is that this will be one very costly exercise

Participant
    @tools

It sounds like comfort plus you are looking at. I would avoid it if I was you. It suffers from cracking when you get a temperature differential between the two faces, and is exacerbated by  having curtains and blinds installed.

Tools

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.