All Topics / Help Needed! / Cash for reno!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Say I have a 35K deposit and I am going to buy an investment property. I am going to live in there for 6 months to get the FHOG and renovate it, then i'll move out and rent it out.

So I buy the property for 200K. Therefore I will have a 165K mortgage(82.5LVR).

How do I go about getting cash for the reno(say 15K), I have heard of a Line Of Credit, its like a sort of credit card attached to your loan at loan interest rates.Is this correct?

How would i go about organising this?

Would I have to organise this initially so I know that I will be getting this cash available when i reno?

Also could I tell the bank that I will be renovating it and its value will be going up, so they an value the property at a much higher value thus maybe making it easier to get finance(plus reno costs finance)??

Please help here, this has been bugging me for quite some time but I always seem to forget when I get on the forums.

Best Regards,
    Christopher Fife.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Draconis

No doesnt work quiet like that.

If you intend to eventually rent the property out you would be better off to take out a 95% LVR from day 1 on an interest only loan and invest your surplus funds in a 100% offset A/c.

When you undertake the renovations dip into the offset account.

Most lenders will then allow you to revalue the security.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Good idea there 007. Um but i have no credit rating at all, and the deposit should be crucial in them lending me the money. How would I  be able to go about getting a 95% loan with no credit rating. Also the income that the loan will be use will be 2 income earners with i reckon $1000 in total after tax per week. so  would they lend to me. If not what other routes can I take for this situation.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
    Christopher Fife.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

there is no such thing as a credit rating in Australia.

you either have a bad credit history or you don't.

Sounds like you have nothing adverse which is fine.

Cheers,

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

As Simon mentioned if you are referring to a FICO score or similar you are not referring to lending here in Oz but in the US.

Grab a copy of your credit file and see what the lender will see and you can make your own mind up.
    Alternatively once you have a copy get your mortgage broker to scour over the credit file and give you an assessment.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Ah thanks guys.

So having no credit history and those details given above do you reckon that going with the 95% option will work?

Did you have any alternatives to the 95% LVR and using offset as reno costs.

Also just another quick question. I think(kind aassume) that credit cards will hurt me getting a loan as they will see that limit of credit as another amount to be in debt and hence a higher risk, is this right?? is there anything else??

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Christopher Fife.

Profile photo of emmajane06emmajane06
    @emmajane06

Credit cards don't hurt they sting!
    I had a limit upwards of 16k and even though I only owed 1500 the lender was not too happy, so I reduced my limit to 2k which hurt but gave me a huge increase in borrowing capacity as they assume you will always have the card at its limit and you will be paying a minimum of 2% per month so at 16000 = 320 but 2000 = 40 = $280 per month more cashflow.

Cheers,
    Emma

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.