All Topics / Help Needed! / Builders Nominee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of JCLJCL
    @jcl

Hi There

I am looking for a builder in the Brisbane area who is willing to be a nominee for my company to obtain a builders license. I am completing a house using an owner builder's license but that means I have to live in it for a while which is not desirable, and I cannot do another one for 7 years. I also have other projects I would like to move on with that require a license for and don't want to be held up with them. Doing the associated study or obtaining RPL is not a problem. I am a member of HIA and have several years experience in the commercial word of project management and property development. While it is not legal to rent a license I am willing to  discuss other options. If you know of anyone who may be able to help please send me an email.

thanks

[email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Dont want to be negative claire but i think you are asking a bit much.

You are wanting someone to put their name and financial future on the line for a couple of quid.
    I must admit i cannot believe any reputable Builder would want to take the chance. 

More importantly once the property is sold the potential buyer will buy the property on the basis it has been built by the particular Builder and I assume that you have no intension of disclosing to them that it was really an owner builder project.

I know my Business partner for one would walk a million miles rather than let someone else use his license.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of JCLJCL
    @jcl

Hi Richard
    I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my thread, thankyou. There are 2 industry standard ways to obtain a builder's license. The obvious one is to go to tafe and spend time on the tools, get the carpenter's certificate and the builders study following to get the lisence. This is a great way for an 18 year old to have an apprenticeship and get into a trade. The other is to go through a company and use a nominee. There are many licensed builder's who have obtained their license quite legitimately this way. Having been screwed by a builder in the past I have made enquiry as to ways of obtaining a license and have been advised by the leading body that with my background in project management I should go this way and find a nominee for my company. They have made me a member regardless. The work is carried out by licensed tradesmen and all work is certified by such. No I have nothing to hide and nor would I do anything that was not creditable. When you use a builder's lisence you don't use an owner builder's lisence. One or the other. I will project manage the work, attend Tafe for 2 years. The technical term given to me in this capacity is a supervisor. My job is to procure licensed tradesmen and project manage the process of the build. The builder & I will discuss which stages of the construction or project that they will carry out inspections as they are signing off the work. I will pay them not for the use of the license but for their time as a consultant which I think is legal. I need to check on this as I understand there is a legal way of doing it. I was told by the housing authority (which I prefer not to name) that I should arrange this directly with the builder.It is a bit like a builder employing an apprentice. The apprentice does the work and the builder signs off their work. Legally the builder doesn't even need to be on site all the time.  I will not carry out rennovations over $11,000 without a license because it is illegal. However many people do.  I am not expecting that many builder's will respond but there may be a retired builder out there who does have a bit of time for inspections, is willing to be paid for their time and would like to help someone who is sincere, works hard and wants to get ahead. They might ask for some kind of financial security to cover the 6year3month guarantee over the property.  I envisage building 4 houses over 2 years. It would be interesting to ask Martin Ayles if he spent time on the tools. So again I ask if anyone knows of a builder who would be interested in talking to me please contact me. It is a pity my Dad has long retired and no longer holds a builder's license!!! Perhape I should be advertising for a foster Dad with a builder's license!!!

Have an incredibly wonderful day.

Many thanks

[email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Clair

I fully appreciate the differing industry standards in Qld as we use a Corporate License with my partner as the nominated Builder and have done so for over 50 projects in Brisbane over the last 10 years  including the Nundah Bowls Club (55 Townhouses) and the Fortitude Valley Fire Station.

My response was in regards to your statement I am completing a house using an owner builder's license and that this inferred that the Building was almost completed. As such you were asking for a Builder to sign off on work that he / she could have never inspected as the building was complete.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of JCLJCL
    @jcl

Thanks for pointing that out Richard. I am purchasing a house built and certified to lock up stage by a builder  The builder went broke due to mismanagement and is selling it to me 1/2 finished. So I either employ a builder to complete it and I have less control of the project and more expense or I complete it as an owner builder project from plaster board fix out to turf and letterbox. Then I have to live in it.  There are builders out there who are better suited to their trade  than management.

So it is a matter of what next. Do I keep funding private and project builders or just do it myself. Interestingly I have been offered a partnership with a project manager who has a nominee. Not exactly what I am after.

Thanks again

[email protected]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

If your dad is a retired builder, why not have him re register and have him be your nominee?

Tools

Profile photo of JCLJCL
    @jcl

Good point,thanks. He doesn't have the health for it. 82 and on dialysis. Would have been great otherwise. Old school , excellent quality, he has been a great help to me checking out work done by project builders. However my regular builder who I would have asked has gone interstate. I can always ask around the builders I know. Just need to build more relationships I guess. But if anyone is out there that is interested I would still be glad to hear from you.

Thanks
    Claire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.