All Topics / Help Needed! / Lendes Mortgage Insruance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

If I buy a 200K property, with 35K in hand, use 20K as a deposit and use the other 15K as reno costs(and park it in the offset) then I will have a LVR of 90. How would I go about caluclating LMI, note that with the 15K in the offset i will be renovating and will bring hte property to 225K+, making the LVR to be exactly 80%(thats after 6 months of reno).

So how much do you reckon the LMI would costs????????
    Does it depend on purchase price,(e.g. a 90LVR of a 100K property would have less LMI then a 90LVR of a 200K property), Does it depend on your LVR(an LVR of 85 will be cheaper than 86, and 87 and so on.)??

Christopher Fife.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Chris

LMI is based on a combination of 3 things:

1) Loan amount on a scaled basis 0-$300K / $300 – $500K and $500K and over.
    2) Whether the loan in interest only or prinicpal & interest.
    3) The LVR.

The post code of the property is also a major influence on whether cover can be provided or not.

The premium is based on the advanced amount as a percentage of the purchase price / valuation whichever is the lower and there is no allowance for funds held in an offset account.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks QLDs. Is there a way that I can actually find out the specifics. I input the data and the postcode and get an amount back for LMI.

Chris.

Participant
    @qlds007

Chris

Each lender and both of the main mortgage insurers has a different scale however use check out http://www.pmigroup..com.au
    as this will give you a guide.

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks again Richard, that webstie helped.

I also found out another website(actually a PDF) http://www.prosolution.com.au/articles/gear.pdf

From a quick skim, a 200K house with a 180K mortgage(90LVR), ON AVERAGE it would be 1.00% of the loan amount, e.g. $1800. If the LMI is going to be this, then i'm not worried at all. I was expecting like atleast $4,000 even up to 6-7K.

Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
    Christopher Fife.

Participant
    @qlds007

That will give you a guide however as i mentioned earlier each lender charges a different rate dependant on who they use to cover the loans. Both the LMI companies offer different rates to the lenders dependant on volumes.

Yes for a 90% LVR you are looking at around 1% of the loan amount. This would increase over $300K of course and again over $500K.

Participant
    @draconisv

1% sounds nice.

I know it can vary according to lenders and the LMI company used.

Also, this counts as a borrowing cost, and it will be over $100, so it should be tax-deductable over 5 years.

So say it costs $2,000.
    Over 5 years, $400 per year.
    Say 30% tax rate thats $120 back each year for 5 years.
    So i'm actually quite happy with our findings, thanks.

Christopher Fife.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.