All Topics / Help Needed! / Cheapest way to build?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of EznEzn
    @ezn

I have just been looking at adenbrook homes and some other home builders, particularly for small lots and I was just wondering a few things. While in alot of cases its an advantage to pick the design and know roughly what its going to look like, is it the cheapest and best way to do it. Alternativly I would use a company that takes care of the design of the home and design something specific for a particular lot.

What are your past experiences in doin this and which way do you find to work best and be most profitable.

cheers

Profile photo of clifmandclifmand
    Participant
    @clifmand

Looking at doing this ourselves. I understand that if you use one of their plans it should be cheaper because you do not need the services of their designer again and the plans would have already been through council there should not be a problem. If you are thinking of an investment property I would choose your builder carefully, if you choose one that has a long waiting list (they will not tell you) you could be waiting a while for any rental return.

Cliff.

Profile photo of okkamooieokkamooie
    @okkamooie

Hi EZN

If you are looking for the cheepest property I don't think you can go past a project home builder.  One that has plans in place.  They are cheeper because the design costs are spread over mutile clients, their costings are very accurate (very little waste) and can generally get them up a bit faster than a private builder.  To gague value make sure you compare apples with apples in inclusions quality and come up with the cost per square metre of floor area as a comparison value.   This is especally the case if you only intend to build one every now and again.

Are they the best, i'm unsure.  It may be difficulty to get a plan that makes the most of your block it's orrientation or neighbouring housing issue.  The cost of design approx 2k may be worth it if you can make good use of the best aspects of the block.

I have used both but tend to use the latter to ensure I make the most of the block (especally if it is not a rectangle).  I also use a local builder as I do some of the work myself and he is happy to have me onsite and work along side him or his subbies.  It is unlikley that you could do this with a project builder.

Good luck deciding

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.