All Topics / Help Needed! / -=** Help needed for first deal in PI **=-

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of gaga1227gaga1227
    @gaga1227

Hi Everyone,

I'm 26 and about to decide on my first deal on PI, the property is an off-the-plan 3 bedroom house in Sunbury, VIC. It'll be settled end of the year.

I'm not 100% sure the deal is good as my first step in PI. So can I ask for some of your advice and opinions, whatever you think. Below is my current details and the pros and cons based on my own opinion, my learning an research.

== CURRENT FINANCIAL SITUATION ==

– Wage: $1150 before tax
     – Savings: around 30,000 ATM

== PI GOAL ==

– Acquire 20 properties or more in 20 years to secure my wealth and early retirement
     – Having a +CF if possible

== PROS ==

– Affordable
     – Stamp duty on land only
     – Big depreciation return for new property
     – Low rental property supply with increasing demand
       (most ppl buy instead of rent due to good affordability for now, the airport development plan likely to drive more ppl to live there)
     – Bigger land size (than units in high-profile suburbs)
     – An average 9% annual value growth for past 10 years (according to internet data and some agents.)
     – Low vacant rate (according to local agencies)
     – Finally, as it's my first IP, I can have a better financial situation and with those tax benefits I can get onto my second property quickly.

== CONS ==

– It's far and It's in the west  (seems a lot ppl don't fancy west and they do have fair reasons)
     – Value growth and rental return might not as good as inner suburbs (I can get one of those, but it pushes the limits too hard)
     – If the richer get richer in the near future, It might been even longer and harder for me to grow my portfolio.

Thanks you all so much just for reading this far, really do appreciate if you can give some advice and share some knowledge.

Johnny:)

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi gaga,

"== CONS ==

– It's far and It's in the west  (seems a lot ppl don't fancy west and they do have fair reasons)
     – Value growth and rental return might not as good as inner suburbs (I can get one of those, but it pushes the limits too hard)
     – If the richer get richer in the near future, It might been even longer and harder for me to grow my portfolio.

Thanks you all so much just for reading this far, really do appreciate if you can give some advice and share some knowledge.

Johnny:)"

you sort of anwered you own question in part; my concern is all of the above, AND you are going for a 100% finance deal. This is a very dangerous level of exposure for your first deal.

One of the big dangers with "off the plan" purchases is buying at the right price in relation to the market. All new projects have a profit margin built into the purchase price for the developer, and quite often these sorts of projects are bought up by investors. The problem here is if they get into trouble, or there is a shortage of tenants, or both, they have to either sell, or drastically reduce the rent to get a tenant, and if you are also an owner in the complex then it directly affects the value of your unit and your rent returns should you need to sell or find another tenant. At 100% finance this is very dangerous.

This scenario happened in Melb with the inner-city apartments around 2003-04. Many were re-sold at big losses because there was an over-supply, no tenants to be found, so the rents dropped, many investors couldn't fund the extra neg cashflow and had to sell.

The SECOND buyers were the ones who did well.

Don't go into this deal purely for the tax advantages. They are the icing on the cake. The deal should stand on it's own before you apply the tax benefits.

What is the rent return? Is it at least the same as current loan interest rates? Check the actuals against other existing newer complexes in the area.
    What are the comparable prices of a 5 year old complex (or younger- but not brand new) in the immediate area? This is the true value of a unit in the area. Brand new ones are invariably over-inflated, and if you have to sell, your unit is second hand and only worth what the existing units are worth in the area.
    Lots of Depreciation and tax benefits are nice, and what I look for, but they only soften the blow of a loss; they won't always cut out the (cashflow) loss.

If you have a poor rent return (less than current loan interest) and are planning to buy and hold, have a 100% finance, and there is limited cap growth, you are going to be out of pocket (even after the tax benefits) for a long time to make no money. Not my idea of investing.

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

Gooooooo West…life is peaceful there, goooooo west, out in the open air, goooooooooo west, something something something, gooo west, that is what we'll do!!!!!!!!

Do not be afraid young Jedi, for the west is a gold mine….my PPOR value jumped up 100% in 2 years…beat that city sardines!!!!

Profile photo of oneiriceroneiricer
    @oneiricer

Hi, im new to the property investment game as well, but after reading through i thought i'd point out one thing that glared at me –

Quote – " – Low vacant rate (according to local agencies)"

I would double and triple check this.  Local agencies obvioiusly will tell you its a low vacant rate, especiall if you're an investor. check this out. What is the rental percentage, the vacancy rate in the area?

my friends were also planning on buying in melbourne's west, in melton. it looks good, the prices of the houses are really cheap (200k) and land is fairly big. so i thought we share a similiar situation.

also, does your place have good public transport/train lines? people that live in the west complain about having to drive to the city eastward in the morning, facing the sun, and driving home westward, also facing the sun. i know this has prompted one board member to relocate – thus the hosue that you rent will have to be a fairly cheap, "starter" house as people would eventually want to move eastward, unless they catch the train evreyday to work.

Profile photo of here to learnhere to learn
    @here-to-learn

we almost got caught up in the hype through a company called domain charter group when we did our homework we found out we could buy land and build through any local builder at around 30 to 40 k less than they were charging us. we thought the interest we would have to pay on the loan for the land whilst the house was being built was nothing compared to this and have since found out that as the intention was to build an investment property the interest is actually tax deductable. about the area i'm not so sure we will see. looks a nice area and has all the amenities.

Profile photo of gaga1227gaga1227
    @gaga1227

Thanks for all your help.

oneiricer, I'm fully aware of your concerns and they're actually mine as well, I know the agent is likely to say that but I really don't know how to double, triple check the information, can I have any help on this one?

Also, the sun issue, a few ppl told me that already,  I admit that and If I were go live there my reasons would be cheap rent and lifestyle, currently the medium rent is around 200/w based on my research, for the property I'm considering, I'm thinking no less than 250/w will make me happy; You can certainly find similar lifestyle in the east for a big family but it'll cost almost double the rent, my fairly rich friend does that cause he can afford to so. There's Sunbury station 10minutes away by driving and taking the train to CBD costs you no more than 25~30minutes.

Thanks again and good luck for your friend
    Johnny

@gaga1227
    L.A Aussie wrote:
    Hi gaga,

you sort of anwered you own question in part; my concern is all of the above, AND you are going for a 100% finance deal. This is a very dangerous level of exposure for your first deal.

One of the big dangers with "off the plan" purchases is buying at the right price in relation to the market. All new projects have a profit margin built into the purchase price for the developer, and quite often these sorts of projects are bought up by investors. The problem here is if they get into trouble, or there is a shortage of tenants, or both, they have to either sell, or drastically reduce the rent to get a tenant, and if you are also an owner in the complex then it directly affects the value of your unit and your rent returns should you need to sell or find another tenant. At 100% finance this is very dangerous.

This scenario happened in Melb with the inner-city apartments around 2003-04. Many were re-sold at big losses because there was an over-supply, no tenants to be found, so the rents dropped, many investors couldn't fund the extra neg cashflow and had to sell.

The SECOND buyers were the ones who did well.

Don't go into this deal purely for the tax advantages. They are the icing on the cake. The deal should stand on it's own before you apply the tax benefits.

What is the rent return? Is it at least the same as current loan interest rates? Check the actuals against other existing newer complexes in the area.
    What are the comparable prices of a 5 year old complex (or younger- but not brand new) in the immediate area? This is the true value of a unit in the area. Brand new ones are invariably over-inflated, and if you have to sell, your unit is second hand and only worth what the existing units are worth in the area.
    Lots of Depreciation and tax benefits are nice, and what I look for, but they only soften the blow of a loss; they won't always cut out the (cashflow) loss.

If you have a poor rent return (less than current loan interest) and are planning to buy and hold, have a 100% finance, and there is limited cap growth, you are going to be out of pocket (even after the tax benefits) for a long time to make no money. Not my idea of investing.

Thanks heaps Marc, I'm really happy to hear some good points of view. Yes, they're my concerns. I don't know a lot strategies for now and I only just finished Jan somers's book so pretty much that's my strategy. I'm open for different strategies if you're willing to share. And can I ask some further questions to your comments? Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by 100% finance deal?

Your explanation on the risk is very solid, but I really don't know what options I have to avoid all those, to buy in inner city or buy an old second hand property? I don't really want to buy an old house because of the possible maintenance. I want to buy in inner city but there're plenty rich ppl ATM pushing the price higher and higher. I can put all my money in and get one of those second hand unit that have high rental guarantee but that'll left little space for me to head on for another property shortly.
    That's why I go to Sunbury and trying to be a SECOND buyer in near future.

I know the tax return should not be the major reason for a deal, since I really want to get something back for my huge yearly tax, and doing -CF is the only way I know.

How do  I check the actuals against other existing newer complexes in the area? Do I ask the agent or developer? They gave me numbers makes me smile. Are they actual enough or is there some other way to find out?

How can I make sure on a deal that I'm not going to be out of pocket (even after the tax benefits) for a long time to make no money?

I checked some older houses and they're currently selling at a price that's 1~2% lower.

Another thing is, there's still some time before settlement and I don't need to put any of my money in till then.

Thanks again Marc, I know I ask a lot but I'll never get answers if I don't, I could do learning and research for years before I start but I'd rather take the first step even if it's not the best step I could have made. Willing to hear more of your comments, really helped my learning and knowledge.

Johnny

Profile photo of fozzyfozzy
    Participant
    @fozzy

Hi Johnny,

I live in Sunbury and was recently looking here to buy our first IP. We ended up buying a place in Ipswich instead but I have spent the last couple of months talking to property managers and real estate agents in Sunbury. I take it that you don't live in Sunbury so if you have any specific question let me know and I'll see if I can answer them.

Is there any reason why you are looking at buying an off the plan place rather than one of the newer established houses or completed house and land packages that are around? There is a newish estate in Sunbury that has a few houses under 4 or 5 years old for between $250K and $280K, I'm not sure how much the place is that you are looking at.

There was an article in the local paper this week about Sunbury's stagnating house prices saying that the median price only rose 0.9% in the last financial year from $251,000 to $252,250. The article blamed oversupply, high petrol prices and interest rates.

From speaking with the property managers here it does seem that rental demand is strong at the moment, but they always add the proviso "at the moment, can't guarantee how it will be in 2 months time when you settle". I also found that the rent estimates from various property managers seemed to vary quite a bit.

The train travel to Melbourne from Sunbury is generally 45-50 minutes for most peak time trains. There are a few Bendigo trains stopping in Sunbury that take around 30-35 minutes.

@gaga1227

Fozzy,

I don't live in Sunbury as you guessed and I do have questions for you:

– Is it a good place to live? why did you choose to live in Sunbury?
     – What's the most inconvenient thing living in Sunbury? Is it just the transport and distance?
     – What's the weather like there comparing to inner melbourne?
     – Where can I get authentic data of Cap growth in Sunbury?
     – Why did you choose Ipswich instead? Is it because of the low growth?

I choose off the plan place so I can have my money a bit longer and possibly more time to look for better properties while have this one secured if I can't. I prefer new house because of depreciation. The property I'm considering is around 260k.

I'm not sure about the big growth but  tend to believe it will. Last year's 1% growing is horrible but innormal I think. What about the average growth in 10 years? Maybe last year is the bottom of the curve, maybe from last year till now most investors only interested in eastern suburbs…

Those are really helpful information and I will do some more work on it, thanks.

Johnny

Participant
    @fozzy
    gaga1227 wrote:
    Fozzy,

I don't live in Sunbury as you guessed and I do have questions for you:

– Is it a good place to live? why did you choose to live in Sunbury?

I think its a good place to live. Coming from Bendigo and resisting a move to Melbourne for as long as possible Sunbury seemed like a good place for a country lad like me. We knew some people who lived here so we had spent a small amount of time in Sunbury. We originally rented for a while before we bought a block of land and built here. It still has a bit of the big country town feel about it which suits me, but I know that it puts a lot of people off because they think it is "out in the sticks".

gaga1227 wrote:
    – What's the most inconvenient thing living in Sunbury? Is it just the transport and distance?

I don't really find anything inconvenient about living here, but many people complain about the public transport. I think wherever you go people will be complaining about the public transport. The trains from Sunbury are V/Line so they don't run as regularly as Met trains, but that has improved a lot in the last 2 years.

It has been said that there isn't much to do for younger people (15-25 year olds) in Sunbury and there has been some talk about youth related problems, although I have never noticed that.

I think the area really suits people starting a family and those with younger children and that seems to be the types of people that are coming to Sunbury.

gaga1227 wrote:
    – What's the weather like there comparing to inner melbourne?

It gets pretty windy here and sometimes it is bloody cold, but I don't think that is too different to many parts of Melbourne.

gaga1227 wrote:
    – Where can I get authentic data of Cap growth in Sunbury?

I'm not sure, but I have the following figures from another forum

Median House Price 1994: $110,000
    Median House Price 2004: $240,000
    118% increase.

I don't know how accurate these figures are and I know that in that 10 year time frame there was a lot of new land released and a lot of new houses built which I seem to recall skews the figures somehow.

gaga1227 wrote:
    – Why did you choose Ipswich instead? Is it because of the low growth?

The main reason we wanted to invest in Sunbury was because it was going to be our first IP and we wanted something close to home to get the hang of investing. We offered on one place but didn't get it and then a buyer's agent that we had engaged showed us the place in Ipswich which we liked. We had thought we might get something in Queensland eventually so we thought we might as well get our first IP there. Now that we have our first property our main reason for investing in Sunbury has gone so it is likely our second won't be in Sunbury. I'm keen to build an IP at some stage so when I'm ready to do that I will look at Sunbury again because I would like to build somewhere close by.

Because of the low growth and the fact that there is still a fair amount of land to be released I don't think I need to rush to buy something in Sunbury.

gaga1227 wrote:
    I choose off the plan place so I can have my money a bit longer and possibly more time to look for better properties while have this one secured if I can't. I prefer new house because of depreciation. The property I'm considering is around 260k.

I'm not sure about the big growth but tend to believe it will. Last year's 1% growing is horrible but innormal I think. What about the average growth in 10 years? Maybe last year is the bottom of the curve, maybe from last year till now most investors only interested in eastern suburbs…

Those are really helpful information and I will do some more work on it, thanks.

Johnny

Do you know the name of the estate where you are looking to buy and is it through one of the local real estate agents or directly though a builder?  Have you spoken to one of the property managers in Sunbury that aren't affiliated with whoever you are buying through?

Profile photo of rboothrbooth
    @rbooth

Hi gaga,

For what it's worth, I'll broadly outline my experience with the West.
    I lived in Sunbury for 15yrs until my divorce in the late 90s when I moved to Melton. Sunbury was a great place to live and as I worked for Ansett at the airport, it was conveient. Having read Jan Somers first property book back in the early 90s, I immediately purchased two IPs in Sunbury. Unfortunately with the demise of Ansett in 2001, I was forced after 18mths to sell one of them.

I now live in Melton and have done for the past 9 years and also own an IP here.
    My brother has owned three IPs in Melton over the years also.
    What I have found is,  Melton properties have always had better yield than Sunbury, coupled with low vacancy rates. Houses are generally much cheaper in Melton and from my experience, Sunburys equity growth has been no better than Melton.
    I am currently looking at more property in Melton due to its affordabillty and the fact that it is growing extremely fast.
    The Deer Park by-pass will also reduce travel times to Melbourne in the future and the building of a new horse racing track (to replace Moonee Valley) out here is also a bonus.
    I am no expert, but from where I sit there is nothing wrong with the West.
    Which is better, Sunbury or Melton? I couldn't say, but I think you could at least check out Melton and draw your own conclusions.

I hope I have been of some help and not just confused you even more as I know how difficult a decision it is.

Lots of  luck.

Russ

@gaga1227

Thanks a lot Fozzy and Russ, your experience and information are really helpful to me.

Russ, I just did a quick look at the data and what you said is right, but why people want to go even further to Melton and paying higher rent there? I haven't been to Melton so I don't have any idea.

Fozzy, thanks again for all the answers. Yes, I spoke to local agents and they told me pretty much what you said, higher rental demand ATM but a lot more properties are coming as well. They cannot predict the growth and they told me average growth is 9% for past 10 years, a little higher than your number, so I guess that's accurate. I'm also look forward to talking to a buy's agent, can I known which one you engaged?

Thanks,
    Johnny

Participant
    @fozzy
    gaga1227 wrote:
    Fozzy, thanks again for all the answers. Yes, I spoke to local agents and they told me pretty much what you said, higher rental demand ATM but a lot more properties are coming as well. They cannot predict the growth and they told me average growth is 9% for past 10 years, a little higher than your number, so I guess that's accurate. I'm also look forward to talking to a buy's agent, can I known which one you engaged?

Thanks,
    Johnny

Hi Johnny,

We used Paul Wilson and his team at We Find Houses – http://www.wefindhouses.com.au

@rbooth

HI gaga,

I notice you mention you 'checked out the data' for Melton & Sunbury. Could you tell me what or where that data is? I wouldn't mind checking it myself.
    BTW,one thing that is a drawback with Sunbury is access to the CBD.  The old Sunbury to Tullamarine Airport road is absolutely terrible in peak times as is the Calder Hwy if you enter the CBD the other way.
    I'm not saying the Western Hwy is a dream either, but as I mentoned in the last post, the new by-pass should help alleviate that problem.

Anyway keep on looking, coz I know I am.

Russ

@gaga1227

Russ,

I checked the sales price and growth on RPdata.com, they have free basic suburb reports. And I checked rents on major real estate sites like domain, realestate.com.au and realestateview.  Hope this helps. So you reckon the transport is the major factor that makes Melton more attractive then? What is the new by-pass? where can I find out more about it?

Thanks heaps,
    Johnny

@rbooth

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for that, I will look those figures up.
    As far as the by-pass, it's called the Deer park by-pass and will supposedly shave off 10-15mins driving time to the city and will join up with Ring road when it is completed. It has been mentioned in the local papers here for quite a while and I think if you check the Shire of Melton website or any others along the Western Hwy you will get the info you need.
    If I am correct, try checking a current Melway  and I think you will find it marked as future road works at Deer Park.
     If you do decide to look over this way, drop me a line, I'm more than happy to have a chat with like minded people.

Russ

@gaga1227

Thanks Russ,

That looks like will help the cap growth for the suburbs alongside, also the airport development plan will help the surrounding west suburbs, I was looking at Sunbury cause I was only offered properties by an agent. Looks like Melton and surroundings are interesting. I haven't decided which way to look for now, need to talk and listen more, currently also looking at Frankston. I would be more than happy to chat with you about PI and I will once I decided where to go.

Johnny

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.