All Topics / Help Needed! / Is it possible to buy a house from owners that are overseas?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of crystalleezcrystalleez
    Participant
    @crystalleez

Hey guys,

Has anyone come across a property up for sale, listed on Agents website, but hit some difficulty because the vendor is overseas?

I've recently found a prop that so far, without looking inside the prop, meets my criteria. My by research, if the property is in average condition inside (old kitchen, in need of new flooring plus all round tidy up) then the price they are asking in about 10k – 15k under market value. I'm really eager to get a look inside to confirm things.

I called the Agent to enquire about an inspection time and he told me that it's not possible to look through it at the moment because the vendor is overseas. He says they are not sure when he will be back, so they're only taking names and numbers at this stage.

I asked if the Vendor was still "hearing" offers. The agents reply was (in a "are you stupid?" tone, "noo because he's over seas, we don't have the keys to show ppl into the property and he's not in the country to sign any sale documents anyway".

Is it not possible for someone to sell their house whilst being overseas? I would have thought it would be as simple as faxing over the documents to have checked and signing on the dotted line. But then again I've not yet brought any properties, so I'm no expert.

I dont want to just sit on the bottom of a waiting list until the vendor comes back. The market where I'm looking it hot and this may be a bargin. It's in a great position and as I said, around 15k under market value (They're asking 180k, similiar are going for 195k- 200k.

Is there something proactive I can do to get the upper hand? Is it still possible for ppl to sell a property whilst not in the country? I'm thinking that perhaps because the seller is overseas, they're unaware of the recent interest in the area and subsequent jump in prices. If I could swoop in while everyone else is just leaving numbers, and make an offer, this could work? Any suggestions how I could go about this

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Crystal

Profile photo of crystalleezcrystalleez
    Participant
    @crystalleez

I'll answer my own question (thanks to alot of help on another site), just incase anyone was curious…
    YES it is possible. The vendor may appoint a Power of Attorney to act on their behalf. Alternatively, I may add a clause in the contract stating "signed faxed copies of documents are accepted as conctract".

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Crystal

Of cause it's possible to sell a house while your overseas, as you've now posted yourself. I've sold 2 that way myself with my sister signing for me using a power of attorney. I don't think that is actually your problem.

I don't think the vendor is interested to sell the house yet otherwise they would have left a key, at least, to enable inspections. The only suggestion I have is maybe if you can find out who the owners are and locate a relative (parents of, or children of), maybe via neighbours you may be able to get more information. 

I wish you success 
    Elka 

Profile photo of crystalleezcrystalleez
    Participant
    @crystalleez

Hi Elka,

I actually found out that the owners family are currently living in the property. So I don't know what to problem was about keys being available. I've decided to make a written offer on the property tomorrow including the following clauses:
    Subject too building and pest inspections. Subject too finance. Subject too inspection of the property being satisfactory to the purhcaser and subject too signed faxed copies of documents being accepted as contract.
    I'll also be including an end date of 5pm on Thursday 17th May 2007. I'm hoping this will get the agents doing everything they can (incease they haven't been up until this point) to make contact with the owner. I'll also be ensuring that the agents have spoken to the family members currrently living in the property, incase they are in contact with the owner.

We'll see how it goes

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Crystal

Good luck. I would love to know the outcome so please post it.

Elka

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.