All Topics / Help Needed! / How to sell your self

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of podneypodney
    Participant
    @podney

Hello everybody,
    We have just completed our first reno and house has come up a treat, We have decided to sell the house ourself but is hard to find the right place to advertise. We did post an add on domain.com and has had a number of hits. We did get over 25 people through the door over the weekend with an add in the paper. We are just wondering if any one knows a good advertising place as would like to get it on realestate.com but not allowed.
    please take a look at the house and would love to hear your opinions.
    http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006560400
    Cheers

Profile photo of dreamingdreaming
    @dreaming

I went down a similar path to yours, done a reno then sold it, brought a new car because the money was there.
    I do things differently now, I hold the properties and buy another one using the equity I,ve built up. This works better for me, takes away the temptation to spend money on things I don't need.
    But hey everyones path is different, not preaching though. I spent countless hours reading different topics on this forum and books, for me it now makes sense to hold my properties.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Hi Podney

Im gonna be brutally honest.

first, street appeal is quite low. you should have rendered the front and resprayed the roof. the plants look enemic. either get the garden growing earlier or spend the extra on more established plants. I do however like tinted windows as a replacement for lace. the letterbox is uninspiring also.

who is davis & park, & why oh why didnt you put in a mixer tap? that box unit a/c isnt a feature I would brag about, and all a/c’s have a remote, its like selling a car and telling people it has a steering wheel. diswasher allowance? you are drawing attention to the fact you didnt bother to put one in. dont do that.

dont say oiled floors, makes people think they will slip or get oil on their clothes. say polished…..but you dont need to say that as they can see from the photos, plus its listed as a feature in point form. people dont care about a fence being freshly painted. bathroom looks good.

“Quality curtains and Tinted windows throughout for privacy.” – car comparison…….it comes with 4 wheels so you can go down the road. they look horrid except for the white ones in the lounge. a/c lead is an eyesore. pelmet over kitchen / dining door still there and should be removed if theres no door. dining table looks like its eating up a lot of room. turn it round. painting in the lounge is all wrong. back yard is fine. maybe more plant variety.

dont say things like “rare quality” as thats a big claim that people automaticly take as B.S. 121m2 living area? the lounge is that big? have you ever seen an ad telling you the square meterage of a house?

“Outside provides a secure rear yard with low maintenance drought tolerant gardens.”

have you ever seen a yard INSIDE? why waste peoples time telling them its outside?

hope my rambling helps you sell :)

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

this web site might be of interest to your situation
    http://www.noagentproperty.com.au/

Profile photo of podneypodney
    Participant
    @podney

Thanks for your opinion on house crashy,
    Do know there are few things we could have done but knowing the area would not have been worth the extra expense. We did have a couple of offers on the house in the 225+ range. All 30 people through the house on the weekend loved it and not one negative was said. House is in housing trust area and if you were to look at others in area you would see that is a cut above the rest. Garden out the front would have been done first thing but tree loppers could not remove 3 massive trees any earlier, therefore slowing gardes up. We are also on no watering restrictions here so no point putting in lawns only to have them die off.  
    Thanks for feed back and will change a few things you have suggested, but was really after Advertising locations eg. we have it on domain and was after some other good places to advertise.  
    Podney

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

people coming through and saying they love it doesnt mean much. people who are REALLY interested will find the smallest issues to whine about…..its a game of poker. plus the owner was there and people never say anything bad when the owner is there.

Profile photo of kkingkking
    @kking

Hi Podney,

Here is a web link to my house I sold a couple of months back you may get some ideas from. I 'listed' it in Feb 07 (no agent, just me, a web site, street signage, open houses and a letter box drop) and it sold mid May 07 for $425K. 

http://mckinley.premierwd.com.au/index.php

Good luck

Profile photo of runinnivruninniv
    @runinniv

Much like 'A New Man' mentioned in  their post, we sold our first property, purchased a car… and got hit with CGT. Ahhh However we wanted to sell and needed the car, and the CGT was a good lesson.  We had not researched this enough and should have looked into it more (in case this is relevant). 

We researched sale prices in the area, advertised it in the local paper and sat tight.  My attitude is that if the house is worth the market rate and I am in no rush to sell and buyers are around, then I can afford to wait for the right buyer to come along.   We had many people contact us and organise inspections. LOTS called/enquired, some looked. 

Much like myself, many of the people were looking for a bargain and didn't want to pay what we wanted for it.  However, because we were not in a rush we could afford to wait, we did get a buyer (about a month of waiting) and the price we wanted. 

Lastly, I thought that 'Crashy' had some good points but a little strong in the delivery (of advise).  Important to note that this is your first Reno and new to the 'game'.   Some excellent advise Crashy, but could be lost in the strong delivery – Just a thought.  

Cheers and best of luck     

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.