All Topics / General Property / Property Investment Groups???????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of AJMJAJMJ
    Participant
    @ajmj

Hi,

If anyone could offer there opinions on joining groups of property investment people.

I am considering purchasing an investment property through a company who pretty much tell you were to look at buying and  they actually have there own homes you purchase. Havent seen the nitty gritty details yet, pretty sure you just purchase from the builder and this group take a commision or something.

I have heard some nasty stories and also heard there was a show on TV which investiagted this kind of thing.

The reoson i am looking at it is because of the prices available and the research that is done for you. I would not know what to look for. Everything i have seen and heard and i have looked into a little all looks legitimate.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

AJMJ

Profile photo of In TrainingIn Training
    @in-training

Hi AJMJ

Beware!!!  We got involved with a company about 3 years ago who "added value" to properties, i.e., renovate, etc.  For a fee they would source the property for you, outline their "add value" plans and commence the project.  The idea was for a relatively quick turnaround from purchase to sale.  This company was recommended to us from a very good (now) ex-friend.  To cut a long story short we ended up losing about $92,000 through poor due dilligence from our part.  We had regular meetings with the company and everything they said was that the project was going to plan, bla bla.

We, like you thought that, if they were doing all the work for a fee or commission – what could possibly go wrong??  ALOT can go wrong.  One of the problems was that GREED and lack of INTEGRITY got in the way of some of the Directors and some of the "on-the-side" deals they were doing brought the company down – big time!!

I certainly don't want to tarnish every company with the same brush – however, that was our experience.

Lessons learnt – 

– If  you get involved in something like this do your own due dilligence before signing any contracts,
    – Enlist the services of your Solicitor to take a look at any contracts between you and the company,
    – Find out the structure of the company, i.e., trust, etc (Your Solicitor can conduct this search or you can)
    – Don't trust everything they say – research yourself,

Finally, treat it like a business (it's your money), get invloved, request updates, request up front projected figures, get a Written Guarantee on a minumum profit (priceless if you can get it).  Don't sit back and think just because you are paying them that everything is fine.

Good luck

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

It sounds a bit like the investors club, there are quite a few posts in here on them.  If you do your own due diligence you will save but if you cant be bothered then i guess you pay for it

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You can buy one of my properties.  I will cobble up some newspaper clippings and a sales pitch to prove how good the area is and even extrapolate how continued 20% growth (which we can show has happened in the last few years) will make you a millionnaire soon.

The prices will be non negotiable because they are already too cheap as a special deal to you.

I will even line up a tame, valuer, lender and solicitor for you to use so you don't get independent advice and I get a kickback from them.  I can even fly you up and refund the $49 ticket after you buy!

All this work we do for you will save you a few weekends work and only costs you $10K too much now and poor capital growth into the future as I flog stock that locals wont touch because they know the freeway will be going in past the back fence later on.

Sounds good?

Seriously – you will do better on your own and you may even enjoy the learning process.  I have heard so many horror stories from people buying through these groups – groups which exist solely to make the directors money. 

If you want to ask questions then do it here, plenty of enthusiats willing to share their knowledge.

Good luck mate

Profile photo of AJMJAJMJ
    Participant
    @ajmj

Thank you for that.

I know what you mean, i have tried to read between the lines. I am just sick of not being able to trust people and what they say.

Any more advice or stories would be really appreciated.

Simon – are there any websites open to people like me who have no passwords or anything to find all these detais out on my own?

Thanks again.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    AJMJ wrote:
    Thank you for that.

I know what you mean, i have tried to read between the lines. I am just sick of not being able to trust people and what they say.

Any more advice or stories would be really appreciated.

Simon – are there any websites open to people like me who have no passwords or anything to find all these detais out on my own?

Thanks again.

Try this.

Get to know your local area very very well.  Search the real estate websites and visit properties each weekend.  Try to see about 20-50.  The more the better.

Pretty soon you will be able to pick what offers you the most potential at the best price.

Make offers.  No vendor expects to be paid his full asking price.

There is no secret place in another state where all the deals are gold.  Why buy something unseen that the local investors aren't buying??

There is no easy ticket either – you need to put the time in.

All the best mate

Profile photo of corhigcorhig
    Participant
    @corhig

Use these companies up as much as you can.  In 2003 we also had a meeting with a company who drove us to the site of their latest developments, showed us great numbers, rental guarantee and gave us the very hard sell – sign now or you'll miss the last townhouse.  We signed, knowing there was a 3 day cooling off period.  Then I did my research for the area.  They were about $35k over priced.  So I rang the next day and cancelled.  They weren't happy !!  From that research I did, we ended up buying two properties on our own over the next 2 years, no need for rental guarantee as vacancies were low anyway.  So all I can say is use them for as much information as you can get, then do your own homework and if it looks like a good area, buy on your own. 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.