All Topics / Help Needed! / Depreciation questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Hi all. A couple of quick questions.
    1#I plan on buying a trailer to carry equipment to maintain my IP. If the trailer is second hand can i still claim it against tax
    2#I have a quantity surveyor going through my property soon but the conversations i have has so far tells me he isnt real interested in finding everything too depreciate. I explained all the details of my property,some being that it is 40 years old but had a major reno done in 04 doubling its size plus many other new additions but he seemed not fussed.There are limited local surveyors to do the job so if i am unhappy with his report and that he left something out can i bring it up with my tax consultant. What are my options. Cheers.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

You can still claim the trailer on your tax return. Your accountant will probably depreciate it for you.

With the house, the depreciation on the building runs out after 40 years, but you can still depreciate the renos. Try another surveyor in the area, or if you can, ask the previous owner if they have any receipts from the renos. These will be good enough for the accountant.

You can also try googling QS firms in your general area and see if any are willing to travel to your town.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.