All Topics / Help Needed! / Bouncing off my ideas and need your input

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of bezyourselfbezyourself
    Participant
    @bezyourself

Hi,

I got an investment property in St Albans (VIC), the land is big enuf to be sub-divided into 2 separate lots. My situation are:

1. The weatherboard house at front with 2.4m driveway on the side of the house

2.  The big enuf backyard to be sub-divided and build another property at the back

My problem is the driveway not wide enuf (expect to be minimum of 3 m) to get approveal from council to sub-divide the land.

So, there are several options availabe to me:

1. Widen the driveway 3m by narrowing the side wall approx 1m into the building. Because the building is on stumping so it is not too hard and required re-wiring at the end of the job.

2. Re-located this existing dwelling to the backyard with crane or something. Re-stumpting and re-run all necessary facilities as such water, gas, electricity. Then subdivide the land into 2 lots.

I now need your input as such:
    1. Which is more feasible to me.
    2. Do you know any company that doing the building re-location as I want, I can able find people to do the stumping job. It would be great if someone can do both. I just need your input/guidance/tips/hints. I will do all the rest.

Thank you in advance.

Please response to this post or email me directly to email address below:

[email protected]   

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

First of all, can you spell "enough" correctly?
    The English language is like, being eroded away at a frightening like, rate as it is, without these Americanised text-style spelling mutations, like.
    This is not a cell phone.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

I personally think re-locating may end up less of a hassle and actually give you a bit more scope to place the property in a better spot all together. Cutting a bit of the house is probably not as costly, but you are decreasing the house size and  the house will still be next to the new driveway….my 2 cents.

Profile photo of bezyourselfbezyourself
    Participant
    @bezyourself

OK, I have the same idea as you Handy Andy. But do you know or point me the right direction to find business with relocation house like I want? do you think Yellowpages(c) will be my first portal?

What keyword to search for????

Regards, 

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

My two cents. Make sure its viable. I recently looked at a older place in a central area on a 1500 square block. So i did the sums.
    Subdivide block through council        $30,000   ( Could be more apparently)                                             Renovations                                           $20,000
    Fencing and driveways etc                  $10,000
      House in question went for $350,000  Plus above expenses =$410,000 + purchase costs = $420,000

Now sale time
    Similar houses near by with same reduced size yard go for around  $260,000 Or less
    Similar blocks are on the market nearby for $160 And not selling
    Plus agents sellin fees Around $ 5,000(Total guess)

Add up time
    Cost                    $420,000 Plus agent fees  $425,000
    Resale price     $420,000

Yet the idiot who bought the place intends to do what i have said.This is a rough estimate and might not apply to you but i have seen a lot of people in the local area stuck with overpriced battle axe blocks. Be careful. My two cents.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

why not just build a 2nd residence at the back and rent it out?

Profile photo of bezyourselfbezyourself
    Participant
    @bezyourself

I don't think it cost up to $30,000 for council for approval (in my case anyway as per conversation with my architecture).  I will check out the council website again after this post.

Say I can re-located my existing dwelling to the rear of the land. Then sub-divided the land.

There are few options:
    1) I sell the land + with building permit and plans.. 
    2) Buil a NEW house (3 Bed Rooms) with separate title and the sell.
    3) Find a cheao house-only then re-located into the land
    4) Any other suggestion?

Which on more feasible? and most profitable? let me know your opinion.

Response to Crashy's question:

It is not as simple as we think. The council won't allow us to build another dwelling with driveway less than 3m as mention inmy first post. However:

1) We can build another Bungalow (i,e NO kitchen, same gas meter, same eletricity meter, same water meter as 1st dwelling). So I do not want thi exercise this option at all.

2) Other things has been mentioned in my first post.

That's all folks

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Check your council fees.It can be expensive to draw a boundry on council plans. You might be un pleasantly suprised.Find out what other battle axe blocks nearby are selling for.( Not what they are asking) Also remember the house on the front block will sell for significantly less with the reduced land size and house to the back.

Profile photo of YvetteFYvetteF
    @yvettef

I recently bought a house with older style fibro house on front block with council approval to subdivide rear of block (1300 sqr block) like you I needed to widen access past house to get to rear block, this consisted of knocking down side of existing house and removing a garage / granny flat room thing.
    The costs blew out as they tend to but the main ones that I didn't consider were that
    1. I needed to lodge another development application to knock down and rebuild side of house and remove garage,  this included having plans drawn and council fees for the application, the actually work cost $12000 to have walls removed, roof and walls rebuilt, $3000 for garage to be knocked down and taken away
    2. Driveway needed to be 4 metre wide access and actually concrete driveway was 3 metres wide (might be different in VIC) drive alone cost $15000
    3. Even with existing approval, costs to council were $9500 for water and $4500 for council, plus some miscellanous ones
    It has been difficult and took a few months and that was with existing subdivision approval!  Current market not great so I have to hold block until I build or things go up!
    But if you do all your research and figures and it adds up – Go for it! 
    If I did it again I would use the orginal surveyors who drew up original subdivision proposal to oversee the whole project!"

Profile photo of demkeldemkel
    Participant
    @demkel

Try a Town Planner for the best advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.